NEED HELP Bad fuel pump?

Fishnbob

Original poster
May 14, 2023
OC
06 Saab 97x 5.3

Went to start today and it cranks, the acts like it starts then dies. Checked fuel pressure at rail, 50-52. Specs call for 55-62. I jacked up the driver side , got underneath and pounded the tank with a rubber mallet while wife cranked, no start no change. I don’t have a scanner just a code reader and no codes at all. Fuel pump or??

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Do you have any lights on the dash after trying to start? Take pictures and post them.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
No lights at all? Check engine? Oil? Security?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Do us a favor, with your Key On, but Engine Off, take a picture of your cluster, and post it.

There should be some sort of light on.. Thats why I would like to see a pic of it.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Probably NOT the Fuel Pump:

(1) Download, Save and Review THIS Video concerning the Location of the FUSE BOXES in the Saab 97-X and start this investigation by Systematically Checking EACH Fuse in each of those Fuse Box Locations and report back whatever you find in the way of Burned Out Fuses:

(2) You will need a Test Light to Test Each Fuse for continuity. Attach the Alligator Clamp of the Test Light to the Negative Battery Post (Black) and then TEST that it is working by touching the Steel Point of the Probe to the Positive Battery Post (RED) and ensure that the Light in the handle LIGHTS UP.

(3) Next, Visit each Fuse Box and after Pulling their Covers and reading there data on the INSIDE ...systematically probe the Tiny Metal Depressions on BOTH sides of each and every Fuse... WITHOUT PULLING THEM OUT OF THE FUSE BLOCK INSERT LOCATIONS TO DO SO.

(4) If the Test Lamp Lights UP on one side but Does NOT Light Up on the other... Continue to Poke at the Small Contact Points a few more times to ensure good contact with the Pin Probe. Then... PULL OUT THE SUSPECT FUSE and Eyeball the condition of the Hidden Filament inside by holding it up to a Light.

(5) If the Soft Metal Element inside has MELTED... Make a Note of that Fuse Color, its Marked Amperage Limit and its Numbered Location inside of the Fuse Box and its Identity Acronym from the Fuse Box Chart. Follow the Directions given in THIS Video:

Then... Come back here and tell us what you have found out...

The Circuit Continuity Test Probe Lights are available at AutoZone, eBay and Amazon from various vendors... any Basic Test Lamp Probe like THIS One ...will do:

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could be the ignition switch however the Saab doesn't have the traditional GM truck switch but a variant of the in dash one like the old Impala with the chipped key and PassKey 3. However having the key at RUN should still produce the lights in the cluster.

Just keep this difference in switches and security systems in mind.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Different Saab 9-3 Here ..BUT.... THIS Video is worth Noting only if the 9-7X has a similar PCM to ABS Harness Issue...JUST IN CASE they are the SAME ABS Brain Set UP:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
There should be some sort of light on.. Thats why I would like to see a pic of it.

I have to verify this but I believe that even if the cluster is totally without power, as long as the ground is intact, the CEL will turn on when the PCM activates it.

So with the key in RUN and engine OFF the CEL should be on.

Fishnbob

Original poster
May 14, 2023
OC
Alright I but the bullet and took it to my Technician for diagnosis. Ends up a blown head gasket. Plugs are wet. Glad I had a real tech do this diagnosis or I’d be chasing my tail. Now another question, is this motor a DOD?? I’m gonna do the job myself as my tech said I could do it just to make sure to take heads to his referral for leveling in case of any warpage.

• Wow
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Geez, who would have thought? Yes, it's a DOD engine so if pulling the heads, it would be a good idea to do a DOD delete at the same time and get it tuned.

Fishnbob

Original poster
May 14, 2023
OC
Geez, who would have thought? Yes, it's a DOD engine so if pulling the heads, it would be a good idea to do a DOD delete at the same time and get it tuned.
In California so can’t do the tune unfortunately. But is doing this job on a DOD make it any harder?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Mostly... On Your WALLET... for the DOD Delete Kit (ROLLER CAMSHAFT NOT INCLUDED) and for the Cost of having the Engine Heads Examined for Warps, Cracks and for their Re-Build. Then... Perhaps the Challenge of Your Patience, the Attention to Details, the Preparation and the Wrenching Skill Set necessary to Do ALL of this RIGHT

For your particular LH6 Motor... Michigan Motorsports carries THIS Full DOD Delete Kit:

Does NOT Include the Replacement Roller Camshaft!

