Car DVR thread

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
After reading another post about a TB getting totalled by a rear-end hit (captured on DVR), I am seriously considering the install of front / rear DVRs - for me and the wife. This is an info-gathering post. Does anyone have experience to share, and/or photos of their install? Below caught my eye as a potential low-cost solution, but it could be crap...?

New 2 5" LCD 270°ROTATABLE 6 IR LED Night Version HD Car DVR Camera SHG | eBay

Guys / gals with a DVR already installed, please share your thoughts! A DVR that could also function as a back-up camera (for in-dash DVD) would be very cool.

johnstonjohnr

Dec 29, 2012
Ed H said:
After reading another post about a TB getting totalled by a rear-end hit (captured on DVR), I am seriously considering the install of front / rear DVRs - for me and the wife. This is an info-gathering post. Does anyone have experience to share, and/or photos of their install? Below caught my eye as a potential low-cost solution, but it could be crap...?

New 2 5" LCD 270°ROTATABLE 6 IR LED Night Version HD Car DVR Camera SHG | eBay

Guys / gals with a DVR already installed, please share your thoughts! A DVR that could also function as a back-up camera (for in-dash DVD) would be very cool.

That is the same one I had i the rear of my truck when she hit it. Video quality is great but night vision is limited. Works well for the price.:biggrin::thumbsup:

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
I just read that same thread this morning, and was also captured by the idea of these stand-alone DVR units. Fancy seeing you in this group as well :rotfl:

For my purposes, I'm hoping to find one that can also put the live video signal out on a USB port. If I could grab that signal on a tablet without interfering with the live recording, it would be great to be able to choose from multiple cameras to display on the tablet. It's a shame that most of the DVRs I'm finding have a built-in LCD display. That's an extra expense that I simply don't need.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Add me to the pile of people reading that thread this morning. I can't access ebay from work, but im planning to look into all of this when i get home.

johnstonjohnr

Dec 29, 2012
The tablet idea would be very cool, along with the back up camera acting as a dvr as well. :thumbsup: I know that there are some that have hdmi out. My front camera has hdmi out, i think it is just for playback of recorded video. I would like to have a central recording unit that would except like 4 cameras and all record simultaneously. I'm sure its out there I just need to find it and find away to pay for it. You can get anything if you have the money i guess!!
Something like this for the camera but with night vision: :yes:
CCD Lipstick Bullet Camera H2O Mic 500mA 12V DC Power | eBay

:undecided: This might be a starting point:
Pro in Car 4 Camera Digital Video Recorder 12V DC USB | eBay:wootwoot:
Got the wheels just a turnin'!! :undecided::undecided::yes::yes:

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
johnstonjohnr said:
I would like to have a central recording unit that would except like 4 cameras and all record simultaneously.

I've been finding several unit on Amazon, but if you read into the reviews, it turns out they connect to four cameras at once, but only record from a single channel at a time. That's why I'm thinking if I stick with self-contained individual DVR's, and feed all the signals into a computer for live feeds or data storage, it should give me the most functionality. Of course programming is my second language, so writing custom scripts to handle all this is easy on my end.

johnstonjohnr

Dec 29, 2012
Shdwdrgn said:
I've been finding several unit on Amazon, but if you read into the reviews, it turns out they connect to four cameras at once, but only record from a single channel at a time. That's why I'm thinking if I stick with self-contained individual DVR's, and feed all the signals into a computer for live feeds or data storage, it should give me the most functionality. Of course programming is my second language, so writing custom scripts to handle all this is easy on my end.

Lord, I have enough trouble with English!! :biggrin:

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
johnstonjohnr said:
Lord, I have enough trouble with English!! :biggrin:

Actually, same here. I should probably list 'computers' as my primary language, and English as my second. It would be cool if I could pick up spoken languages as easily as I figure out new programming languages -- I'd probably be able to understand half the planet by now.

johnstonjohnr

Dec 29, 2012
Finally got my second camera mounted and wired in. Here's where they are mounted. Both wired to ignition so it starts recording when the truck is started and stops when it turned off. View attachment 26159

Hot glue gun is my friend…just can't bring myself to drill holes!!! Sticks when you want it to, but comes off when you don't!!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359921477.875360.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359921477.875360.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 43
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359921506.855721.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359921506.855721.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 42
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359921540.318689.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359921540.318689.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 42

Forum Statistics

Threads