Change engine oil light on dash

corvettebob

Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
I don't have the info center so there is a light on the dash that sez change engine oil. I've only had the light come on once because I've only owned the Envoy for a year. As I remember when the light came on it stayed on till I reset it when I changed the oil. I have noticed that it now comes on when I start the engine and stays on aprox. 10 sec. after the other lights go off. I don't remember it doing this before. I tried resetting it but it still comes on and stays on for aprox. 10 sec after the other lights go off. Does this sound right?? I'm sure it never did that before but maybe I just didn't notice. ( 2004 4.2 6 XUV ) Total miles 40,000, time since last oil chg. 2,600, weather cold 20/35 deg, avg. trip daily 9 miles each way.:confused:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! You're describing the exact normal behavior of the Oil Life Monitor light. Your reset process isn't working. Sometimes the timing is tricky. Try it again a little faster or slower. When reset, the OLM light doesn't persist after the other ones go out.

corvettebob

Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
the roadie said:
Welcome! You're describing the exact normal behavior of the Oil Life Monitor light. Your reset process isn't working. Sometimes the timing is tricky. Try it again a little faster or slower. When reset, the OLM light doesn't persist after the other ones go out.

It's Da timing Boss, It's Da Timing. I waited till all other lights were out and hit the gas 3 times. It worked the first time :thumbsup: And a tip of the ole hat to you:rotfl:

mrwitty_1

Jan 28, 2014
Changed engine oil along with other items that needed attention on the Envoy. My problem is I can not get the CHANGE ENG OIL to reset. The light was not on but not knowing the last service I changed it over to full synthetic 5W30 and wanted to reset the lamp. I tried the 3 times with in 5 seconds slow, faster, all lights on all lights off still no flashing back :crazy:

Any suggestions ?
Thank You !

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Are you pressing the brake pedal or the gas pedal 3X?

I made this mistake three years ago when I was in a hurry I pressed the brake pedal. This is even though I new the right procedure. It just slipped my mind that day.:duh:

corvettebob

Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
corvettebob said:
I don't have the info center so there is a light on the dash that sez change engine oil. I've only had the light come on once because I've only owned the Envoy for a year. As I remember when the light came on it stayed on till I reset it when I changed the oil. I have noticed that it now comes on when I start the engine and stays on aprox. 10 sec. after the other lights go off. I don't remember it doing this before. I tried resetting it but it still comes on and stays on for aprox. 10 sec after the other lights go off. Does this sound right?? I'm sure it never did that before but maybe I just didn't notice. ( 2004 4.2 6 XUV ) Total miles 40,000, time since last oil chg. 2,600, weather cold 20/35 deg, avg. trip daily 9 miles each way.:confused:

Had to try 2 or 3 times to get the tming right, but it works:crazy:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online