DOD_Delete_Kit_LS1_Gaskets_16_Lifters__26078.jpg

CompCam DOD Delete Kit R&R:

And from Scoggin-Dickey.... Their DOD Delete 101 Kit and R&R Video Advice:

And Two More just to provide some looks at ALL of The Work Involved:

Last But Not Least...You'll need some Help with getting the DOD Feature deleted from the PCM as well. Consult here with @limequat and-or @Kelly@PCMofNC for this Service.

Attachments

• Delphi_Lifters_Set_of_16_1__56598.jpg
    Delphi_Lifters_Set_of_16_1__56598.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Gen_IV_Valley_Cover_8832_2__95235.jpg
    Gen_IV_Valley_Cover_8832_2__95235.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Gen_IV_Valley_Cover_8832_5__09841.jpg
    Gen_IV_Valley_Cover_8832_5__09841.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 0
  • GM_Lifter_Tray_4__97382.jpg
    GM_Lifter_Tray_4__97382.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
  • K7100_4__99897.jpg
    K7100_4__99897.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 0
  • LS1_Head_Gasket_7__15969.jpg
    LS1_Head_Gasket_7__15969.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 0
  • LS1_Head_Gaskets_1__02491.jpg
    LS1_Head_Gaskets_1__02491.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 0
  • LS_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_2__27461.jpg
    LS_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_2__27461.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
  • LS_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_3__33873.jpg
    LS_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_3__33873.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 0
  • 97500_Trays_x4__15762.jpg
    97500_Trays_x4__15762.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Fishnbob

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
In California so can’t do the tune unfortunately. But is doing this job on a DOD make it any harder?
Yes you can.. Just need to find someone with HP tuners, and turn off the AFM/DOD in the factory tune. Since you are turning something off in the factory tune, and not altering any parameter's of the OEM tune, its completely legal.

Since you are going to be rebuilding the top end of the engine, you could also send out the PCM/TCM to @limequat and he can tune it out.

I am in Colorado, and although we dont have the Commyfornia emissions, we are only 1 step behind. And I tuned mine with @limequat , and passed emissions.

Reactions: Fishnbob

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes you can.. Just need to find someone with HP tuners, and turn off the AFM/DOD in the factory tune. Since you are turning something off in the factory tune, and not altering any parameter's of the OEM tune, its completely legal.
Maybe not. I have read the CA has started checking the checksum of the original tunes and if they don't equate, fail. If you can't do a tune, you can't delete.

Then, I would suggest that you just replace all the stock lifters, including the DOD lifters, and the trays, keep the original cam and use a Range DOD/AFM disabler. It just plugs into the OBD port and when it's time to get smog tested, pull it out. No evidence left behind and all works as it should.

Reactions: azswiss

Fishnbob

Original poster
May 14, 2023
OC
Maybe not. I have read the CA has started checking the checksum of the original tunes and if they don't equate, fail. If you can't do a tune, you can't delete.

Then, I would suggest that you just replace all the stock lifters, including the DOD lifters, and the trays, keep the original cam and use a Range DOD/AFM disabler. It just plugs into the OBD port and when it's time to get smog tested, pull it out. No evidence left behind and all works as it should.
Thanks! I talked to my tech today and he thinks I can do it so I’m gonna go for it

Fishnbob

Original poster
May 14, 2023
OC

Okay so I’ve torn all down and heads are at the shop. Question is, lifters look alright but if I get the Range disabler do I need to replace all lifters with non AFM/DOD??

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No. The Range is just to temporarily disable DOD. All of its components have to be present to have it functional at smog test time and prevent setting codes. I would replace all the lifters as they can fail regardless but that is your choice to reuse the old ones.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online