Back up camera installation (w/ pics)

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
The install isn't rocket science, but I thought I would post with pics for anyone who is contemplating the install. I installed a camera that is very similar to the TaoTronics CC06, except this one has night vision and is both PAL and NTSC compatible. The camera was installed directly above the license plate and centered side-to-side since there was plenty of room.

This is the camera.
View attachment 27251

Due to the size of the connectors and ferrite housing, I had to drill a 1/2" hole next to the license plate socket to fit them into the tailgate.
View attachment 27252

The camera mounted easily with the small self-tapping screws provided, although I did start with a tiny pilot hole to ensure their location. Below shows the camera mounted and license plate light cover back in position.
View attachment 27253

The next step is to route the wires for the camera through the tailgate and into the truck itself. I could not fit more wires through the grommet that connects the tailgate to the truck, so I ran wire wires outside of the grommet, but through the same access holes. I'll be honest, I need to go back and ensure I still get a good seal of the grommets to the truck.

The next step is to find power for the camera, and to signal the Pioneer deck that the truck is in reverse. I tapped the drivers side reverse lamp (light green) off the harness, pulled it into the truck, and then connected 2 wires - one powering the camera, and one going to the receiver. You also have to ground the camera. I chose to ground it at the latch for the tailgate.
View attachment 27254

View attachment 27255

View attachment 27256

From here I simply ran the video and power signal wires around the floor of the truck, tucking them neatly under the sills, up under the drivers kick panel, and to the receiver. Connect the video / power wires to the receiver, configure the settings on the deck (use "Battery" polarity for camera), and re-install panels as needed.

Here is the view (damn good for a $16 camera),
View attachment 27257

And here she is complete. What an awesome upgrade! I backed the truck up to my boat absolutely perfectly the first time. I mean perfectly. :yes:
View attachment 27258

Attachments

• P1050163.jpg
    P1050163.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 202
  • P1050167.jpg
    P1050167.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 220
  • P1050169.jpg
    P1050169.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 221
  • P1050175.jpg
    P1050175.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 221
  • P1050176.jpg
    P1050176.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 207
  • P1050180.jpg
    P1050180.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 211
  • P1050194.jpg
    P1050194.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 205
  • P1050196.jpg
    P1050196.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: Dani_bahena

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
done a few installs of those when I worked at the shop, nice write-up
pretty straight-forward install if you've done it before, if not, I'm sure this will help.
I was considering getting the camera that comes with the license plate bracket, as I don't have a cover on mine...but I like the look of the camera directly under the hatch release and handle :smile:
you may have swayed me towards that, sir...........

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
Great job, now you need to "fix" the black trim on the bumper :biggrin:
I plastic dipped mine last year but it's peeling now. It is also said you can use a heat gun but I don't know how long that lasts.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
May I ask the model of camera you purchased and where. I have the Aviv z140bh and would love to watch what's behind me on it.

In see you have similar looking pioneer is there an option to view camera while not in reverse

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
I bought this camera from a US supplier for $1 more.

Night Vision LED Car Rear View Reversing Parking Backup Color Camera 170° 12V | eBay

That listing has since expired or I would link direct to it. Again, this is virtually identical to the TaoTronics CC06 that you can find on Amazon, but TaoTronics is only NTSC compatible. It should not matter for the Pioneer - it can use PAL or NTSC.

Yes, there is an option to view what is behind you at all times. Simply change rear camera view to ON and it will stay on, however, you will need to power the camera from a constant 12V supply. If you want to view in reverse only, you keep the rear camera view OFF, and it switches on only when in reverse.

Yes, I need to fix the black trim. :no: Thanks for the reminder. :biggrin:

Regarding location, if you are not looking FOR the camera, you wouldn't know it is there. The license plate mounts are generally fixed view (not sure I could aim it towards the hitch) and are very noticeable after installation.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Thanks for response link you sent is still an active auction. At least buy it now is able to be clicked in 10 days left in auction

Think I'll snatch one up thanks for info can't wait

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would love this just for hooking up trailers. My JVC NX7000 has that capability. Wouldn't a camera like this make it look more OEM? Even comes with a hole saw. Right in the middle above the license plate would look right at home there I think. Are all these cameras the same or some better than others?

