Better brand for window tint

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Hey guys, I got a question. I need to get window tints on my new car and I was wondering what is a better brand of tint film? One shop uses 3m window tint and quoted me for $219 for just the back windows and another shop quoted me for $169 but they use viper tint film. Anyone know of the two what's better or if it really won't matter? Both lifetime warranty etc. Or if anyone knows a brand they use and have good experience with. Looking for durability and no color fade etc.

Thanks in advance for the help

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
When I got my previous 2 vehicles tinted, the shops I went to used Llumar tint. I was very satisfied with it, no complaints, and the prices were fair. My TB had the front windows already when I bought it, although I kinda want to go darker all the way around...

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I read that some people got that brand of film put on and had no complaints. I feel like in the end it really comes down to the shop putting the tint on. Great tint with bad job won't look good and won't last long. It's just some of the reading I did was from a year or 2 ago and many didn't know much of the viper tint film. One person did it and kinda likes it.

Your lucky in Florida they allow front tints. I want to do my fronts but it's illegal here so I'm going to stay away from the attention

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Your lucky in Florida they allow front tints. I want to do my fronts but it's illegal here so I'm going to stay away from the attention

You might want to check out llumar air blue. I have it on my windshield, its legal and helps a lot, especially with black leather interior in florida. You should be able to put that on your front windows and stay legal.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
jimmyjam said:
You might want to check out llumar air blue. I have it on my windshield, its legal and helps a lot, especially with black leather interior in florida. You should be able to put that on your front windows and stay legal.

I see benz with those tints around the car. It's like a light blue tint right? Are you saying to do the air blue around the whole car or black back and air blue front?
I have the black leather also and I want to protect them one way with that tint. I need to find a good cleaner for leather too.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Llumar is the best. I have used their tint on all three of my vehicles.

You cannot beat a lifetime warranty and guaranteed not to bulb or color shift.

Check out their mirror tint. I used it on one of my vehicles back in the day. Looks good and is effective.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
dmanns67 said:
... Check out their mirror tint. I used it on one of my vehicles back in the day. Looks good and is effective.

I had their mirror tint on my first car. I was pimpin, and nobody could tell me different! :biggrin: :cool:

Kept the interior pretty cool (comparatively speaking) in the summers with the windows up, since I hadn't discovered vent visors yet. :duh:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
I see benz with those tints around the car. It's like a light blue tint right? Are you saying to do the air blue around the whole car or black back and air blue front?
I have the black leather also and I want to protect them one way with that tint. I need to find a good cleaner for leather too.
i think you should do regular dark tint as dark as legal wherever its legal, and air blue on the stuff that is supposed to stay transparent. The difference in heat transmission is noticeable.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Gonna look into the air blue for the windshield.

I asked when I got my last ride tinted and the tint guy said that virtually no tint a shop will carry will fade due to the change in how it is made these days vs years ago. He said its more in the application these days and any place that will warranty their stuff is using something decent. He said he used his cheaper brand and only carried the more expensive stuff for those that were anal and had to have the best of best and had money to burn. I am sure there is some difference, but if its warrantied, just have them redo it if you have issues.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I'll have to see if there is a shop that uses the llumar tint. For my mirrors they have auto dim and all so those are fine.

jimmyjam said:
i think you should do regular dark tint as dark as legal wherever its legal, and air blue on the stuff that is supposed to stay transparent. The difference in heat transmission is noticeable.

I'm going to ask the shops I call If they have air blue. One shop I called said there should be clear tint that can block the uv rays. Apparently it's in the glue that holds the tint on the Window that does all the blocking. Also if they do have air blue don't you think it would look a bit goofy to have a black car with black tints in the back and blue up front? Lol

HARDTRAILZ said:
Gonna look into the air blue for the windshield.

