Best Fuel System Cleaner

DeltonRushing

Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
I have always used the Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and Lucas Deep Clean Fuel System Cleaner. I would like to know what the best one is for our trucks. Also, does anyone recommend Sea foaming our trucks? I watched the How-To video and they said to pour 1/3 of the can in the oil crankcase. I am kinda scared to add anything to my oil after the last incident using the Engine Restore. Any help is appreciated.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I've heard good things about BG44K, but I have no experience using it.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
My husband made the mistake of using engine restore in the envoy last year so I know the feeling. I like 44k, I don't use it very often as I only add it in when I change the oil, over use can be just as bad as using something like engine restore.

I obviously do not put it in my oil though lol...I just use the oil changes as a time frame of when to put a can in.

I have also sea foamed the truck, the vacuum line, oil, and gas tank. It impresses the kids with the smoke show and makes the neighbors think my truck is on fire lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I run Seafoam through mine shortly before each oil change following the OLM. (oil, gas tank, and intake) It's been running really well, when I took it in for some steering/suspension work last month, some of the service guys came out to comment that it was the smoothest running TB they've ever worked on.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Its fine to run that stuff in your oil for a little while but prolonged usage will start eating softparts like valve seals etc. So just use it before an oil change
Blckshdw said:
some of the service guys came out to comment that it was the smoothest running TB they've ever worked on.
what a bunch of dick riders! :tongue: lol

May 22, 2012
DeltonRushing said:
I have always used the Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and Lucas Deep Clean Fuel System Cleaner. I would like to know what the best one is for our trucks. Also, does anyone recommend Sea foaming our trucks? I watched the How-To video and they said to pour 1/3 of the can in the oil crankcase. I am kinda scared to add anything to my oil after the last incident using the Engine Restore. Any help is appreciated.

The best fuel system cleaner is the ethanol you put in there every tank full.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
The Voy was running a bit rough so I ran a bottle of Gumout with Regaine and that smoothed it out. I'm that is equivalent to Chevron's Techron which gets good marks for cleaning the fuel system. I have since cleaned the throttle body.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Team Dougherty said:

I wish that were true. If that was true the EPA wouldn't be ensuring gasoline suppliers add fuel injector cleaner to each truckload before delivery to stations.

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
Ive always been a fan of a good seafoam regimen,the smoke show scares the neighbors in out apt complex.i got a few complaints last time

DeltonRushing

Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Voymom said:
My husband made the mistake of using engine restore in the envoy last year so I know the feeling. I like 44k, I don't use it very often as I only add it in when I change the oil, over use can be just as bad as using something like engine restore.

I obviously do not put it in my oil though lol...I just use the oil changes as a time frame of when to put a can in.

I have also sea foamed the truck, the vacuum line, oil, and gas tank. It impresses the kids with the smoke show and makes the neighbors think my truck is on fire lol

Yea, remember the incident I had with engine restore, thanks for helping me with that.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
DeltonRushing said:
Yea, remember the incident I had with engine restore, thanks for helping me with that.

Just curious, what's wrong with engine restore?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
dcmtnbkr said:

I'm not exactly sure of the exact reason, scientific or anything, but our trucks just do not like it. My husband added engine restore to the envoy last year and that opened up more than a can of worms for us. I had codes flying, CPAS went to shit, stuttering, stalling, shaky/rough idle, it was an absolutely horrible experience that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I had issues afterwards that I am STILL trying to fix.....I just corrected my stalling/sputtering issue in December.

Never again will I ever use that crap...EVER!!

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
dcmtnbkr said:

I'm curious as well. The i6 doesn't seem to like it but I have used it in multiple high mileage engines of the past with great success.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Voymom said:
I'm not exactly sure of the exact reason, scientific or anything, but our trucks just do not like it. My husband added engine restore to the envoy last year and that opened up more than a can of worms for us. I had codes flying, CPAS went to shit, stuttering, stalling, shaky/rough idle, it was an absolutely horrible experience that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I had issues afterwards that I am STILL trying to fix.....I just corrected my stalling/sputtering issue in December.

