Brakes squeak when moving slow, why?

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
So the front brakes were squeaking really bad and needed to be changed so I did and now these pads which have been on there for about 2 months now are squeaking when I am not pushing the brake pedal and stop squeaking when I push the brake pedal, Also when I changed the pads I had the rotors turned too, it just doesn't make sense

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I have the semi same issue. Mine squeak when I push lightly on the breaks, but don't when I push on them hard, and I have noticed squeaking when slowly moving without touching the breaks. We though the breaks were bad, but they are only 1/2 worn and we don't have any indicators on the pads that are on the truck now. Mat seems to think it is break dust because it doesn't squeak after a good wash, but it doesn't make sense to me either because when it rains really hard, the break dust is washed off and it still makes noise.

If you come up with a solution I will be forever grateful because I'm stumped. And the noise is horrid to listen to.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Voymom said:
I have the semi same issue. Mine squeak when I push lightly on the breaks, but don't when I push on them hard, and I have noticed squeaking when slowly moving without touching the breaks. We though the breaks were bad, but they are only 1/2 worn and we don't have any indicators on the pads that are on the truck now. Mat seems to think it is break dust because it doesn't squeak after a good wash, but it doesn't make sense to me either because when it rains really hard, the break dust is washed off and it still makes noise.

If you come up with a solution I will be forever grateful because I'm stumped. And the noise is horrid to listen to.

It is embarrassing driving through parking lots I am tempted to try that stuff at autozone that says it quiets brakes but I just don't know what could really be causing it. Oh also my brakes creak like an old wood floor/steps when i push the pedal all the way down but it's not the inside, its the calipers that are creaking, could this be related? I am wondering if the posts in the caliper that the outer part slides on needs to be greased and that's not why the calipers are releasing completely when letting off the pedal and that is causing the creaking? That's my theory but I just don't know

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
blackout51 said:
It is embarrassing driving through parking lots I am tempted to try that stuff at autozone that says it quiets brakes but I just don't know what could really be causing it. Oh also my brakes creak like an old wood floor/steps when i push the pedal all the way down but it's not the inside, its the calipers that are creaking, could this be related? I am wondering if the posts in the caliper that the outer part slides on needs to be greased and that's not why the calipers are releasing completely when letting off the pedal and that is causing the creaking? That's my theory but I just don't know

I'm so glad I'm not the only one embarrassed by the noise lol Here I am driving what is the sexiest truck in town :biggrin: and then when I go to stop at a light, it turns from sexy to OMG WTF lol. It's like seeing that hot chick walking down the road, and the closer she gets the uglier she looks lol. :lipsrsealed:

I'm tempted to get the brake grease and try it too, but if that doesn't fix the issue I'm just going to say f*ck it and get new brakes to see if that fixes my problem.

Feb 24, 2012
Take some heavy grit sandpaper and swirl the front and back surfaces of the rotors. That will take the heat glaze/squeal away for a little while.

When you installed the pads did they have shims on the back, or did you put any anti-squeal on the back where the pad metal meets the caliper and piston?

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
deekster_caddy said:
Take some heavy grit sandpaper and swirl the front and back surfaces of the rotors. That will take the heat glaze/squeal away for a little while.

When you installed the pads did they have shims on the back, or did you put any anti-squeal on the back where the pad metal meets the caliper and piston?

The pads came with like three different kinds of anti noise metal peices that I installed in place of the old ones I took off but I didn't put any anti squeak on there, guess ill be taking my brakes back apart this weekend

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Ok so the noise has only gotten worse I put some brake lubricant at all contact point of the pads but that didn't do anything, I am going to put some between the pad and caliper piston when I get a chance as I forgot to do that the other day, and now the squeak is very loud and I hear it when driving 30 mph now just a fast squeak, I've never had a car do this before

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Could also be a caliper problem (piston seals) causing insufficient auto-retraction when you release pedal pressure. So the pads are touching the rotors with too much pressure when they should be a few thousandths of an inch backed off.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
the roadie said:
Could also be a caliper problem (piston seals) causing insufficient auto-retraction when you release pedal pressure. So the pads are touching the rotors with too much pressure when they should be a few thousandths of an inch backed off.

Wouldn't my calipers be leaking then? My last car had bad seals on the calipers and that was a disaster, but a shop said they tested my brake fluid a while back and said my brake fluid was old and bad...could this be anything true? I just took it like they were saying my blinker fluid was low you know since I've never heard of it being bad before

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
blackout51 said:
Wouldn't my calipers be leaking then? My last car had bad seals on the calipers and that was a disaster, but a shop said they tested my brake fluid a while back and said my brake fluid was old and bad...could this be anything true? I just took it like they were saying my blinker fluid was low you know since I've never heard of it being bad before
Seals have two purposes. One is to seal, and the other is to retract the pistons a tiny bit when the pressure is off. How many cars have you owned, and have you never changed brake fluid on them? Brake fluid is FAMOUS for absorbing moisture and contaminants, and needs flushing every few years at the outside. It's true the Owner's Manual is silent on the issue, but changing brake fluid is not an urban legend - it's required regular maintenance. Your shop may or may not have been trying to upsell you on an unnecessary service, but that should have been the time to Google about it, not dismiss the suggestion like they were lying.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
the roadie said:
Seals have two purposes. One is to seal, and the other is to retract the pistons a tiny bit when the pressure is off. How many cars have you owned, and have you never changed brake fluid on them? Brake fluid is FAMOUS for absorbing moisture and contaminants, and needs flushing every few years at the outside. It's true the Owner's Manual is silent on the issue, but changing brake fluid is not an urban legend - it's required regular maintenance. Your shop may or may not have been trying to upsell you on an unnecessary service, but that should have been the time to Google about it, not dismiss the suggestion like they were lying.

This is my third and no I have never changed it before, I asked my dad and he gave me a chuckle and said that one of his trucks has had the same fluid since 1984, but ok I will definitely look into doing that change soon, but how would I be able to fix the caliper seal? Would taking the pads off and pushing the pistons out then pushing them back in but not all the way do anything? Because when I changed the pads I used a clamp and it felt like I hit a point on the caliper when tightening where it felt almost like I over tightened but there were no leaks so I assumed all was ok

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
I'd look at the slide pins, the caliper rides on and grease em, I'd go ahead and coat the back of the pads all over with the anti sqeak goop. Follow the directions and wait 15 minutes for it to dry if it calls for it.
Also check the rotor shield. It can make an awful lot of noise and I've personally had it go away when hitting the brakes. It may have gotten bent by road debris.

Brake fluid definitly needs changed every few years. It absorbs water despite the lid and rubber diaphragm trying to prevent it. It literally pulls humidity out of the air. It should be clearish... it has a very slight color. If it's old enough you'll notice a difference by bleeding the brakes. If it's old enough and you hot rod around/tow heavy and get the brakes really hot you can cause it to boil and then you lose your brakes.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Update: I put the brake lubricant on the pads between the caliper and pad and no more squeaks...also I put some on the slide pins, it's so nice not to hear that horrible noise any more, but when I push the brake pedal all the way down I still hear the creaking noise coming from the calipers, any idea what that could be?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online