Any experiences/comments with oil pan drain valves?

Bad Bowtie

Original poster
May 15, 2013
I was thinking of getting one of these (see pic below). Anyone have any positive or negative things to say about oil pan drain valves? I've never used one before and don't really know if there's any negatives of installing one vs. just taking the drain pan bolt off each time. Thanks for any comments.

Attachments

• drain valve.jpg
    drain valve.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 92

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I dont know I see it as an addition of a failure point to save 2 minutes .....ya know?

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
I dont know I see it as an addition of a failure point to save 2 minutes .....ya know?

:iagree: Especially for something you only do twice a year.

I can think of a few scenarios (e.g. draining HOT oil, strong winds) that would make this useful, but the risk/benefit doesn't seem worth it IMHO.

Dec 4, 2011
I have used the Fram Sure Drain for several years on all of my vehicles and given some as gifts to son and son-in-law. They work well, you can drain without tools and no issues at all with respect to leaking. And yes I only change oil once a year (Amsoil and filter), but it is nice to get in and get out quickly.

The only problem is that Fram discontinued them. The last one I got was on Ebay. This the only thing Fram makes that I would buy, but they do work. Haven't tried the one you show so couldn't comment on how it works.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
A drain valve doesn't sound like a bad idea until you look at where the drain plug is. It's basically at the lowest point under the engine. Which would mean the shield would need to come off. On top of that you are just asking to hit something underneath and ripping it off. Just not a good idea to add any type of extension under there. Another reason to not get a drain valve is to facilitate a quick evacuation of the oil. The oil stream will help rid of any solids on the bottom of the oil pan better.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
these are only needed on vehicles that tend to have issued with the drain plugs stripping or other issues related to repeated removal. I wouldn't want one on a TB hanging underneath just waiting to be banged into by some random road trash or animal. The convenience just isn't worth the inconvenience of it. depending on how far it turns in, it may also prevent the very bottom sludge from draining by creating a lip inside the pan.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Grimor said:
these are only needed on vehicles that tend to have issued with the drain plugs stripping or other issues related to repeated removal. I wouldn't want one on a TB hanging underneath just waiting to be banged into by some random road trash or animal. The convenience just isn't worth the inconvenience of it. depending on how far it turns in, it may also prevent the very bottom sludge from draining by creating a lip inside the pan.

:confused: Hmm. Sounds a lot like what I said. What you could have done is :iagree:

Jan 2, 2012
Hmmm... hot oil not so fun. Hot filter, covered in oil next to header even less fun. Quick disconnect filter, nowwww we got something!:thumbsup:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Grimor said:
I agree that I could of agreed, but I like my answer

Your answer was the same as mine. Almost word for word. So I wouldn't like it if I was you. I think you owe me an apology for plagiarizing. lol Ah, whatever no biggie.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
xx_gearhead_xx said:
Quick disconnect filter, nowwww we got something!:thumbsup:

Nah. That would be messy. All that oil coming down on top of you at once. If the filter was upside down and it had a positive shutoff then that could be a possibility.

The Ecotec engines have the oil filter on top of the engine and you just replace the element and not a canister. That's something kind of neat.

Jan 2, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Nah. That would be messy. All that oil coming down on top of you at once. ....

I should have specified. When I think quick disconnect, I think hydraulic lines like on an aircraft. You pop the collar loose, the valve shuts, pull off the hose and you loose no fluid. :thumbsup:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
xx_gearhead_xx said:
I should have specified. When I think quick disconnect, I think hydraulic lines like on an aircraft.

Aircraft don't use quick disconnects for hydraulic lines. The pressures reach 4000-6000 psi. But the UARRSI fuel receptacle is similar in military aircraft.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Aircraft don't use quick disconnects for hydraulic lines. The pressures reach 4000-6000 psi. But the UARRSI fuel receptacle is similar in military aircraft.

I spent six weeks building hydraulic manifolds for aircraft and I can tell you that they certainly do use quick disconnects.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
AtlWrk said:
I spent six weeks building hydraulic manifolds for aircraft and I can tell you that they certainly do use quick disconnects.

Hmm. Never seen one in all my years working on military aircraft.

There are quick connects for external power carts but not for connecting the lines to actuators and accumulators.

Bad Bowtie

Original poster
May 15, 2013
CaptainXL said:
...The Ecotec engines have the oil filter on top of the engine and you just replace the element and not a canister. That's something kind of neat.

I just sold my 2004 cavalier with the 2.2L ecotec to get this TB. Those oil changes in the ecotec were a snap due to how the filter was orientated.

Thanks for everyones input! I did consider that it might be dumb to add it on if I only change the oil twice a year but my main concern would be to have it protruding down with the possibility of something hitting it, as well as failure of the part while driving. I don't think I'll end up getting one because of those reasons.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Not something I would want catching rocks under there.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
Bad Bowtie said:
I just sold my 2004 cavalier with the 2.2L ecotec to get this TB. Those oil changes in the ecotec were a snap due to how the filter was orientated.

Thanks for everyones input! I did consider that it might be dumb to add it on if I only change the oil twice a year but my main concern would be to have it protruding down with the possibility of something hitting it, as well as failure of the part while driving. I don't think I'll end up getting one because of those reasons.

My 05 Cavalier died so I bought the TB.... weird

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-1113/overview/

Spectre Performance 5971 Easy Access Oil Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

you could get one of these to move the filter someplace. not sure where, but might catch some of the mess associated with the filter change.

(me, I like a little oily slop at the bottom of my engine compartment)

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=26163

this would be better, plug moves to the end of the hose. kind of like the one I had on my Cub Cadette lawn tractor.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
I have plans to add one of these to my boat engine (GM V6) next time I do an oil change. It's tough to get at the bolt, and I can't get a catch pan under the engine as there's a hull in the way. With this I can add a tube out the bilge drain right to my catch pan. I figure it will make my life way easier! Of course, there's no danger of ripping it off with a rock or curb inside the boat, so I can't comment on that.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Pela Oil Extractors - How to Change Your Oil the Easy Way

you could use one of these too.

many folks swear by these for topside oil change. sucks out through the indicator tube (dipstick hole) less of an advantage for the TB bottom of engine filter. Not even sure if it would really work for the TB, but might be just the thing for your boat.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I run this Fujimoto QWIK valve on my TB and my sports car. I have never had it hit anything . My car sits about 3 inches off the ground. I gave one to my dad as a gift for his Jeep. Makes changing the oil a snap. Gone are the days of searching for the drain plug in the pan.

- - - Updated - - -

I run this Fujimoto QWIK valve on my TB and my sports car. I have never had it hit anything . My car sits about 3 inches off the ground. I gave one to my dad as a gift for his Jeep. Makes changing the oil a snap. Gone are the days of searching for the drain plug in the pan.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.