Anyone ever build their own exhaust?

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Hey guys, Has anyone ever built an exaust system? I was just thinking to myself, i wonder if i could build my own cat-back exaust.. i did the res delet and ran pipe out behind my back tire. Im wondering if there would be any down side in running a self made exaust. how hard it is. and if i should just stop thinking about it (if i think about it enough, ill end up doing it)..
I have a welded, but no way to bend pipe or anything.

Thanks to anyone who can help, or has any input!!
-Dan

03luvvoy

Apr 26, 2012
I have been thinkin about doing it myself bu im in the same boat and don have a pipe bender but was thinkin about just sectioning it out I might figure something out I work in a welding shop so I'm gunna try and figure something out that is unique lol

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Ya man i agree. I was just looking at the state inspection in MD.. if i didnt have to get it inspected id start tomorrow lol. Stupid emmision :frown: But itd deffintly be an awesome build i think :cool:

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
The I6 exhaust pipe is oversized already. No need to go bigger. Just cut out the flat spot over the axle.

Cut out your stock muffler and weld in a muffler of your choice. Here's my truck with a 2 chamber welded muffler (Like a Flowmaster 40).

Ignore my Camaro. This video was for illustrative purposes. (No, it won't sound like a V8) :biggrin:

[video=youtube;O3dn4uBhiGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3dn4uBhiGA[/video]

I'm tired of the 2 chamber muffler. I'm welding the stocker back on.

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
do all of our trucks have that squished down piece over the axle?on our 5.3 ext i was thinking of putting a stock exhaust off a duramax to see what it sounds like and its bigger for when i have the money to build the motor.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I did not "build" mine personally, but I kinda did using the local shop. My factory muff had a couple small holes and I wanted a bit louder exhaust anyway so I decided to buy a Hooker Aerochamber single in single out muffler, then I got a 3.5 inch 18 inch long angle cut rolled edge tip. I took them to the shop and showed them how I wanted the exhaust to exit and the guy cut off the factory muffler and ditched all the factory piping back from there. He put the Hooker where the factory had been then custom bent a pipe up and over the axle and angled the tip out behind the pass tire at about 45 degrees. He charged me$110 for the bending and mounting and welding it all up. I had about 90ish in the tip and muffler so I have a nice exhaust for about $200. Better than any catback I have heard on the 4.2 and when I smashed the tip wheeling, I bought another and they swapped it in for free. Great customer service!
I could have got a muffler and tip from them, but it would have cost more and not been as nice...they even acknowledged that. You could find a local shop to do the bending and build your own that way. I am happy with my results.

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
hey dan. yes I built my own piece by piece from the manifold back....http://gmtnation.com/f40/my-voys-exhaust-1257/
~ Mike
Dam mike that is sick. sounds sweet tho man. Alright, so these are my questions for you.. lol
1.SO would you say it was worth all the time/ hassle / and investment?
2.would it pass inspection if you had to take it?
3.Do you still have your cat on? or just the muffler?
4.And, did you just use pipe already bent from a store or somewhere?

HARDTRAILZ said:
I did not "build" mine personally, but I kinda did using the local shop. My factory muff had a couple small holes and I wanted a bit louder exhaust anyway so I decided to buy a Hooker Aerochamber single in single out muffler, then I got a 3.5 inch 18 inch long angle cut rolled edge tip. I took them to the shop and showed them how I wanted the exhaust to exit and the guy cut off the factory muffler and ditched all the factory piping back from there. He put the Hooker where the factory had been then custom bent a pipe up and over the axle and angled the tip out behind the pass tire at about 45 degrees. He charged me$110 for the bending and mounting and welding it all up. I had about 90ish in the tip and muffler so I have a nice exhaust for about $200. Better than any catback I have heard on the 4.2 and when I smashed the tip wheeling, I bought another and they swapped it in for free. Great customer service!
I could have got a muffler and tip from them, but it would have cost more and not been as nice...they even acknowledged that. You could find a local shop to do the bending and build your own that way. I am happy with my results.

Thats sweet man.. Sounds like a great deal and a great shop as well. I already have a flowmaster 50 series Muffler on mine(single in/out).. But you know how it is,, it always could be louded :biggrin: So i guess if i were to do my own pipe, do you think it would be that much of a sound difference, or not worth it? im assuming that my flow 50 is similar to your hooker?

