Anyone used automotix.net?

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I've been searching for an 8.6" GT5 rear axle, without much luck locally. I found these guys who list several for sale at $416 including shipping (I'm waiting for an answer back on the mileage). Seems a bit high, but considering the shipping cost is probably rolled into that, it might be about right. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever ordered from them before, and what you thought of the quality of the part and the customer service?

[EDIT] I suppose since I'm here I should also ask... my 3.42 axle has the G80 option... Is this a separate code on the 4.10 axles, or does a GT5 have the same 'features' as my current axle?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Each of the three gear ratio codes can ALSO have G80 on the RPO sticker. I found when I was looking at junkyard axles that they always ask if you want one with Limited Slip because that's what the software inventory system uses to denote G80 lockers as well as LSD. You don't have to educate the junkyards on the nuances between the Eaton Automatic locker and the limited slip technology. I discovered they just don't care. :wink:

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
What about "POSSI"? I'm assuming posi-trac, but does that sound accurate for the G80, or is that yet another option?

I sent an email to automotix.net using their button to contact sales about an item. I got a stock email back saying to call them directly with my VIN number so they could give me a quote. This does not bode well. I should call anyway just to mess with him, see if he can even comprehend that I am changing my gear ratio.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've used car-part.com to search for parts and you are basically dealing with the individual yards directly. Found an engine locally that way. But then automotix.net offers free shipping but that is likely worked into the price.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks... I did try car-part.com, but it looks like a lot of local yards must have scrapped their parts this Summer. At the moment, the only thing I can find locally has over 200k miles on it... not something I want to deal with. I'll pay the extra $100 to get something shipped that has less than 100k on it.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I broke down and called automotix today to see if they had one with the G80 option...

"I have one with 76k miles near you for only $765"

Uhhh I'm looking at one one on your website that is listed in "very good" condition for only $416. Here's the stock number...

"Oh the price is that low because the housing is completely rusted out. It says so right there in the description."

Er... you call that "very good" condition? And there are no descriptions on your website, it says you have to call to get any information. So what do you have in good condition for a more reasonable price?

"We won't have any in good condition at that price!"

Yeah ok, thanks anyway....
My guess -- EVERY item they stock is listed as "very good" condition and you won't find any usable parts at a reasonable price through their site.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
WTF? Really? Unless it came off the showroom floor, diffs are always rusted. Covers may rust through but who cares about the housing? If he's talking about the brake backing plates, they're replaceable.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
"She", actually, and she made it sound like the unit was completely rusted out and falling apart. Of course she couldn't point me to a page online where I could actually view the exact description, so I have no way of knowing if it was just covered in the typical road rust, or if there really was a serious issue with the unit. She also didn't give me any other details about hat unit, like how many miles were on it. I guess basically what I'm trying to say is that when I told her what I was looking for, she immediately pulled up the most expensive unit and didn't even want to talk about anything in a more realistic price range.

I paid $500 for the front differential because that is actually a rare piece to find (and the one I got was in fantastic condition)... No way I'm going to pay $765 for a rear axle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online