Another TBSS knock

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
This one is pretty loud sounds pretty "pingy" metal on metal kind of, really i think the best way to describe the exact sound its sounds like sparking from a jumper cable..MUCH LOUDER very weird . Sound is right at the valvetrain from what I can hear over the fan. I noticed a sound on the way to work but once i hit temp it was non existent but now shes in full effect here

[video=youtube;-laDlzi8X1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-laDlzi8X1c&context=C47ce90dADvjVQa1PpcFN7huJKwxzsuFa5U-dgtnC-ngHdmdqW_O4=[/video]

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
That sounds more like a ticking noise than a knock to me anyways. Kind of sounds like my fan clutch which has a rythmic ticking...

Sorry i'm no help, but hopefully you can find the issue and it's not to severe. But the only thing I can think of aside from the fan would be the idler arm??

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea thats definetly not the knock/slap i was getting in mine... it sure does sound like electric sparks/arching, like when you static shock someone and you hear the "pop" when you shock them...and its happening at idle? i had to rev mine up to get the knock to happen... see what you get for trying to convince me to keep mine :raspberry:

but in all seriousness.. this is why we bought the warrantys for... hopefully you can get it figured out man...

edit: well listening to it again.. i can sort of hear it being a slap/knock.. tough to tell over a video just like mine was tough to tell over a vid

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Just got off the phone with Jham and while on the phone after about 3 minutes at operating temp, the sound disappears.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Lifters?

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I called my friend with the LS6 Camaro he is betting lifters, He has yet to watch the video But I trust his judgement hes been inside these engines more than anybody I know he said stockers ar Sh*t

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
I called my friend with the LS6 Camaro he is betting lifters, He has yet to watch the video But I trust his judgement hes been inside these engines more than anybody I know he said stockers ar Sh*t

That would be my guess since it stops once it reaches temp. But hell what do I know I'm a woman :biggrin:

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Text From My Dad
"to bad my tools only work on fords, shouldnt of bought a chevy"
:rotfl: thats our father son relationship

and vmom thats right what do you know you are probably drunk again.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Voymom said:
That would be my guess since it stops once it reaches temp. But hell what do I know I'm a woman :biggrin:

Better watch it roadies gonna sick his wife on you remember what she said to you before:biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If it goes away as it warms up I'd bet lifters too. The video makes it sound really weird tho.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
Text From My Dad
"to bad my tools only work on fords, shouldnt of bought a chevy"
:rotfl: thats our father son relationship

and vmom thats right what do you know you are probably drunk again.

I'm not drunk, I didn't even finish the 6 pack I was working on earlier. Plus I'm on call and can't drink. So there :tongue:

ghenny440 said:
Better watch it roadies gonna sick his wife on you remember what she said to you before:biggrin:

Roadies wife said something to me? I don't recall that. :undecided:

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Oops i read to many posts earlier i am sorry t was onesmartcookie i read the post about, lmfao boy does my foot taste horrible:banghead:

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I guess it would be considered a semi cold start since it was run within hours...Quiet as a damn mouse, we will see what happens overnight

STLCamaroLS6

Apr 3, 2012
Sounds like a coil misfire for sure. I remember popping 2 MSD coils on my Holley EFI setup and the sounded exactly like that when they wouldnt fire.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online