Bouncy Front-End (Belltech Adjustable Lift Struts)

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
I am running the SMAXX 2.5" Lift with an extra .5" spacer in the front. And in the rear I have the SMAXX 2" lift spacers. Had that lift on it for about 2 years now (Before I go any further, I am not that technical, nor DIY, and have a local shop do my work). I just got the Z71 rear springs installed last week with BellTech adjustable front struts. Looks like the struts have four .5" spacers that COULD provide another 2" of lift. Not sure how many of the spacers they ended up using but it appears to be sitting up higher. Looks great, love the stance, already see my gas mpg kicking the crapper. Some concerns though, I live in an apartment complex, and the parking is such that you have to drive over a curb, when I go over the curb straight-wheeled I get a nasty bounce. Haven't noticed any said "nasty bounces" on the street. I have the well-expected hard hits on any little potholes or whatever. I guess my main question is.....Should I worry about the bounce? I am not worried about personal inconveniences or (for lack of a better word) discomfort/ride quality. My main concern is safety. I wanna make sure what I have is safe and also not harmful to the truck. I don't do any offroading, I am guessing if I did, this would definitely be the wrong setup.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
BellTech are drop struts. Your shop installed them with a SMAXX spacer? Did you get any advice here first? I would have just slapped in Bilstein aftermarket shocks and not messed around with BellTech. Why did you buy them specifically?

Got any pictures of what they installed and what parts they gave you back that they didn't install? I think the BellTech spacers are to reduce the amount of drop they give you if you don't want the entire 2". No lift.

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
the roadie said:
BellTech are drop struts. Your shop installed them with a SMAXX spacer? Did you get any advice here first? I would have just slapped in Bilstein aftermarket shocks and not messed around with BellTech. Why did you buy them specifically?

Got any pictures of what they installed and what parts they gave you back that they didn't install? I think the BellTech spacers are to reduce the amount of drop they give you if you don't want the entire 2". No lift.

It looks like they have been installed in conjunction with the SMAXX spacers. My friend did a search at the shop and found the belltech's and said they could also provide more lift--he pretty much talked me out of the bilstein's, not sure why, and it's my own fault that I never brought it up here. And I have never heard anything bad about belltech's, so I went ahead and bought them.

I think it's something like this:
Belltech Sport Trucks 25003 - Belltech Sport Trucks Lift and Lowering Shocks - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
As far as I can see, and I've never looked too closely at lowering products to be used in a lifted application, these puppies were designed for 2" of lowering, but with adjustable sleeves that can bring you back up to zero. Additional spacers might put in some preload that would give you lift, but it's the kind of lift you couldn't (or shouldn't) use WITH SMAXX spacers.

It's a frankenstein kluge of a setup possibly you're not going to be happy with. Bilsteins would have been half the cost and have HUNDREDS of happy lifted users.

Your buddy did you no favor. :hissyfit: Sorry. Lowering shocks are (or should be) differently valved, and the internal stops may not like being fully extended in the lifted strut length. Somebody with a professional's experience with these should be consulted - BellTech tech support comes to mind.

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
the roadie said:
As far as I can see, and I've never looked too closely at lowering products to be used in a lifted application, these puppies were designed for 2" of lowering, but with adjustable sleeves that can bring you back up to zero. Additional spacers might put in some preload that would give you lift, but it's the kind of lift you couldn't (or shouldn't) use WITH SMAXX spacers.

It's a frankenstein kluge of a setup possibly you're not going to be happy with. Bilsteins would have been half the cost and have HUNDREDS of happy lifted users.

Your buddy did you no favor. :hissyfit: Sorry. Lowering shocks are (or should be) differently valved, and the internal stops may not like being fully extended in the lifted strut length. Somebody with a professional's experience with these should be consulted - BellTech tech support comes to mind.

Thanks for your input! :thumbsup: It is much appreciated. On Monday I am gonna do some "fishing" and see what I can come up with. Worst case scenario is I take it back to the shop, and they swap em out for me.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
The belltech "drop struts" market the product as a 2" drop OR 1" lift. Had them on my voy. That's what they say. I didn't use any of the collars or sleeves what have u and got more than a 2" drop.
6c64f55e-6f60-b9dd.jpg
6c64f55e-6fb4-4776.jpg

NORCAL SS

Dec 4, 2011
in front your using stock front spring with just belltech struts correct?

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
NORCAL SS said:
in front your using stock front spring with just belltech struts correct?

No sir, here is what I am currently running at the moment: (to the best of my knowledge as a shop did all my work)
--SUSPENSION MAXX 2.5 Inch Front Spacer
--Additional SUSPENSION MAXX .5 Inch Front Spacer
--BELLTECH Adjustable Front Struts
--OEM Front Springs

--SUSPENSION MAXX 2.0 Inch Rear Spacer
--BDS 9500 Series Rear Gas Shocks
--Z71 TAHOE Rear Springs

Drove about 80 or so miles down to MAY03LT's place on SUN and it rides real solid. Only thing is at a slower speed I have a more pronounced bounciness when I catch certain bumps, and not like "I'm hitting my head on the headliner" bounce. Hard to explain. But really noticeable going over a curb when I pull into my parking spot.

Real happy with the stance and no problems whatsoever at highway speed. Maybe just something I will have to live with....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
This "bounce" is it jarring like the strut is topping out?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online