Do you know if it's the same with the 5.3?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:

If I remember correctly your truck had a questionable service history and needed a laundry list of maintenance done to it. You tried to circumvent the preventative maint. by using engine restore.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:
If I remember correctly your truck had a questionable service history and needed a laundry list of maintenance done to it. You tried to circumvent the preventative maint. by using engine restore.

I didn't try to circumvent preventative maintenance...there is a huge difference between being ignorant and uninformed.

I and Mat have used engine restore in a lot of other vehicles without a problem. He added the engine restore initially because I had the issue with the truck sputtering which was fixed when I got the PCM tune.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
1 can of BG44K annually or roughly 15K miles, never a complaint or fuel related issue.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
vipergg said:
I 2nd Techron as a cleaner .

The PEA (Poly Ether Amine) in Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus is what gets the carbon out of the combustion chamber. The mineral spirits in Techron is what cleans the injectors. I have a stash of low odor mineral spirits in my garage and use it on occasion. If all your doing is cleaning the injectors save some money and just buy some low odor mineral spirits.

But the best way to clean the injectors is to use a pressurized fuel rail kit with cleaners that contain a high level of ethyl benzene and xylene (carb cleaner). The reason you hook it directly up the the fuel rail is because the stuff is too strong to run through the pump. It would melt any plastic or rubber it comes into contact with.

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
Team Dougherty said:

Pretty much hit it right in the nuts right here. All that other stuff is snake oil.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
groundshock said:
All that other stuff is snake oil.

The ethanol in fuel has drying properties only. It absorbs water. That's about it. No cleaning ability there.

Go to any automotive store and buy some carb cleaner and clean your throttle body. See how that crud and varnish just melts away? Same thing happens to your injectors when you do an inline fuel rail service. Not everything is snake oil.

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
Fair enough. But few people realize that throwing in a 1.99 bottle of STP does not equal a true service like you describe.

I'll stand corrected.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Find fuel without ethanol and you will get better MPG and the vehicle will run better. I miss the days of real gas.

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
I've got the PCM4Less tune on my truck, tuned for 87. I still use 91 non-ethanol (because that's the only way around here to get anything without ethanol) and can absolutely tell the difference if I have to fill with 10% ethanol. Night and day.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
groundshock said:
I've got the PCM4Less tune on my truck, tuned for 87. I still use 91 non-ethanol (because that's the only way around here to get anything without ethanol) and can absolutely tell the difference if I have to fill with 10% ethanol. Night and day.

Sure, sure... and my name if bigfoot. Are you flooring it all the time? lol I would get the PCM flashed for 91 octane and stick with it. You are wasting money pressing the gas pedal to get more power with the 87 and using 91 with no tune for it is a waste.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Sure, sure... and my name if bigfoot. Are you flooring it all the time? lol I would get the PCM flashed for 91 octane and stick with it. You are wasting money pressing the gas pedal to get more power with the 87 and using 91 with no tune for it is a waste.

Huh? Where did you gather he was pressing the pedal more? He just uses 91 to avoid ethanol which is terrible on motors. He has an 87 tune so he can run whatever but he is smart and avoids the ethanol.

I tuned for premium to avoid ethanol but only when i needed a reflash for tire size n gear change anyway. I wouldn't bother reflashing for octane only. I dont see it $50 well spent since with 87 tune you can run any fuel anyway.

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
Come drive my truck sometime. Drive it for a week, learn it's quirks and how it feels when it's full of 10%. Then we'll fill it up with non-ethanol premium and you can be the judge.

I'm not saying it's a 10HP gain. Subtle but noticeable differences at idle and low speed.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
CaptainXL said:

Different fuel tables for low and high octane, regardless of tune. You cannot compare 91 pure gas to 87 with 10%. Compare both with ethanol or both without...not mixed and matched.

Mine runs better under load with 93 but im not paying for it. You get more spark advance with higher octane, but if you fill your tank with 87 and the ecm keeps getting knocks from being set from the last tank of 91, it degaults to the low octane map amd stays there until ypu fill up with at least 5 gallons or more...not sure on exact number.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
dcmtnbkr said:

Most engines that will set a code for dirty oil (P0014?), will have a problem with Restore.
It fills in scratches in cylinder walls with a dark brown filler and makes the oil look like it is really dirty and clogs the CPAS.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online