I asked when I got my last ride tinted and the tint guy said that virtually no tint a shop will carry will fade due to the change in how it is made these days vs years ago. He said its more in the application these days and any place that will warranty their stuff is using something decent. He said he used his cheaper brand and only carried the more expensive stuff for those that were anal and had to have the best of best and had money to burn. I am sure there is some difference, but if its warrantied, just have them redo it if you have issues.
Yeah i figured if they lifetime there warranty I shouldn't worry too much. I might go to the shop that quoted me for the $169 with the viper tint. They lifetime there film if it bubbles or color fades etc. Nothing that's my fault at least.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
ItsOnVoy said:
...don't you think it would look a bit goofy to have a black car with black tints in the back and blue up front? Lol

Here's a reference for ya :coffee:

Don't mind his security scout on the roof... :raspberry:

IMAG0292.jpg

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Here's a reference for ya :coffee:

Don't mind his security scout on the roof... :raspberry:

IMAG0292.jpg

Who needs an alarm system now a days when you have a security bird on watch :rotfl:

Yeah you can't even tell the windows are blue. Looks good! :thumbsup:

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
The shop I have always gone to uses Johnson brand film. It held up great on my old Audi and my TB. I had my forester done recently too.
upa5azyt.jpg

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Tint quality is important, so is the quality of the people doing the work. I've got annoying tint job on the rear of my GXP that ticks me off from the previous owner. I know they had it done by a half arsed shop because of the big splice in the middle of the window and the small bubbles. On the other hand, I found a shop that I took my 1980 Corvette too, that was able one pieced the rear hatch and two years later no bubbles, notta, looks mint.

Check out the shops work.

SimplySlim

Jun 15, 2013
Louisville, KY
I tint windows for a living you all... for the record "3M window film" is just reboxed cheap film you pay for the name on the box. Llumar window film is a good choice of film, it does vary on the film you use but it also varies on sun exposure... EVERYTHING fades with time and exposure. Do some research on your window tinters in your area call about prices ask about warranties offered, in detail my shop we offer a basic starting price and go from there varying on model of vehicles and the quality a customer is looking for... We don't sugar coat the customers, nor do we bend over backwards either. We carry a film that customers rarely get but it is 85% Crystal Blue Ceramic coated film for windshields it is a costly film and it runs about $150 just for the windshield but it reduces direct heat from the sun to the point your AC in your vehicle will get too cold for you. Metalized films or High Performance films are usually a better quality film to look into never go with a 1 ply or 1.5 ply if you're looking for longevity, go for 2 ply or better films

SimplySlim

Jun 15, 2013
Louisville, KY
dmanns67 said:
Thanks for the heads up! Great info :thumbsup: I have always used Llumar myself. Seems to hold up well.

We have Llumar in our shop, never use it. But the films we do carry, for install and distributing our 15 year film is some pretty great stuff I'm actually about to redo my front 2 windows again from our 5 year film to the 15 year film. Just another hint of advice if a tinter tries to sale you a cheaper film because you garage your vehicle, it only matters if it is garaged during the daylight hours when the sun's rays are the most damaging lol

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I did not know they classified the tint by years, nor did I know about the 1 ply versus 2 ply. I will definitely keep this in mind for the next vehicle I get tinted.

What is the brand of tint you guys carry or in your opinion is the best?

SimplySlim

Jun 15, 2013
Louisville, KY
dmanns67 said:
I did not know they classified the tint by years, nor did I know about the 1 ply versus 2 ply. I will definitely keep this in mind for the next vehicle I get tinted.

What is the brand of tint you guys carry or in your opinion is the best?

We carry BioFilms I'm pretty sure it is reboxed but the year difference is the durability of color stability the glue and the ply our 5 year film what I have on my Trailblazer is a single ply film basically the color stability is 5 years which I also have on my Cavalier and it is beginning to show signs of color fading on it which has been on my car for 5 years now... the 15 year film I am switching to on my TB is what is called a Premium film which the color stability is 15 years, it is a 2 ply film which is a bit more durable not as easy to damage with bumps and bangs from objects because of the thickness. Different window tinters, brand tints have different names for their quality tints so giving you names of our different quality films will more than likely differ from other places
Here is a link to my place of work to give you an understanding of what we offer
Tint Pros

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online