Auxiliary Reverse Lights, longwinded problem.

Taz6056

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I have been lusting after some back up light help for a while now, as every Envoy owner knows, the backup lights are seriously lacking light. Enter Harbor Freights off road light system. I ditched the wires, switch, fuse holder and connectors supplied, and just took the lights and the mounts. My problems is two fold and I only created half of it I swear! The previous owner must have tried a similar mod, because there was a wire soldered to the back up wire on the trailer hitch (Bargman Style?) The wire goes up the frame rail and into the cab on the drivers side. I want to use that to tap into reverse power similair to others I have seen here and other forums, using a SPDT switch, I am looking for Full time on, Off, and Auto on in reverse. This previously installed wire will be my reverse trigger. On to the part of the problem I did create. I want to use indicator lights for the switch so I know when the lights are on at a glance at all times. Radioshack p/n 272-336, is a 2 pack indicator light, which is perfect for Fulltime and Auto on, paired with a small project box, and switch p/n 275-711 I have my in cab control. I have wired alot of stuff before, but never a stand alone relay, I have a multimeter, and a basic knowledge on how to use it. On to the wiring. I have mounted the lights, wired the grounds to the brackets I welded up, ran the full time power to the relay harness, fused the entire project, but cannot for the life of me get the power to the lights in reverse. I wired both indicators to a common ground on the frame, leaving both hot leads out of the switch box, one side for fulltime on wired to the relay socket. So now I am stumped on how to wire the reverse lead. Someone on another forum talked about using a diode, which I know is a one way sort of check valve for electricity. But im not sure how to use it properly.

Ok so looooong story short.

I have fulltime power to the lights, through the switch box, and relay but cannot for my life get power in reverse. What the hell am I missing please GMT NATION HELP ME!!!

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Theres an article on Trailvoy about how to set it up and wire it up correctly, I would like it for you but I no longer have access to the articles

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
PLEASE correct me if im wrong, but couldn't you just take the reverse light power from the trailer hitch wire and connect them directly to your new lights? You would only have to ground them at that point. They would/should turn on when you put it in reverse. Seems like the write-up really puts a lot into the manual/auto feature. I would just want mine on when im backing up. I thought it would take about 15 minutes to install that way, and accomplish my/our/the op's goal. It's on my list of things I need to do this summer. Im assuming any set of fog lights would work, even the $25 walmart pair. :undecided:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I agree. Seems to be way too complicated just to add lights unless you really need to control when they turn on or not. The only other question is how many amps can the trailer hook up for the reverse light handle? If you're using 55W driving lights, it might be too much.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Mooseman said:
I agree. Seems to be way too complicated just to add lights unless you really need to control when they turn on or not. The only other question is how many amps can the trailer hook up for the reverse light handle? If you're using 55W driving lights, it might be too much.

Relay. For power, hook up the mystery red wire under the hood and tap off it at the trailer plug harness. Use the reverse pin wire for the relay trigger.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
CdnGMan said:
Any idea if these are any brighter than the spider LED's that are available on eBay?

Oh ABSOLUTELY! Cree powered bulbs have a microcircuitry that boosts the power of a single SMD by 13.5 times that of the stock bulb.
This a pic in late afternoon
IMG_20120202_173325.jpg

IMG_20120202_173343.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
kardain said:
Relay. For power, hook up the mystery red wire under the hood and tap off it at the trailer plug harness. Use the reverse pin wire for the relay trigger.

Great minds think alike :thumbsup:. I have a set of small driving lights laying around gathering dust so will likely go this route. Will also dip the whole relay and socket in Plastidip to protect it from the elements.

If I didn't have the lights, I probably would have went with the CREE lights. BTW, what does "CREE" stand for? Is it a brand name?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Mooseman said:
BTW, what does "CREE" stand for? Is it a brand name?
Yes. Major player in high power LED technology for industrial and consumer use. I use their products at work for high power semiconductor illuminators. CREE | LEDs for the LED Lighting Revolution A quick googling didn't reveal WHY they named themselves Cree, though. Now you have me challenged.

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
If I were to use the cree bulb in the stock light should I put new lenses on as well in reverse lights? Do they have brighter driving lights that are white not blue'ish?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
LED technology has changed quite a bit since this thread was last active. How bad do your reverse lenses look? (post a pic please) then we can better tell you if they should be replaced or not.

For driving lights, I assume you are talking about headlight bulbs? There are a ton of threads/posts about HIDs, LEDs, and HIR (high powered halogen) bulbs. LEDs are all around that 6000K range, so those are out. That leaves you with 4300K HIDs or HIRs. Recommendations from there all depend on how much modding you feel comfortable with doing. HIRs are mostly plug 'n play, you may have to do a little trimming on the bulb tabs. Requirements for HIDs have been discussed plenty. :twocents:

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
i will keep lookin all i find is interior and head/tail lights and driving lights I was shooting for lower aux not the day time runners and don't like the blue'ish look.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
i will keep lookin all i find is interior and head/tail lights and driving lights I was shooting for lower aux not the day time runners and don't like the blue'ish look.

Edit: I think I see the problem you're running into, all of the 'warm white' LED aux lights list their color temp as 6000K (false advertising) So you may have to stick with halogen.

Last edited:

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
I may I just wanted to get brighter reverse lights though for safety since my son drives it now up front we see fine could be better but fine. that may be why i cannot find a thread on it its just for reverse rightnow, i changed the lenses they were bad but still hard to see and dont want driving lights mounted low...but you are right there is allot of false advertising.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.