-Thanks for all the feedback fellas :thumbsup:

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
fishsticks said:
The I6 exhaust pipe is oversized already. No need to go bigger. Just cut out the flat spot over the axle.
Cut out your stock muffler and weld in a muffler of your choice. Here's my truck with a 2 chamber welded muffler (Like a Flowmaster 40).
Ignore my Camaro. This video was for illustrative purposes. (No, it won't sound like a V8) :biggrin:
I'm tired of the 2 chamber muffler. I'm welding the stocker back on.

So is yours just replaced from the muffler back? And Is there any specific reason your going back to stock?? What muff do you have on now that you dont like?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The factory pipe is already 2.75 and is plenty big for our motor. I doubt changing the pipe would really help anything...maybe more noise but may loose performance if too big. I found that changing the tip actually did change the exhaust sound. I was not going for loud at all, just a good sound and function. I did not like it without a tip really. With the 12 inch 3 inch angle cut it was better, but the 18 inch 3.5 angle with the rolled edge sounds best it has.

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
03TB93 said:
Dam mike that is sick. sounds sweet tho man. Alright, so these are my questions for you.. lol
1.SO would you say it was worth all the time/ hassle / and investment?
2.would it pass inspection if you had to take it?
3.Do you still have your cat on? or just the muffler?
4.And, did you just use pipe already bent from a store or somewhere
-Thanks for all the feedback fellas :thumbsup:

Thanks man. It was a ton of work but
Definitely worth it !!!! (For me)
I passed inspection and i have a highflow greddy cat so i pass emissions. (Then the flowmaster muffler)
i used a few 45* and 90* pre bent pipes for over axel and rear . I used a flex pipe up front from manifold

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Whatdo you guys think would happen if i cut out the cat, and just ran straight pipe? Bad Idea? i know it absolutly wouldnt pass emisions, but maybe after i get the emmision test and than do it.. :undecided:

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
03TB93 said:
Whatdo you guys think would happen if i cut out the cat, and just ran straight pipe? Bad Idea? i know it absolutly wouldnt pass emisions, but maybe after i get the emmision test and than do it.. :undecided:

your engine would like not being restricted as much I bet. My voy threw an o2 code before I did new exhaust because my cat was blocked but idk if you dont have one if any codes will be thrown? :undecided:

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
your engine would like not being restricted as much I bet. My voy threw an o2 code before I did new exhaust because my cat was blocked but idk if you dont have one if any codes will be thrown? :undecided:

Ya thats what im wondering as well.. When you say get a code, is this a light that shows up on your dash or something? (ive never had this happen to me before)
But i agree, hopefully alittle better MPG's and/or Horse power :biggrin: anything helps

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
03TB93 said:
Ya thats what im wondering as well.. When you say get a code, is this a light that shows up on your dash or something? (ive never had this happen to me before)
But i agree, hopefully alittle better MPG's and/or Horse power :biggrin: anything helps

oh my bad yeah an engine light code that was for an o2 oxygen sensor after the catalytic converter. but It could have been just the fact the the cat was falling apart haha. you definitely get more horse power idk about mpg? i didnt really compare before and after but i can say i havent lost any mpg.

Flash12623

Dec 3, 2011
That would be interesting to do to an engine if you can get around the code. I can't think of any way it could hurt unless you use too big of piping of course. If you find the right size pipe you'll definitely gain some horsepower

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Ya i agree. Im gonna try to do this before carlisle i think if i have some extra $$ laying around lol. Either build my own exaust or get my PCM tuned..

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
03TB93 said:
Ya i agree. Im gonna try to do this before carlisle i think if i have some extra $$ laying around lol. Either build my own exaust or get my PCM tuned..

You will get a ton more out of a tune than a custom exhaust... Our stock exhaust are actually good and have some nice 2.75 piping factory.

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
You will get a ton more out of a tune than a custom exhaust... Our stock exhaust are actually good and have some nice 2.75 piping factory.

I agree with that. Probably around the same amount of money too, if not cheaper to get the PCM done. Thanks :thumbsup:

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
My sisters Buick had the cat removed, I Think it runs a little rich now, something changed. Runs a little rougher, but sounds great. But you can tell the exhaust flow changed for the better. I think pcmforless Tune might be able to eliminate that code for you but I might be wrong. They should also be able to help with having it tuned without a cat?? Don't quote me on that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online