Cabin thermometer?

BuckeyeEvan

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
I know there is an external ambient thermometer behind the grill (replaced it already).
Is there an internal thermometer to help control the internal temperature? :undecided:(I have auto climate control)
Problem: I set the temperature (let's say) 71 degree. the A/C turns on and blows high... and blows and blows... I am freezing and the thing is still blowing on the high fan. It never lowers the fan speed once the cabin reaches 71 degrees (in this example). I swear the inside cabin temperature is around 65 when it should be 71. (I hope this is not a: 'set it at 75 so it is 71 in the cabin'... sorta defeats the issue of setting it to what you want.)
My old 4Runner would lower the fan speed after the cabin has cooled down.

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
Not sure if it's the inside ambient temperature being dirty. It's located in the B pillar, on the drivers side. (pillar between the two doors). There is a sensor and a little fan to move air over it. I popped the plastic trim off and mine was covered in dirt. I blew it off with compressed air.

BuckeyeEvan

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
when you say "pop"-- does that mean just pull the plastic off or is there a science to it?

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
It's just a plastic trim that is pressure fit. It snaps out. You don't have to take it out to blow the dirt out, but if you do you'll be able to see if it was dirty and then it's one more thing to rule out if it doesn't work.

BuckeyeEvan

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
the holes looked clean and you were right--it just 'pops' off. I just grabbed it and it came off. Looks like a stealership 1.5 hour labor code for cleaning dust off. :biggrin: Plus tack on the standard disposal waste fee.
I plan to leave it off and see if I see the fan spinning while I am driving around town.

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
BuckeyeEvan said:
Looks like a stealership 1.5 hour labor code for cleaning dust off. :biggrin: Plus tack on the standard disposal waste fee.

You forgot about the "shop towels" charge. +$10

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
And even if you have an extended warranty that should cover it fully - the "You have to pay $90 DIAGNOSTIC charge before we'll fix it for free." scam on top. :hissyfit:

BuckeyeEvan

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
I think we are all forgetting about the environmental charge, too.:raspberry:

So far it seems to operating better, although today is not as hot as the previous days.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
And while they had it...the brakes are about shot and you need new tires before they can give your truck back

BuckeyeEvan

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
Not intended to be a bump . (just an update)
I blew out the dust and after closer examination I found the thermal sensor out front (before the fan vs after the fan.. its a little cermaic looking bulb with two metal legs.. looks like something that would be soldered to a computer board) I could see white specks on dust stuck to it... so I gave it a wipe with my fingers to get all the visible stuff off.
It works better now. The AC eventually drops the fan level down. (not as quickly as I hoped) I think the placement is not a good design. makes me wonder where other manufactures put theirs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online