Catalytic converter replacement options EPA vs carb

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Hello everyone I have a 07 Saab 97x with a 5.3, According to the sticker the replacement for my cats are supposed to be carb however I don't live in a carb state, would EPA cats trigger a code or no? Haven't seen to get a clear answer here yet.

And are there any recommendations for aftermarket cats?

So far I have a y pipe replacement from eBay and of course it Doesn't work

Reactions: xavierny25

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Since you live in Queens, New York... Check out this Link to the NY DMV on SMOG issues and then Google for any specific legislation in NY that might further nail down whether or not they make any distinctions or limitations for substitutions.

Mostly... it comes down to not violating State Laws by means of modifying the OEM Hardware in any way... and of course... whatever is being recorded by their Five Gas Analyzer that winds up coming out of the Tail Pipe. A Brand New Non-CARB Catalytic Converter could wind up just being "An Expensive, Pretty Face...":

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Don't live in queens anymore that's why I was wondering about the more affordable end of converters. No tailpipe checks are done either just obd checks for a mil light

Reactions: mrrsm

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
When the passenger side cat went bad on my Envoy, I had a shop cut out the old one and throw in a Walker Ultra EPA 93253 in its place. My county is the only one that still enforces emissions testing (both OBD, and tailpipe) every other year. Its passed every single time for the last 4 years of having the Walker installed.

I'd go for the cheaper option.

Reactions: mrrsm and Gerbil21

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online