Any way to slow oil usage?

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I have a 2004 TB with 160k miles on it. I seem to be going through at least a quart a month of oil, although there are no drips on the garage floor nor is there any obvious smoke while running. I have been running Amsoil (signature series) full synthetic 5w30 since I bought it at 63k miles.

I'm wondering if something like a PTFE treatment would be of any help here (or if it's even compatible with synthetic oil)? I know with my old car that ran dino fluid there were all sorts of treatments to pour in the oil, a few of which actually helped... but with these newer engines I'm just not sure? I don't expect it to completely stop the oil usage, but this amount just seems excessive. And it doesn't help that the oil 'gauge' doesn't even register a problem until I'm four quarts low. So, does anyone have suggestions on oil treatments?

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Losing that much oil, you're wasting your money with amsoil.
There is something that has worked for me in the past. On a trip out of town in a car I noticed it lost half a quart of oil. No clear indication of where it went. I had a bottle of Marvel premium engine oil stop leak so instead of oil I topped it up with that. When I got home I checked again and there was no oil loss. And it stayed that way beyond the next oil change.
Unfortunately the stuff doesn't seem to be available anymore.
It's probably worth trying a stop leak - if you don't see any obvious source of leakage.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My wife's Honda used to burn through synth oil like a drunk at an open bar but switched to dino lube and it's much better (like a drunk drinking kale smoothies).

Try different brands and types. DO NOT USE ADDITIVES. Some have terrible effects on the VVT system, specifically the CPAS getting clogged.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
If you have been getting down 4 quarts and watching the oil gauge ( as you have said) on a regular basis you may be beyond any chance of stopping the bleeding.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I seem to consume less oil by using dino oil vs synthetic oil. Walmart sells it, in 1 qt and bigger sizes.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Just changed the oil after 4500 miles in an old lumina that was running mobil 1 high mileage. It used to have around 1/3 a quart of oil dripping down to the oil pan, but this time very little oil went there.
So it appears that the high mileage oil had some beneficial effect.

16vcabman

May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
You may need a top end treatment. You pull all the plugs, add him top engine cleaner, and wait no more than 2.5 hrs. Disable fuel pump and spark. Crank engine until cleaner is out of cylinders. Change oil, put plugs in, reconnect fuel pump and ignition. The car will start hard and then blow black out of the tail pipe. Cured my consumption.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online