BOSE Stereo---CD Player won't work.

cyber

Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
I have an '06 Trailblazer w/ BOSE 6 CD changer stereo. Radio works fine CD player does not. I bought a used stereo (identical) from a wrecker after much research. Tried it out before install, with ignition turned 'on' but without starting vehicle, and it worked perfectly, radio AND CD player worked great. Finished install and then started vehicle, radio went into 'LOCKED' mode, (as I expected), went to GM dealership to have stereo 'reprogrammed' to my VIN#.
They did so, paid them $129 + tax (and they said it worked) and left. Tried to play a CD and it did NOT work (wouldn't even let me load a CD), went back to dealership and they were 'stumped', so I now have spent over $300 and I'm exactly where I was before I started, with TWO stereos with working radios but CD players won't function.
I'm dropping it back off at the dealership but not exactly confident they have a clue what to do, but they've already sucked $145 out of me and I'm no further ahead. Any suggestions????????

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
That Bose CD changer is always a time bomb for me. You should of used that $300 to get a iSimple with Bestbuy to play the iPod.
Thats the plan when my CD changer takes a poop.

The dealership will probably try to sell you another HU and charge you full price...

dazingla

Jul 14, 2013
cyber im in bayshore i have a bose 6 cd changer that i know works toss me 30 bucks and its yours.u just gotta get it repogrammed to ur VIN. Came out of an 06 Envoy XL SLT

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
On the first "non-working" unit (ie. original), what's not working... ie does it accept cds, eject cd, mechanism noises???? what the display say? are there more than one cd in the unit? Same questions on the second. Describing the unit as the "cd player does not (work)", doesn't really provide the forum with much descriptive help.

cyber

Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
dazingla said:
cyber im in bayshore i have a bose 6 cd changer that i know works toss me 30 bucks and its yours.u just gotta get it repogrammed to ur VIN. Came out of an 06 Envoy XL SLT

I'll take it, what the hell, worth another try at that price.:smile:
I'll take it to another dealership & make sure they have a "qualified"
tech to reprogram it this time, last guy didn't really seem too comfortable with it.:confused:

On a side note, dropped the vehicle back at same dealership/same tech and
he spent 2 hours 'dinking around' with no success:mad: (didn't pay for that labour!!!!!)
and when I got it back donor radio was COMPLETELY fried, nothing lights up,
not even radio will play now. Put my original back in and at least I have the radio,
so the guy REALLY f**ked it up permanently now!!:frown::eek:

Hope I can get some compensation from the place I got the donor stereo
from, just say it didn't work at all in my vehicle and see what happens??:lipsrsealed::hissyfit:

cyber

Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
budwich said:
On the first "non-working" unit (ie. original), what's not working... ie does it accept cds, eject cd, mechanism noises???? what the display say? are there more than one cd in the unit? Same questions on the second. Describing the unit as the "cd player does not (work)", doesn't really provide the forum with much descriptive help.

When you push 'load' it's supposed to flash red a few times then turn green to let you
know it's safe to load cd's. Mine just continues to flash red for approx. 60 seconds while
the cd icon on left side of screen also flashes, but it never turns green and just reverts
back to radio playing mode.:confused:
It also does a few other things. When you push eject it says 'no discs'. I have also seen
the 'initializing' message. Typically it has most of the symptoms described in the GM
'bulletin' put out about reprogramming these things.:hissyfit:

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
thanks for the addition info... good stuff. Wow... not sure I would be taking it back to that "place" again. Rather suspicious about the unit being totally dead, perhaps a plug was not fully connected. That would have been my first guess before they even got there hands on it especially since you said it was working (second unit). I would check all the connectors, if possible check for powering and grounds coming out of them... maybe just a loose wire at the connector block.

added: are you sure that there are no discs left in the changer.... a possible source of jam.

cyber

Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
budwich said:
thanks for the addition info... good stuff. Wow... not sure I would be taking it back to that "place" again. Rather suspicious about the unit being totally dead, perhaps a plug was not fully connected. That would have been my first guess before they even got there hands on it especially since you said it was working (second unit). I would check all the connectors, if possible check for powering and grounds coming out of them... maybe just a loose wire at the connector block.

added: are you sure that there are no discs left in the changer.... a possible source of jam.

You can be sure I'll never get any work done there again!!!!!!:mad::mad:
Only reason I'll be returning there is to DEMAND some form of compensation
from them for completely frying a good stereo and then trying to tell me that
it was no good when I saw it work perfectly fine with my own eyes!!:hissyfit::hissyfit:
Do they think there's an "S" on my forehead??!!??:hissyfit::frown:

Second part of your quote:
Nope, actually had the cover off.
Is the vehicles 'computer' somehow miscommunicating w/ the stereo??:confused::confused:

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
They may have "bricked" it.... may "readings" indicate that "reloading" software is one of the last things that you should try. Your unit always has to communicate with your car to ensure that the VIN matches at the very least. I think that there is some initialization which happens when you "source select" the cd player (as opposed to hitting the "load" / "eject").

:-( Good luck... hopefully they own up and hopefully the offer of the replacement unit (from person on this site) will work. On thing maybe... is it possible that you tightened something during your "closeup" of your dash / etc during your install is causing a stress on the unit such that it is binding the chassis and maybe causing a "drive issue" in the mechanism.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online