Can I Get Custom Tail Lights Made? Anyone On Here??

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
So I did not have much success with my previous thread http://gmtnation.com/f33/looking-certain-kind-tails-6515/

I would like a set of tails, just like stock, with either one red lens for the brake, one amber for turn, and the reverse,

OR

Preferrable all Clear lens, but with the standard halogen reflector, so I can put LEDs in them.

Does anyone on here deal with plastics, I don't know what kind of process it would be, or do they have someone they deal with or know who might, and can?

Would be super happy if you could help me out!!!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: There are a couple of us who have talked about making custom tail lights, but I think we're each still a long ways from taking that plunge.

As for your specific mission, that looks like it's gonna be a tough one. If I was going to go this route, I'd probably start with a set of tails like these, since they use the stock tail light boards.

[EBAY]120756873244[/EBAY]

The lens is clear, and no bubbles, but it looks like there are reflector covers that are tinted red. I thought one member had a set that were all clear, but I couldn't find them. To try to get around this, I would try to break those red reflector covers and get all the pieces out, and then maybe go with some spider LED lights (kinda biased since I have them now for my reverse lights) The Cree lights are popular choices too.

[EBAY]400441394056[/EBAY] [EBAY]400441394160[/EBAY] [EBAY]400441394104[/EBAY]

If you opted to leave the reflector covers intact, for the red and white ones, you'd be in good shape, but the LEDs on the yellow one will probably look funny. That's my :twocents:

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Blckshdw said:
:undecided: There are a couple of us who have talked about making custom tail lights, but I think we're each still a long ways from taking that plunge.

As for your specific mission, that looks like it's gonna be a tough one. If I was going to go this route, I'd probably start with a set of tails like these, since they use the stock tail light boards.

The lens is clear, and no bubbles, but it looks like there are reflector covers that are tinted red. I thought one member had a set that were all clear, but I couldn't find them. To try to get around this, I would try to break those red reflector covers and get all the pieces out, and then maybe go with some spider LED lights (kinda biased since I have them now for my reverse lights) The Cree lights are popular choices too.

If you opted to leave the reflector covers intact, for the red and white ones, you'd be in good shape, but the LEDs on the yellow one will probably look funny. That's my :twocents:

Thanks also to you.I have seen plenty of tails for sale such as those you have posted, and yea, I would either have to break out the filters, or find another version without those filters. I would almost certainly get the CREE LEDs too, not the spiders.

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Just checking if anyone out there has any updates, either tail lights with amber turn signals, or all clear lenses with LEDs?

DARKASS04EXT

Nov 21, 2011
Zapp Brannigan said:
Just checking if anyone out there has any updates, either tail lights with amber turn signals, or all clear lenses with LEDs?

So, ur looking for an ALL clear taillight? You wont find them, they wont pass DOT laws. As far as Im aware every state specs u must have red reflectors in the rear and rear side of vehicle. Years ago when everyone was using the "clear" tails, they werent street legal. the manufacturers made them for "show use only". Sure everyone used them on the street but laws have gotten alot stricter in the past years. i actually had a friend who was held at fault in an accident because of the tails, he was ticketed for an accident that he was reended in.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
DARKASS04EXT said:
So, ur looking for an ALL clear taillight? You wont find them, they wont pass DOT laws. As far as Im aware every state specs u must have red reflectors in the rear and rear side of vehicle. Years ago when everyone was using the "clear" tails, they werent street legal. the manufacturers made them for "show use only". Sure everyone used them on the street but laws have gotten alot stricter in the past years. i actually had a friend who was held at fault in an accident because of the tails, he was ticketed for an accident that he was reended in.

The GMTs have the red reflectors separate from the tails (the reflectors are in the bumper). There are no reflectors in the stock tails.

*edit* although the rear side reflectors are still part of the tail so that might be a problem. But not from behind, only from the side.

