Bound to happen sooner or later

Ilikemy3s

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
SWB 05' TB with the I6 and 4x4 and 276K miles .. original engine, trans, transfer case and front axle. Got it with 80K on it back in 2015. Did all fluid changes and filters when needed if not before and used synthetic fluids. Anyway ..
  • Driving home from work yesterday afternoon and noticed a burning smell then noticed some smoke via the rear tailgate window as I was driving.
  • Check gauges and they seemed fine. Truck ran and shifted fine. No distinguishing noises I could tell.
  • Rechecked gauges .. still fine. Thought I ran over something.
  • Pulled into a super Wawa (for those in NJ, PA area of east cost, you know), parked on side and waited for smoke to clear.
  • I did see wetness on frame and drippage but could not tell what it was or coming from.
  • Waited for engine to cool and clear traffic on road. Tried my luck but drove light and not push it.
  • Got about 2 miles down the road with more smoke and thought-felt truck not shifting right at this point. so I pulled into a road side stop
  • Looked underneath .. yup .. some bright red trans fluid.
  • Called AAA for tow as did not want to push it, and although I had trans fluid in back milk crate, I did not have a funnel.
  • Figured it did not drop all fluid as had puddle at both locations and it shifted fine.. Plus slight drip under truck when I started it to back it off the flat bed into spot in my mechanics lot .. trans shifted fine and no noise.

• So I am thinking and hoping it is just pin hole in original trans cooler lines ??? Will see what Shop says I cant do any thign about it today

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
My first guess is that yes, it's the cooler lines, and most likely right where they're clamped to the engine as they go up and back. That's right where mine went. The clamp allows moisture and crud to get trapped against the lines, and they'll corrode out there.

Toughest part of replacing those for me was getting to the upper side of the transmission to disconnect those ends. I completely replaced all of mine since I could pretty much figure that there would be other weak spots showing up.

The pipes weren't that expensive. Bigger concern was if rust/dirt got in the trans, or if it got overheated enough to cause any damage.

Hopefully yours just spat fluid out but you got it shut down fast enough to avoid anything but smoke.

Good Luck!

Chris

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep. Trans lines. Common problem on the rust belt. Funny a recall was never issued for this as fluid on a hot exhaust can cause a fire.

Ilikemy3s

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
The garage got back to me .. seems both lines have a coupler in the middle.. And that is what failed. So rather than 2 solid lines, i have 4 lines with a coupler on both? I guess made it easer to install? While he did say it was great the original onmes last this long, he does recommend replaced them both (all) So that will get worked on tomorrow.

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Yes, there are four pipes total. The longer ones run up towards the radiator from the transmission, then couple in to the ones that actually connect to the radiator. That arrangement did make them easier to work on, though I somehow doubt GM (or any auto maker) really made that the primary reason for the design. :wink:

They should have it all swapped out quickly once they get the parts, and yes, if one is corroded, odds are they all are in similar shape. You going to have them change the fluid/filter while they're there, in case any debris got in? Less likely with a connector failure than with rusted out lines, but if the connector corroded through, some of that could get back through the system.

Cheers-

Chris

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... Post #5 at the Linked Thread below has some information and links to Transmission Lines... Some Made of PLAIN STEEL ...and Some...

MADE OF STAINLESS STEEL

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online