Brakes at 100k Kilometers?

Blade

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
257
Apparently this is a common thing on the 900's? I will find out for sure later today but I think the rears are gone. Usual grinding noises.

According to some Cadillac guys they said something about the stabilitrac applying the rear brakes when conditions warranted? This is supposed to be the reason why the rear discs go out befor ethe fronts on these things.

Now I am an old guy and don't drive like a nut. (All of the time) However the rear brakes are actually smaller and apparently can't handle what is being given to them. Now it leads me to ponder the question "Is my controller valve miss-proportioning my everyday brake application?" Any thoughts?
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Some of the new traction control systems do weird things. My buddies with the newer 4 door JK wranglers bitch that at 20K miles the rear brakes are toast. Seems to happen to all of them.

I had not heard it was an issue on any GM though.
 

ScarabEpic22

Member
Nov 20, 2011
728
Eh just means its time for a big brake kit Bill! :biggrin:
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
Well Bill, your right, the fronts should wear faster than the rears, they take the brunt of the braking forces; but, they are bigger than the rears (for obvious reasons).

But, tying brake wear to mileage, is a poor science, 100k of stop/start (like mine gets), is harder on brakes than 100k on highway driving.

Winters with a lot of ice (like Saint John) cause the traction control to operate a lot more than cities with little ice. Some winter mornings, my traction control operates at every stop and turn intersection.

I fully expect to replace my fronts and rears early.
 

Blade

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
257
ScarabEpic22 said:
Eh just means its time for a big brake kit Bill! :biggrin:

If I have to do this again I will def go for something aftermarket and BIG. After dropping $1800 to my loyal and trusty mechanic, there are probably better options. I told him to install all "top shelf" new stuff even though I still had a bit left on the fronts. If I only had more time instead of having to rush this for the weekend. (Heading up to the lake)

RayVoy said:
Well Bill, your right, the fronts should wear faster than the rears, they take the brunt of the braking forces; but, they are bigger than the rears (for obvious reasons).

But, tying brake wear to mileage, is a poor science, 100k of stop/start (like mine gets), is harder on brakes than 100k on highway driving.

Winters with a lot of ice (like Saint John) cause the traction control to operate a lot more than cities with little ice. Some winter mornings, my traction control operates at every stop and turn intersection.

I fully expect to replace my fronts and rears early.

I hear ya Ray. I get a real mix of driving in the city and hwy along with some towing. At least here the snow is about as common as a :lipsrsealed: these days. :biggrin:

I think a fair warning to other 900 owners would be to prepare for something at about 50k miles and don't be shocked when the squealers start on the rears. Get that BIG brake kit lined up and get it done early before you are stuck without any time like myself. :banghead:
 

ScarabEpic22

Member
Nov 20, 2011
728
Have fun at the lake Bill, are you around Vancouver on the 19th? Aka coming down to the good ol' US of A for another NW meet? Craigs coming over from Spokane for the weekend...:biggrin:
 

Blade

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
257
ScarabEpic22 said:
Have fun at the lake Bill, are you around Vancouver on the 19th? Aka coming down to the good ol' US of A for another NW meet? Craigs coming over from Spokane for the weekend...:biggrin:

I was hoping you would go to OS for a camp-out and I would bring my trailer down. We may not be lakebound that weekend so it may be a possibility for a run down your way. I know it would involve the casino for Diane though :undecided::biggrin::eek::thumbsup: (that pretty much sums up my state of confusion on that subject)
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,388
Posts
638,719
Members
18,596
Latest member
david herman

Members Online