Blend Door

Vicompc

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I have searched all the threads in relation to the blend door operation and don't see anything that points to what I have happening. The air flow on the passenger side is higher than it is on the drivers side no matter the fan speed. The actuators are moving the doors from the dash to floor to defrost, you can put the AC on reciculate and the system will see that also. Is this a problem with the actuator or is it the drivers side temp sensor?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I thought the airflow was symmetrical and there's only one door, so perhaps you have some internal blockage in the plenum. Might have to drill some holes and use a borescope to see inside. The temp actuator does divert airflow from the heater core to the AC evaporator, and I have read of debris and mold build-up on the AC path. But it's not a problem that's been discussed much in the forums since I've been reading them (which seems to be a long time and a few hundred thousand posts...)

Vicompc

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Thanks I'll get in there and look, I would assume the blockage would be somewhere from the blend door to the vent so at least the search area would be limited.

Vicompc

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
First, Roadie thanks for all the help sometimes I really think I'm the village idiot when it comes to this truck. I checked the system and found no blockage but the blend door on the drivers side was partially shut which looks like it was causing the problem. I found the following reset proceedure and it worked, the AC now blows the same on the passenger and drivers sides.

1. Adjust the passenger side to full hot and the drivers side to full cold and put the system in AUTO mode.
2. Turn off the ignition and turn it back on. In AUTO mode you will see the fan speed automatically adjusting up and down.
3. Reverse the settings, drivers full hot (90 degrees) and the passenger full cold (60 degrees). Put it in AUTO mode and turn off the ignition and then back on.

While doing this I almost had a heart attack thinking I had caused the actuator to fail (it started blowing HOT), but it reset in about 2 minutes to cold.:smile:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Amazing. I never ever heard about that procedure or read it in the service manual (which I read cover to cover during the month after I bought it). I see it mentioned in full size truck forums, but never for the GMT360. You have definitely discovered something new. Thanks! :thumbsup:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is quite an Old Thread ... but occasionally on rare issues involving Body (BXXXX) Codes B0159 and B3761 or mentioning Repairing Blend Door Actuators with precise insights, information like THIS data culled into a PDF is worth saving for our HVAC SMEs ...especially for those with Tech 2s and other High End Scan Tools:

Attachments

• BLENDOORACTUATORS.pdf
    50.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod