Any Gardeners??

Voymom

Well-Known Member
I was just wondering if anyone else here does any gardening?

I like to grow Asiatic lillies, I am looking forward to a few hybrids this year, as my hybrids last year got ruined. I also have quite the grow in the back yard, summer squash and tomatoes last year, this year I am looking forward to summer squash, lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, peppers(probably Jalapeno), and a few other fruits and veggies. I'm hoping to find a safe, homemade lethal spray for June bugs....they absolutely destroyed my raspberries and blackberries last year, and nothing I used worked long term.

Anyone else garden? Flowers? Fruits? Herbs? :wink:

View attachment 27114

View attachment 27115

View attachment 27116
 

Attachments

Matt

Silver Supporter
I have a veggie garden on the side and back of the garage. On the back, we grow tomatoes and herbs.

On the side I grow 2 variates of Australian pumpkins (squash) - Jarradale and Queensland Blue, although I'm struggling with them. I also grow cucumbers, chillies (thai hot and this year habanero and maybe ghost). I've also grown broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant and cabbage in the past.
 

fletch09

Well-Known Member
my wife is the gardener. I'm just the slave laborer.
we have a 6' x 12' raised bed in the back yard.
usually 4-6 tomato plants, peas, green beans, peppers ( red and green and jalapeno) and cucumbers.
last year in our area was not a good one. hoping this year is better
 

Porkins

Well-Known Member
Yep, We grow alot of different things. I just grow six peach trees from seed, I was like :wootwoot: when they started growing.
 

meerschm

Well-Known Member
too many trees in our yard, and a flock of squirrels and pack of deer would make short work. the deer ate the last batch of flowers we put in the back yard.

we do have a few flowering bushes that look nice in early May.

Here is a lonely daffodil in the front yard. my niece sent Flat Stanley for a visit a few weeks ago

View attachment 27133

Hostas come up around that tree, and the deer like to eat them too.
 

Attachments

mapanch

Well-Known Member
gmcman said:
I can grow the snot out of some crabgrass. :hissyfit:
I kill everything but the damn grass. Wifey planted wildflower seeds for me last year, they died. I killed my mums last year too. I try, but never succeed. My other plants get kidnapped when they start to look sick, wifey'll take em home and bring em back to health - give them back to me til I start to kill em again. Right now, she has my bamboo, palm tree and bonsai.
 

RedEnvoyDenali

Well-Known Member
Voymom said:
I was just wondering if anyone else here does any gardening?

I like to grow Asiatic lillies, I am looking forward to a few hybrids this year, as my hybrids last year got ruined. I also have quite the grow in the back yard, summer squash and tomatoes last year, this year I am looking forward to summer squash, lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, peppers(probably Jalapeno), and a few other fruits and veggies. I'm hoping to find a safe, homemade lethal spray for June bugs....they absolutely destroyed my raspberries and blackberries last year, and nothing I used worked long term.

Anyone else garden? Flowers? Fruits? Herbs? :wink:
Sorry clicked on this by accident. :redface: I too have the deadly black thumb when it comes to gardening. :frown:
 
OP
OP
Voymom

Voymom

Well-Known Member
Black LT said:
My back hurts just thinking about it!!
Potatoes, corn, peas, red beets, green beans, spinach, flowers, ....
What kind of flowers are the purple ones(last picture), they are absolutely stunning!!

Last year was the first "real" veggie garden I have ever had :redface: I helped my dad with a few pepper plants once when I was about 12, and after grinding them up in the house, I was all set lol. Last year we had SO many yellow squash and tomatoes I was handing them out to neighbors.

I'm hoping to have a bit more variety this year, I would LOVE to try my hand at corn, but I'm not sure I have the space for it.

Meerschm- I wish I could get rid of the hosta's that grow in the front, I absolutely hate them, and have tried everything to get rid of them. I'm sure they will be back this year too. :hissyfit:
 

Black LT

Well-Known Member
Voymom said:
What kind of flowers are the purple ones(last picture), they are absolutely stunning!!
Passion flowers. They are kind of wild looking.

Voymom said:
Meerschm- I wish I could get rid of the hosta's that grow in the front, I absolutely hate them, and have tried everything to get rid of them. I'm sure they will be back this year too. :hissyfit:
Sounds like if you import some deer, .....!!!:biggrin:
 
OP
OP
Voymom

Voymom

Well-Known Member
Black LT said:
Sounds like if you import some deer, .....!!!:biggrin:
I'd eat those too...lol :biggrin:
 

meerschm

Well-Known Member
You really have to dig deep to get rid of hostas. they are pretty hard to kill (which is why they grow in my front yard) at least they keep my mower from having to get too close to the trunk of the tree.

on the local deer, the national parks service is in the middle of conducting a nighttime deer harvest across the river in DC in Rock Creek Park.

(they close the road and use spotters, rifles, and night vision goggles. meat is donated to homeless shelters.)
 

meerschm

Well-Known Member
mapanch said:
I kill everything but the damn grass. Wifey planted wildflower seeds for me last year, they died. I killed my mums last year too. I try, but never succeed. My other plants get kidnapped when they start to look sick, wifey'll take em home and bring em back to health - give them back to me til I start to kill em again. Right now, she has my bamboo, palm tree and bonsai.
if you want, you could put some hostas outside if you have some shade, or daylilies. my folks put a shovel full of daylilies (called them tiger lilies) next to the house, in southern Michigan, and they surrounded the place after a few years.
 

Porkins

Well-Known Member
My zombie apocalypse skills are green. Grow 15 peach trees from pit/seed. These are a year old now, about 2-4 feet. The two in buckets are going to a coworker.



 

smt 59

Well-Known Member
I am an avid gardener, I actually spent 4 years at University for this and 22 years in the Parks department, no pics to post as we still have snow cover.
 

Matt

Silver Supporter
Some of my seeds didn't come up...I am disappoint. :mad:
 

Mounce

Well-Known Member
Same here guys. I tried the indoor starting of tomato seeds last year and I did something wrong and everything died. This year I planted seeds straight into the ground. Everything but tomato and cucumbers came up. Had one tomato come up about a month into the season, I figure I planted too early before the ground got warm enough. I ended up buying tomato plants from the store lol
 

Hypnotoad

Well-Known Member
Deer have eaten most of my beans. We usually have a small garden. This year we have carrots, cucumbers, beans(if the deer leave us any), and tomatoes.
 

Mounce

Well-Known Member
I, surprisingly, haven't had any deer bother me. Japanese beetles though... They keep sneaking in. This year is my first year having a decent garden. Tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelons, onions, beans, peas, squash, zucchini, and corn.
 

smt 59

Well-Known Member
Mounce said:
Same here guys. I tried the indoor starting of tomato seeds last year and I did something wrong and everything died. This year I planted seeds straight into the ground. Everything but tomato and cucumbers came up. Had one tomato come up about a month into the season, I figure I planted too early before the ground got warm enough. I ended up buying tomato plants from the store lol
Did you perform the hardening process, inside then out for a short time and increase daily? and did you water to much, this will cause the plant to wilt and die? Planting straight into the ground will work if the soil is warmer in day and as well warm at night. cool soil in the spring does not take vegatable seeds very well.
 

Mounce

Well-Known Member
I think I watered too much. Didn't harden off because they died before the time came. I also heard recently that if you water your seed trays from the top (like I did) you can have issues with some kind of disease that'll kill them.
 

smt 59

Well-Known Member
Yes, its a fungal disease if you water from the top you must have good air flow and lots of sunlight to help prevent this.
 

Mounce

Well-Known Member
Well dang lol. I had them covered with a clear lid to act like greenhouse and had an aquarium grow light over them.
 

smt 59

Well-Known Member
Ya you basically promoted a great environment for fungus lol, you have the right idea you just need to open the lid until the moisture on the top evaporates then close again, when you see condensation on the lid then open slightly for air flow.
 

Mounce

Well-Known Member
Haha well I guess it's just me making a dozen mistakes on my first try. When I saw condensation on the lid, I thought, yeah, reserving the moisture, won't have to water as often! Lol I'll definitely do more research next year.

On another note, this Alabama heat sure has stunted my tomatoes, although I've already picked 20 or more already this year. Bought a cherry tomato pant a month or so ago and it's growing like a weed! Picked a sucker off of it and have it sitting in a glass of water at the moment growing roots then soon I'm gonna plant it inside and have a go at indoor tomato growing :yes: pretty excited about that!
 

Online statistics

Members online
1
Guests online
180
Total visitors
181

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
19,800
Messages
585,391
Unanswered questions
2
Answered questions
1
Members
12,558
Latest member
Nate Saxby
Top Bottom