Can you explain this tick

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Got this tick coming from drivers side top of engine sounds like.

Recently had intake Mani gasket replaced tick was there before and after

[video=youtube;uq6rhlaK7OI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq6rhlaK7OI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

You'll hear it quite distinctive. This is taken inside driver side wheel well.

Tick is random comes and goes nothing to reproduce it

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Remove the serpentine belt and see if the noise remains. Fairly fast tick so it's hard to say.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
gmcman said:
Remove the serpentine belt and see if the noise remains. Fairly fast tick so it's hard to say.

Thats hard to do as I said its random does it when it feels like it

More towards firewall it sounds like any way

Sounds bounce around so its hard to pin point closer I get more engine overrides the tick u know

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Could be a pulley, you really should remove the belt.

Does yours have an air pump?

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
gmcman said:
Could be a pulley, you really should remove the belt.

Does yours have an air pump?

I get it could be a pully. But how long can I have The car running with no belt safely waiting for this tick to come around... and why would it tick sometimes not tick other times its a loud enuff tick I can hear it inside car doors and windows shut and sounds coming from left of car from inside

About air pump you ask about is that the jet engine winding Down sound when I start the car

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
jeffro312 said:
how long can I have The car running with no belt safely waiting for this tick to come around

Couple minutes, just watch temp gauge and keep it under 210. I think it's the purge also.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
is this the purge valve we are referring to...

ACDelco 25950499 Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid : Amazon.com : Automotive

also on my manual says it is located little to left of this pipe looking thing right under intake manifold as i highlighted in image

my only question is do i need to remove intake manifold to replace valve???

thanks guys that actually is where sound is coming from that area why i thought it was my injectors at first

Attachments

• engdiagram.jpg
    engdiagram.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 20

tricguy007

Dec 7, 2011
I would say no need to replace, I just replaced mine and it sounds just like yours

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would be more concerned with the knocking I am hearing to be honest.. Unless that is normal with a 4.2

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
TollKeeper said:
I would be more concerned with the knocking I am hearing to be honest.. Unless that is normal with a 4.2

That's an engine knock??? Let me go get more footage ticking prolly won't be there so we can focus on engine "knock".

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Here's some videos of my rainier

First one is cold engine in am prolly 45 degrees out

[video=youtube;OP_lhmtkAQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP_lhmtkAQ0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Second is after some driving a small high speed pass down highway get to op temps

[video=youtube;OP_lhmtkAQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP_lhmtkAQ0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

And last one is a hot running walk around vehicle

Hope this is not a knock and just normal engine noise as I'm sure its sounded like this for the year I've owned it. Going to have to research some old videos and see. Thanks guys

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sometimes you may hear a piston slap when cold but when warmed it generally goes away. I would remove the serpentine belt and listen when the engine is warm but not hot, more time to listen. You can run without the belt for a short while just try not let the temp climb over 210.

Listen at the top and close to the oil pan, usually a knock is more pronounced near the pan.

What oil are you using and how many miles on the oil?

I have been using Mobil 1 for quite awhile and like some others have stated over on BITOG about switching then having their motor quiet down I wanted to try something else. I switched to Valvoline Pure Syn and it's seems quieter, we'll see after a couple thousand miles though but I noticed a difference when cold. I would think full synthetic is full synthetic as far as flow is concerned but who knows.

Sounds like a slight knock but hard to say. I would disconnect the belt and have access to all the coil connections then pull one coil lead at a time and see if the knock goes away. You may need someone to step on the gas and raise the RPM's to 1500 ish or where the knock is loudest. If you have a rod knock or wrist pin (doubtful) knock then this will isolate the cylinder and confirm a rod knock.

If you don't have a knock it would be wise to check the oil pressure with a separate gauge at the pressure switch to confirm good pressure.

Doing this may throw a code so after each coil disconnect let the engine idle for a few seconds but you still may throw a code, don't do this if you need an emissions test this weekend. :smile:

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Yea I switched over to Mobil one recently had a shop do my oil change cuz they owed me a favor and told them Mobil one. But there's no promise that's what went in. Getting new oil tomorrow

Remember hearing something about Mobil one and noise in think I'll try what you did as its got better deal at my local store for jug and filter then need 2 more always forget is 7 not 5 like my old Lexus

Tomorrow is going to be fun. Oil change and two front wheel hubs and hopefully nothing else.

Thanks for input

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
jeffro312 said:
So just changed my oil vavoline pure syn and. Bam the knock amplified wtf ugh give it few miles see if it goes

I used to have the same slight dieseling noise at idle. BG 44K and engine flushing cured it for me. I think it has to do with gummed up lash adjusters.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
jeffro312 said:
So just changed my oil vavoline pure syn and. Bam the knock amplified wtf ugh give it few miles see if it goes

I would try pulling a coil one by one just to be certain. Yeah, very well could be gunked up...I did the same thing with the BG flush on my next to last change and it did help.

I had a slight knock in my 2.5 Duke in my grand am at 170K. Found out is was cyl #4 so I dropped the pan, changed out the rod bearings and voila'...good to go. Granted that pan is far easier to drop but if it is a rod bearing, better to get at it now before it beats the journal up. Any excess cleareance will drop your oil pressure, the pump doesn't make pressure.....it's up to tight clearances to build and maintain pressure.

Hopefuly it's just a valvetrain issue.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Going back to the video I hear something different. Like a metallic tapping sound that is uneven. Starts at 54 seconds in right after saying "I think I know what your talking about". Remove the belt and check to see if the noise is still there. This kind of sounds like bad water pump bearings.