[EBAY]181116810998[/EBAY]

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Great job...I love novelty options. I wished this could be done with the oem nav unit.

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Wouldn't a camera like this make it look more OEM? Even comes with a hole saw.

I saw that too, but wasn't too keen on drilling a hole into my TB. At least not for my first camera. :cool:

I also wasn't sure if the rear bumper would block the view of the hitch ball with the 3" drop. I was going to mount that camera where the red dot is below. Probably not, but I wasn't sure.

In any case, I can see the ball and street behind me perfectly with this camera looking somewhat downward. I'll have to post a pic when I hook-up the boat tomorrow.

To be honest, I don't think that camera mounted above the plate would see the ball at all. They claim 170 degree wide and 120 degree vertical views, but that is a little overstated in my opinion.

If you go with that one, please share pics. It's always good to have options. :thumbsup:

View attachment 27291

My wife took my truck to the store today and raved about the camera. I like it because there is less chance she'll back into a shopping cart (like she did with her van back when)..

Attachments

• P1050196-b.jpg
    P1050196-b.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 53

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Great job.

A backup camera is something I am seriously considering for the Silverado. Turns out the cab is partially wired for it (not all of my model are). I can get the monitor in the review mirror, the tailgate handle camera, an adapter and some wiring to make it look factory.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was thinking either the green position or the yellow but the yellow one would probably point it up. The green one would probably be perfect. The viewing angle looks good, even pointed down as yours is.

Attachments

• Camera positions.jpg
    Camera positions.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 55

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
That's a very good, clean oem looking install Ed :thumbsup: I also wish this could be done with the factory nav :frown: I like the mounting point where it's out of the way.

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012

Attachments

• P1050205.jpg
    P1050205.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 45
  • P1050204.jpg
    P1050204.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 43

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Hey Ed, I like your choice in HU :thumbsup:

IMAG0220-1.jpg

I opted for a much lower mounting point, down inside the trailer hitch itself, since I never tow anything. It's worked pretty well for me so far, since I just wanted it so I could see how close I was to other vehicles, light poles, walls, etc when backing into parking spots. Didn't have to drill any holes, so I can move it later, or remove it completely and nothing has to get plugged. I went with one of the wide angle, night vision cameras, and it's OK for what I paid for. If there's any light source behind you at night, most of the picture is glared out. And the wide angle lens, sometimes makes vehicles off to the side, appear further behind you than they actually are. That took some getting used to. :crazy:

IMAG0224-1.jpg

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Hey Ed, I like your choice in HU :thumbsup:

IMAG0220-1.jpg

I opted for a much lower mounting point, down inside the trailer hitch itself, since I never tow anything. It's worked pretty well for me so far, since I just wanted it so I could see how close I was to other vehicles, light poles, walls, etc when backing into parking spots. Didn't have to drill any holes, so I can move it later, or remove it completely and nothing has to get plugged. I went with one of the wide angle, night vision cameras, and it's OK for what I paid for. If there's any light source behind you at night, most of the picture is glared out. And the wide angle lens, sometimes makes vehicles off to the side, appear further behind you than they actually are. That took some getting used to. :crazy:

IMAG0224-1.jpg

I'll get mine...eventually :frown:
good looking installs, though. I bet no one will even notice that cam haha
I had NO idea when I bought the tb that when I paid it off, I would be putting more into it per month in mods, than I did in the payment :rotfl:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Both are great options for the backup camera and nice write up Ed!

NinjuhhNutz said:
I'll get mine...eventually :frown:
good looking installs, though. I bet no one will even notice that cam haha
I had NO idea when I bought the tb that when I paid it off, I would be putting more into it per month in mods, than I did in the payment :rotfl:

Yeah man you and me both! Seems to be the trend for my last (2) vehicles as well as the wife's truck! Who really wants to own a vehicle that looks like the rest without adding your own personality to it.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
You guys are making way too a case to replace the OEM nav with something new.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online