Bug Spray to Clean Headlights (WARNING)

dogfish246

Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Hey guys,

So I saw a new trend that many people were telling me about and it is to use bug spray to clean headlights. I wanted to look into how it works and if it really works so I made a video all about it. People have videos on YouTube showing amazing initial results, but is it real and does it last?

Let me know what you think of the video and let me know what you have used to clean headlights (and did it work well)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYmbBZntuY8

Reactions: BlazingTrails

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Its temporary. Replaces oils in plastic. Wd40 is what my buddies body shop uses to pretty up like lights for customers picking up cars

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Has anyone ever tried Wipe New? I see the commercial once a week. Along with keeping your trim shiny, the creators claim it will restore your headlights. Wonder how long that stuff will last, 100 washes :undecided:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
One of the guys down here used Wipe New on his faded trim, but not the headlights. He said it it held up for quite some time down here through our rainy season and several washes. So it does have some staying power.

Reactions: BHAMER

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I knew it wouldn't work because I remember ruining a watch while putting on bug spray.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
dmanns67 said:
Has anyone ever tried Wipe New? I see the commercial once a week. Along with keeping your trim shiny, the creators claim it will restore your headlights. Wonder how long that stuff will last, 100 washes :undecided:
I don't trust any car product featured on an infomercial, just my opinion

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mooseman said:
I knew it wouldn't work because I remember ruining a watch while putting on bug spray.
What kinda bug spray can possibly hurt glass???

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mine don't. But I only have a couple

dogfish246

Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
Its temporary. Replaces oils in plastic. Wd40 is what my buddies body shop uses to pretty up like lights for customers picking up cars
Exactly. Also, I wouldnt call it temporary because it ends up doing damage to the plastic and even your paint!

dmanns67 said:
I never tried the stuff. I looked up some reviews. Some say it is amazing, others say it sucks. I just used a product by turtle wax called jet black and I will have a video review on that. They say it turns plastic trim back to black for up to a year. So far, three months in, it is doing pretty good. I actually like the stuff.

Blckshdw said:
One of the guys down here used Wipe New on his faded trim, but not the headlights. He said it it held up for quite some time down here through our rainy season and several washes. So it does have some staying power.
Good to know.

Mooseman said:
Yea, it is not good! Sucks it messed up your watch.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wd40 hasn't any paint or plastic on my rides.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online