"Can I Fit a Sheet of Plywood in There?"

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Answer: Yes.

This is only a 4' x 4' sheet of plywood. It easily fits width-wise. Length-wise, in a short wheelbase Trailblazer like mine, you'd get about 6 feet in the truck, and 2 feet hanging out the back. Pretty handy for when you need that one extra piece! I was trying to find a photo so I could see just how well a piece would fit in. Now I'm sharing along for the next guy:

zWpWkje.jpg

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
I havent tried to fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood back there yet. Nice to know the width is good. Wonder if it will fit through the glass. No problem riding with the glass open.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I don't think it would. It's really not a problem riding with the whole gate open though. There's tons of hooks you can strap the wood down with.
I do have a 5x8 trailer I use when I need to pick up lots of stuff. But it was nice not needing it today when all I needed was one piece.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
when i have something in there that does not allow the gate to close, i run a bungee around the wiper post with the hook parts attached to the hitch receiver ears.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
The SWB will fit width-wise but not length-wise. I have a platform bike rack on my truck, and it supports it just perfectly. I've had six 4x8 sheets of OSB in there before.

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
I have the XUV. I can fit a whole engine hoist in the back and close it while its standing up. The plywood not so much. Still overhangs slightly and I have to flag it when driving. That's one thing I look for in trucks/suvs is the ability to fit a sheet even though I probably only need one once a year! LOL

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
I'm guessing you are hauling with the rear seats and midgate up, so the 8' sheets extend beyond the tailgate. One way to haul sheets

I also have an XUV and have hauled a multitude of building supplies and 4 x 8 sheets (up to ~10) of most anything in the back. If you fold the rear seats forward and put down the midgate window and then the midgate, you can then put down the rear tailgate window and fold the tailgate down to have a platform well over 8' long to carry sheets.

I use a couple 2x4s full length or just a few blocks stacked down the center of the cargo floor to support the center of the sheets and then load them using the shelves on both sides of the cargo area and the tabs on the base of folded rear seats to support the front of the sheets. You can even use the driver side auxiliary tailgate support at 2 different levels, one to help support the tailgate flat and one slightly elevated to support the rear edges of the sheets at the level of the sheets.
Even if you want to transport longer lumber or longer sheets supported by longer lumber, the flat tailgate support level will assist in carrying all that weight on the tailgate.

As a homeowner (not a contractor), I have remodeled multiple homes to varying extents and prefer my closed/convertible XUV that hauls similar to a pickup over most pickups. With the roof open and tailgate down I've hauled tall furniture, mattresses and other oddly shaped items that won't fit in a regular SUV with a liftgate.

As an added bonus, my SLT has the air bag suspension in the back and only once have I overloaded it to where it would not re-level the vehicle after loading. I usually leave the vehicle running while loading so the compressor keeps it level and does't work as hard later.

It's a VERY versatile vehicle and I don't know what I will do when it comes time to replace it.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
I've always wanted an XUV. It's a shame they didn't keep making them...or the TB. I've been lusting after a Colorado/Canyon, but I can't justify the expense.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I've always wanted an XUV. It's a shame they didn't keep making them...or the TB. I've been lusting after a Colorado/Canyon, but I can't justify the expense.

Now that the ZR2 Colorado is real, even I am tempted. But a pickup is such a bad fit for me, compared to an SUV. Plus like you said, $40,000 for a pickup, ill pass.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Now that the ZR2 Colorado is real, even I am tempted. But a pickup is such a bad fit for me, compared to an SUV. Plus like you said, $40,000 for a pickup, ill pass.
Remember when trucks weren't status symbols and thus cheap?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The difference between 2wd and 4wd is something like $8000 on the colorado.

I've been pricing the Colorado and the Canyon. From what I've seen the 4WD only adds about $4k . (If you can say $4,000 is only. :jawdrop2:) My 2003 Envoy listed out for about $35k.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The very reason I went with the Silverado... There was only about a $5k price difference, if even that.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
The main page of the "build your colorado" lists the 2WD price as $20,995 and the 4WD as $28,790. That said, I didn't go through all the options, and the prices on that page don't make a ton of sense.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The main page of the "build your colorado" lists the 2WD price as $20,995 and the 4WD as $28,790. That said, I didn't go through all the options, and the prices on that page don't make a ton of sense.

Not sure what I was looking at, but, you were right.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online