Cargo covers

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Does anyone see the logic behind a cargo cover. If I'm a thief looking into your vehicle and I see a cargo cover pulled, I'm thinking, they must have something nice under there...I'm going in to have a look. Am I missing something? 😷

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I dont think that way about a cargo cover or a tonneau cover at all.

I definitely agree its is see not want not. Esp with nearly all these having tinted rear windows, you glance and see nothing with the cargo cover pulled and they walk right by. Prolly do not even realize with tint that there is a cover, just see a void. You do not have a cover and they glance and see speakers or a toolbox or some bags and BAM...you are losing your shit.

I keep mine cargo area covered about all the time. Even though there really aint much back there most of the time.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yeah, you're missing something... a criminal mindset. :laugh:

Someone in the smash-n-grab biz isn't going to incur risk for what 'might' be there... it might be something of little value... or nothing at all. No, the opportunistic & enterprising thief goes after what he sees, and can figure out he can get rid of quickly, for cash.

The two big exceptions are drug addicts, who can get so desperate they become a total wild card (but they make too many mistakes and get caught quickly, for the most part), and people who knew what was there in the first place (so now you get to take stock of your 'friends'.)

There are a couple of other scenarios (like bumping your stereo through a sketchy area, parking, and then leaving the rig parked there a long time). But for the most part... 'out of sight, out of mind' applies.

Almost forgot... GM promoted two other uses for the 'hard' cover... one was as a parcel shelf. The other was as a preventative for having things roll around the cargo area (configured in the 'standing on end at an angle' position.) They even fashioned a couple of hooks into it, to use as bag holders.

Last edited:

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Interesting views on this, I guess you have to think like a crook to fool a crook....:satan:

Reactions: Matt

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
When I first got my amp and subs in my Grand Cherokee, I wanted a cargo cover to hide them. Had some friends who had had their systems stolen in the past. (but I know that was partly due to them booming them loudly in places they shouldn't have been) I had some tint on the windows, but it wasn't that dark plus I had a light interior. Couldn't find an OEM one, so just bought some fabric and laid it over the top. That was fine for a few years until my paranoia subsided. Plus I didn't play it loud when I was near wherever my destination was.

Once I got the EXT, I used to put the shelf on top of the box. That didn't last long though, as the tint is a lot darker. Unless there's a light source on the other side of the glass, you're hard pressed to see what's inside.

Almost forgot... GM promoted two other uses for the 'hard' cover... one was as a parcel shelf. The other was as a preventative for having things roll around the cargo area (configured in the 'standing on end at an angle' position.) They even fashioned a couple of hooks into it, to use as bag holders.

I use the shelf in my EXT for this very purpose. Hook groceries to it so things don't wander around or flop over :biggrin:

Reactions: Matt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online