Cat

bigytwotone

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
Hello guys so my truck has a little issue the cat is getting plugged now I know I need to replace the o2 sensors but what els??? And can I do this in my driveway I'm good at welding but have not looked under my truck as I have one foot of snow and can't get to a dry place. Any help is great plZ

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Seems the most common cause of cat failure/clogging is thermostat failure causing the engine to run cold
and rich. How's the operating temperature of your truck? How many miles? Did you get it used? If so, it's always possible that
the previous owner had problems that weren't fixed in time, even if it worked properly when you got it.

A failed temperature sensor could also cause the truck to think it was running cold, but it does seem the thermostat
is the more common failure.

And yeah, you could do it in your driveway, but I'd invest in a set of insulated coveralls or something if the snow is that deep.

Good Luck!

Chris

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Ah...yeah, if it was running for awhile with a bad thermostat, that could easily be the reason for the clogged cat. The PCM
throws more fuel in the mixture because it thinks it's running too cold. The unburnt fuel tends to build up and clog the passageways
in the cat.

You may have noticed rough shifting during the time the thermostat was working improperly. Same reason...the PCM adjusts the
shift points to try to get the engine to come up to operating temperature faster.

If it gets too bad, heats up too slowly, it'll throw a P0128 code, but it can still be running badly enough to clog the cat without
throwing the code.

At least since you've changed it, that's one less item to deal with in the snow!

Cheers-

Chris

bigytwotone

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
So I have been looking at parts and need some help what should I do about the cat a OEM one or after market??? what tips of after market? Do I need a setting brand o2 sensor?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well, a OEM Cat is going to be a straight foward, and the fastest, change out. Undo the bolts in your exhaust system for your old Cat, put in your new Cat, bolt it up, and done.

On the O2 Sensor, I always recomend staying AWAY from Bosch. They were never designed with the intent for american/asian vehicles, and have always caused me more problems. I always buy ACDelco O2 sensors for a GM vehicle.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
my checklist would include:
spark plugs 41-103
fuel filter
air filter

anything that can muck up the combustion can overwork the cat.

Also, I recommend a nice, big cardboard box flat on the ground. will keep you off the snow and a bit warmer and might catch that dropped nut.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Enderbygrandpa said:
I don't think you can get the oe cat out without dropping the tranny support bracket.

Probably correct, you might be able to unbolt everything then push the front of the pipe up further into the engine bay, then drop it out. But I havent dont it on my I6 yet, waiting for Kooks to finish their design then Ill be swapping mine out probably in May.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Oh dear, I didn't know it was going to be that involved. I didn't plan on touching the tranny support bracket. I was thinking to save money by getting the universal 2.5" Magnaflow Cat and cutting out my old and welding on the new. That new Cat from Advance Auto with a coupon would cost $80. It is time for mine to be changed...

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Enderbygrandpa said:
I don't think you can get the oe cat out without dropping the tranny support bracket.

I think you only need to drop the crossmember for the XL/EXT's because the catalytic converter section is longer compared to the SWB.

Being on a lift would be best as well. Some of the nuts where the cat section connects to the muffler section may need to be torched/cut off. Rather tought to do with the vehicle on the ground with only 8 inches of clearance.

bigytwotone

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
well i got all the parts then we get a snow fall warning OMG snow plz let me fix my truck all i want is to have better gas mileage any who time for me to go lay in the 17" of snow we got. :smile:
:wootwoot::wootwoot:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online