Also notice that the fan sure is blowing hard for a cold time in CT?

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
CaptainXL said:
Going back to the video I hear something different. Like a metallic tapping sound that is uneven. Starts at 54 seconds in right after saying "I think I know what your talking about". Remove the belt and check to see if the noise is still there. This kind of sounds like bad water pump bearings.

Also notice that the fan sure is blowing hard for a cold time in CT?

Captain always full of good knowledge thanks ..

Curious wich video is fan going cold or hot.. the hot video I just returned from highway high speed pass popped hood and recorded.....

If its cold that was 2 seconds after I started it first in am 45f weather

Going to take belt off tonight been busy but wheel hubs come today so will be conquering this at night after work.

Water pump sound better then engine knock keeping fingers crossed I have 181k on her and no idea what parts are orig etc except for what I changed...

81turboguy

Nov 13, 2012
I have something similar. My 02 LS TB, 92k, sounds like a diesel with running Mobil 1 for a month or so now. I also hear a tick mainly inside the cabin on the drivers side. It's a bit annoying but I'm not 100% sure if it's troublesome yet. New belt and idler pulley on her.

I've read about the recall with this engine and my year/vin. No idea if it was replaced but what I got out of the miles of searching was that if you have a tick and you're above ~80k, you'll probably be find.

I should try pulling the coils though to double check.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
So this is with belt

[video=youtube;Qa6bVJxjDZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa6bVJxjDZY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

And this is without

[video=youtube;Wb6Otpa6gUw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb6Otpa6gUw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
gmcman said:
Your second video is "Private" you need to change the privacy settings.

I upload through my phone for some reason I change to public when uploading and goes private all the time annoying should b fixed thanks man

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Maybe the mic on your phone is crazy sensitive but it sure sounds like there is something else going on near the intake other than the knock....dunno.

Sounds like it could be an exhaust leak, reason I say that is my rear most bolt is broken and I have a noise similar to yours but is more pronounced when cold. Do you or any of your friends have accesss to a thermal scope? You could look at the heat signature around the manifold and easily pinpoint a leak.

My leak is almost silent when driving but I can hear it slightly outside the vehicle.

I still think you should pull a coil one by one and see if it disappears.

- - - Updated - - -

Only the connection, not the entire coil...just wanted to be clear. :thumbsup:

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Well when I purchased vehicle it had all bolts intact but cracked manifold. Told them repair manifold (and give me new tires) and I'll buy it

So they say yes I get it back no heat shield new manifold and a broken exhaust manifold bolt right near power steering pump and they fought for there life not to fix there fuck up.

So that could be leaking.

But I do hear a knock kind of at idle u can hear it in belt on video

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Hmm. Not really hearing anything other than the natural harmonics of the engine. Are you running the engine hot or cold? If cold try warming it up first with the belt on and then run it immediately for a few seconds without the belt . Try not to beat the piss out of it. It wont help. Lol.

If you truly are concerned about this then get a compression test done for starters. Also get a vacuum gauge connected to see if it is steady. These tests will pretty much rule out any mechanical wear with the pistons and valves.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
These were done at operating temps oddly snuff temp didn't really raise too much with belt off....

But I did hear funny almost gurgling sound afterwards think I have a video of that if needed

I just noticed my engine sounding different. Haven't really heard the loud ticking anymore just other oddities I guess I'll live with

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
jeffro312 said:
These were done at operating temps oddly snuff temp didn't really raise too much with belt off....

But I did hear funny almost gurgling sound afterwards think I have a video of that if needed

I just noticed my engine sounding different. Haven't really heard the loud ticking anymore just other oddities I guess I'll live with

Well you will have gurgling cause the coolant isn't circulating. So when you reved up the engine the heads got super hot and it probably actually started to boil coolant.

If the ticking is going away then its the valve adjusters. Flushing the oil will eventually get rid of it.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
jeffro312 said:
a broken exhaust manifold bolt right near power steering pump and they fought for there life not to fix there fuck up.

So that could be leaking.

I think you may have found your tick. I would certainly start there.

With the belt off, don't run it too long...just a few seconds to isolate noises, watch the temp... especially when warm.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
gmcman said:
I think you may have found your tick. I would certainly start there.

With the belt off, don't run it too long...just a few seconds to isolate noises, watch the temp... especially when warm.

Well no I already found my tick something with evac normal....
Someone pointed out a knock when input my tick video up so these were to find knock which isn't really there with belt off

And I was watching temp didn't really go up all that much but anyway.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
jeffro312 said:
Well no I already found my tick something with evac normal....
Someone pointed out a knock when input my tick video up so these were to find knock which isn't really there with belt off

And I was watching temp didn't really go up all that much but anyway.

Could it be the secondary air injection check valve? Are these systems driven by the belt? That part I don't know.

Sounds like there is a pitch change in the 2nd video (without belt) from :41-:44, a more pronounced tick or knock, again could be the sensitivity of the recording device.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Going back to the first video you posted in this thread, at 1:02-1:06 there is what sounds like a very pronounced, lower-note knock. This is where I would be pulling a coil pack one by one seeing if the knock would disappear. Looks like you took that clip from behind the RF tire.

BTW, just a FYI....the first 3 videos you posted were the same, but they were titled differently.

Edited...sorry, I'm tired...:crazy: in Post #14, the first of the 3 back-to-back vids, that's where I heard the noise.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online