BAD front bumper sag.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
I have really bad bumper sag on my envoy,Ive looked up the how to remove front bumper and it seems different than an envoy. Does anyone know the common causes of this sag? Its really bad on the pass side near headlight. Could there be a broken clip or something that I need to replace? Thanks alot guys,Im not able to get out to my truck right now so I cannot get under there and figure it out but would love to have a plan of action for when I can do it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Ken, kindly quit breaking your truck please? Thanks! :raspberry:

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Lol well a lot of things have been ongoing I just haven't asked for help yet lol just like the annoying ticking from possibly my hvac system everyyime I start the truck.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Hood was popped up but the bumper sag is horrible on the passengers side....

2013-02-08164345_zpsbc9c5f74.jpg

2013-02-08164327_zps3b47f366.jpg

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
it most definitely seems to have gotten worse,I check the little plastic clip on the passengers side but it doesnt seem broke or loose...Im also not sure how those clips work. any idea where to start guys? It literally looks like my front bumper is falling off! lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If the clips on the sides aren't broken or bent, I'd say take your bumper off and start measuring different points on the bumper supports to see if they are the same height above the ground. This way you'll know if it's a problem with the bumper cover, or with the truck itself, and it just presents itself as a problem with the bumper cover. :twocents:

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Well Im guessing it has to be a broken clip or something because its slowly gotten worse.

06TrailLT2

Jan 24, 2012
I have the same problem, front bumper on the passenger side has a sag that looks exactly like yours. I haven't had a chance to pull the bumper to find out what's wrong with it but I took a quick look and it looks like I have a clip that isn't hold. If you figured out what caused yours will you let me know? Thanks

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Well the clip on the side doesn't seem broken so I'm not sure. Haven't torn into it yet.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
similar problem on my TBLS, I'm going to somewhat follow the how-to article on removal...will post pics elsewhere...your truck looks great, hope you get yours fixed up again

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Anyone see an issue with this clip? Heres a few pics of the sagging side...

2013-04-07162139_zps11720a35.jpg

2013-04-07162129_zps1b96f8d4.jpg

2013-04-07162118_zps1ab9049b.jpg

AND heres a couple pics of the drivers side that does not sag...

2013-04-07162157_zps8ac9172f.jpg

2013-04-07162202_zps8fafbf65.jpg

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
seems like one mount on the sagging side is physically lower than the other, hoping I can get mine fixed soon too

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
i'm working on a fix that involves a little welding and can be adjustable...not sure if it will work on Envoys as the mounting looks to be different from a TB

i'll look at body diagrams on Nalley Parts to see if its similar...but in theory this could fix TB sagging front corners

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
SO I know this is a 2 year old post but I still have this bumper sag on the passenger side and it seems to have gotten even worse, or maybe just my OCD getting worse. So, the outer passenger clip is still in tact with no problems so here is what I did to fix the gap temporarily directly under the headlight but then the gap gets bigger as it gets toward the fender, heres some pictures of what I did and also an Idea I had.

Heres my cheap fix for directly under the headlight area

20150510_220425_zpsqq72me7h.jpg

Here is a little metal bracket that bolts to the actual core support area,I was wondering if I drilled a new hole for it a little higher up if that would essentially allow the bumper to sit up higher and get rid of the gap? I know the side plastic clip will probably have to be unclipped for this to work.

20150510_220454_zpsyvnlpf9f.jpg

20150510_220438_zpsxji7sc83.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It looks almost like that clip has warped a bit over time. I wonder if you could take the bumper cover off, use a heat gun to soften the plastic (carefully!) and reshape it a bit?

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
I'm really not sure, I am going to try something this weekend, that metal bracket that attaches to the bottom of the bumper and the metal that I took a picture of I'm going to try to move it up and see if it will pull the bumper up some, if it does I'll be drilling new holes and making it attach up about a 1/4" higher to force the bumper to pull up if that makes sense

Jun 16, 2014
same problem with my truck, i was told jb weld works miracles, maybe if nothing else works you could grind the clips off flush as possible and jb weld them 1 inch or so higher up

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Well that won't work because the metal mounting point for the clip to slide into would still be 1" lower.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Its crazy because even with the clips in and all if I pull up on the bumper it doesn't really move much at all, definitely less than 1/8".

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I had the same problem with the same side. I accidentally rolled (about 1mph) into a snow mound when I lived up north and I heard something "crack" in the bumper. Once the snow melted and I had a chance to inspect what happened, I noticed a gap just below the passenger side headlight -just like yours.

Once the weather warmed up, I removed the front bumper and saw that the corner of the mount broke off, along with the whole piece completely breaking away from inside of the bumper. The metal tab on the frame was the only thing holding it on. Anyhow, I used a fiberglass repair kit (with the fiberglass cloth) to reinforce the mount to the inside and creating a new corner. I clamped the mount to the inside of the bumper, then applied the cloth and epoxy with a brush. It wasn't pretty when finished, but it definitely was effective.

I did the repair in the spring of '13 and it's still holding strong today. The repair even withstood the long ride going through pothole-ridden Philly, Baltimore and Washington DC when I drove it down here to FL last November.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
The corner clip you are referring to seems to be in tact, I will get a few pictures.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mine has had the same gap as yours man. Although, mine was hit once and the bumper isn't the original lol.

But seriously, the TB at least usually has a fairly noticeable gap there. Brandon's is the smallest gap between fender and bumper that I've ever seen.

Reactions: SnowBlazer

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Also rocking a gap three times bigger than Brandon's...front and rear bumper.. But it was in a wreck before we got it, probably large amounts of half-ass-ery going on in there. I know they left the passenger side front most fender bolt out which I need to address..it rattles when caught by wind.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Unless it was never reported and the owner fixed it himself. Carfax is not a crystal ball.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mooseman said:
Unless it was never reported and the owner fixed it himself. Carfax is not a crystal ball.
That's for sure. I had a 98 Camaro that had a squeaky clean carfax but the car was anything but lol. Bought it with existing deer damage on the front right corner, found out later on the passenger side had been hit (tboned maybe?) and the door had been replaced along with a bunch of other stuff kinda sorta straightened out but not perfect (nothing structural thankfully).

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Nothing permanent really. Did you see what the OP did in post #17?

richphotos

Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
Yeah I checked that out. I may take the bumper off this weekend and play around with a few things and see what I am able to come up with.
If anything works well, i will be sure to post it here.
I have been doing reading on other vehicle bumper sagging, and obviously its different but some of those ideas could possibly be useful.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online