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
DARKASS04EXT said:

All clear lenses, or at the least, Red brake lens, Amber turn lens, Clear Reverse.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
You are looking for something like they used to have for the older S-10's

IMO you have a few options, none will be plug and play. First you could start off with a set of the clear tails with the red inserts, get the tail light like some have done with their headlights. Remove the red inserts and make clear replacements out of either light diffusing material, or some other material that would be easy to conform. Re assemble when you reach your look.

You could also mold a set, however this would be time consuming and tedious. You could also splice a set of clear tails from another vehicle with the outer lens of the TB tails, this would also be difficult and time consuming.

Unless someone can come up with a source for the lights or an alternative, then whatever you do will be custom.

Attachments

• clear tails.jpg
    clear tails.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 99

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
blazinlow89 said:

IMO you have a few options, none will be plug and play. First you could start off with a set of the clear tails with the red inserts, get the tail light like some have done with their headlights. Remove the red inserts and make clear replacements out of either light diffusing material, or some other material that would be easy to conform. Re assemble when you reach your look.

You could also mold a set, however this would be time consuming and tedious. You could also splice a set of clear tails from another vehicle with the outer lens of the TB tails, this would also be difficult and time consuming.

Unless someone can come up with a source for the lights or an alternative, then whatever you do will be custom.

I figured as much. I might end up getting a set of the Euro tails and baking off the lens, removing the red inserts, and making it all clear with LED replacement.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I see you have a black truck. Are you looking for a chrome alteeza style, or just clear in general. I have these in black and have had them for over 2 years with not a single problem.

02 09 Chevy Trail Blazer LED Tail Lights Black 03 04 05 | eBay

They also have a smoke version.

02 09 Chevy Trail Blazer LED Tail Lights Smoke 03 04 05 | eBay

IIRC they did not look very difficult to disassemble and they are LED already. I remember them being cheaper though.

Sorry I forgot to reply. Basically exactly like what was posted above, and I will repost. Clear outer lens, and clear inner lenses (or no lenses at all, but preferred WITH inner lenses).

Again, this is so that I can put hideaway LED in, to utilize the reflector space as an additional warning lighthead.

18320d1384382743-can-i-get-custom-tail-lights-made-anyone-here-clear-tails.jpg

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Someone posted some lights very similar to those a few weeks ago. I cannot remember who or where they said they got them from. If I come across the thread I will link it for you.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
DJones got them off Ebay for his custom LED setup. They are pretty hard to come by, I couldn't find any like those when I looked last week. :frown:

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Blckshdw said:
DJones got them off Ebay for his custom LED setup. They are pretty hard to come by, I couldn't find any like those when I looked last week. :frown:

Thank you for the link!! I am investigating myself also. I checked the user he listed he got them from and to no avail. Maybe I will PM him for more information!

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
blazinlow89 said:

18320d1384382743-can-i-get-custom-tail-lights-made-anyone-here-clear-tails.jpg

@blazinlow89, where did you find this picture you posted here? It looks different than the one that DJones had in his install in http://gmtnation.com/f33/djoness-custom-tail-light-configuration-2706/

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I used Google images, however those are for the older s 10 blazers. I was just using it as a reference.

Ah shucks, well thanks anyway. They looked enough like the TB ones I thought they were lol!

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
DARKASS04EXT said:

If it has red reflectors, I don't care if the lens itself is clear when I'm behind one. What I've been having trouble with is "thin LED" style brake lights. Like on some of the new Mustangs, where instead of a standard size light or some minimum square-area requirement, it's 2-3 thin rings. I honestly can't tell when they're hitting their brakes or not, just not enough overall shine to it. But they do look nice and stuff, just don't feel safe.

I know, I'm rambling. This post just caught my eye and response, sorry. :tongue:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
They were the ones I had on my white one. While I loved the look on white, I wasn't sold enough to pursue them for the TB as it's blue.

Good luck in your search.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online