Bought A House

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Yesterday I became a home owner again. After selling our last one, my wife and I have rented a nice little duplex with a det garage back in our hometown. We were not sure on staying because its 135 miles a day for my commute, but I can handle it for the benefits the small town and family close by offer.

My parent were building a new house and we discussed purchasing the old one, but could not decide. Finally decided we could afford it and it would be a great place to raise our young family in. I grew up in it from 8 years old. My parents lived there 26 years and never updated anything except for a plain vanilla counter top in kitchen. I talked them into the baths and windows last year when they started building just so it would raise value to sell because we did not plan on buying it then. We decided we could make it ours and bring it back to what it should be.

Huge remodel in action currently.
Its 2300ish sf T.I.T.S. (Typical Indiana Two Story) home with 4 bedrooms and 2.5 bath. Plus has 1000 sf basement of which 3/4 is finished- 80s style paneling and brown carpet- w a outside entrance and bar and pool table came w it. Extra deep 2 car garage attached. Its on a half acre corner lot. Nice lil older subdivision with about 40 homes and has a lil park and green area.

Well-Built in late 60s but needs massive updating. Currently stripping all above ground floors, removing paneling and wallpaper, swapping retro inefficient fire place for a real wood stove. Getting new paint, new railing to second floor, all new carpet and hardwood. Replacing several light fixtures as well. Kitchen will be only room getting minimal work, but the wife says it will happen sooner rather than later.

House does have the full baths already remodelled and new windows. Extra new insulation in attic. My preplanning for selling points to others even worked on me.

Needs a new HVAC system w next tax return but it works well, just not so efficient. Thing is a monster of a matural gas furnace and puke green ac unit. Original williamson.

Exterior needs landscaped and fenced for the kids, but that is fairly minor and the previous giant 70s era hedges had to go. Rather start from scratch than what was there a few years back.

Been working on it for a week or so and yesterday got all the windows trimmed in since they never got to that part...new windows and trim half cut but never installed...craziness. Upstairs is stripped of carpet and staples,,,that job sucked.

Guess I am really just sharing cause i got friends here and am hoping to host a meet this fall or spring. Debating if I can do it yet thus year or if it will be spring for the detached shop I am building. Got it funded w mortgage and will be about 26 x 32 or similar w electric and bath. Concrete floor n a lift. Might add the bath to basement and dial in the mancave first.

Will get some pics up soon.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Congrats Kyle!

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Grats!

Can't wait to get into mine also.

animal

Dec 4, 2011
Just finished buying and repairing a "used" home myself. Hope the remodel goes well and it becomes a "YOU" home for you and your family! Congrats!!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Congrats Kyle, and the other lucky home owners as well. I need to find me a sugar mama so I can land me a house to make my own too. :yes:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Congratulations again mate! Jelly about the lift!!! :thumbsup:

smokey262

Sep 15, 2013
Very cool. Its also neat your kids can see the family. Hope you dont have to drive the TB to work, that would get expensive real quick

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Congratulations.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Oh, you'll love wiring the shop. Current NEC (notwithstanding local ordinance) requires outlets practically friggin' everywhere whether you want/need them or not :rotfl:

And a tricky one, the bathroom can have lamps like above the sink or whatever, but there MUST be a light which is attached to the ceiling. You can't even do friggin' wall sconces only, there HAS to be a ceiling-mount. Kinda silly.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Not worried...father-in-law is an electrician. I got a concrete guy and a plumber. I can easily build it. Gonna be a fun project.

uploadfromtaptalk1407903978440.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Take some time but it should work out well

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Congrats Kyle.

Blckshdw said:
Congrats Kyle, and the other lucky home owners as well. I need to find me a sugar mama so I can land me a house to make my own too. :yes:
If a sugar momma buys a house for you to live in... Is it really your house? :undecided:

Reactions: Blckshdw

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I wish mine was a sugar momma but she is a stay at home momma.

I need to see what kinda suspension lifts are available for the house...

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I wish mine was a sugar momma but she is a stay at home momma.

I need to see what kinda suspension lifts are available for the house...
Ive been pushing Red to get her book written and try to get it published. She can stay at home, and if the book is good enough. Maybe I can also lol

High Voltage

Nov 18, 2011
Hatchet said:
Ive been pushing Red to get her book written and try to get it published. She can stay at home, and if the book is good enough. Maybe I can also lol
If the book is about you it should be a best seller!![emoji12]

Reactions: Hatchet

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Just hope if it is its not a picture book :wink:
pop up book....

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
IllogicTC said:
Oh, you'll love wiring the shop. Current NEC (notwithstanding local ordinance) requires outlets practically friggin' everywhere whether you want/need them or not :rotfl:

And a tricky one, the bathroom can have lamps like above the sink or whatever, but there MUST be a light which is attached to the ceiling. You can't even do friggin' wall sconces only, there HAS to be a ceiling-mount. Kinda silly.
Good thing about an old house you're updating is you can usually get away with not having things follow some of the details like that. And heck, if it was my house, I'd do what I want anyway :tongue:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Sparky said:
Good thing about an old house you're updating is you can usually get away with not having things follow some of the details like that. And heck, if it was my house, I'd do what I want anyway :tongue:
Building a new construction puts the building being constructed under the current rules, that's what I was on about (the detached garage w/ lift, aka the man cave since there's already a 2-car on the house it seems). It's true that "if it was code at the time and hasn't been touched, it doesn't need changed." That's why a lot of old homes have only one or maybe two outlets per room. And in really old wiring, be careful of three-way lights, there was a setup that was used once upon a time that saved wire-running, but could change which part of the light socket was hot (sometimes being the outer ring) which presented a shock hazard.

Looking at the picture of the home I'm assuming it's way beyond those 1920s standards :rotfl:.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Built in late 60's. I have owned and maintained dozens of rentals property's and flipped several houses so its nothing new but still a bunch of work.

Hell, I moved a house that has been flooded once. Stripped roof n removed and reused trusses. Cut walls down in 9 sections w a chain saw then loaded them on a trailer and rebuilt house on new foundation 30 miles away. Did everything but drywall n shingles on the rebuild. Definitely an interesting project.

Reactions: TexazReece

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online