Another Rough Idle..

JaySun

Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
So I have a similar problem to the thread below me where when I added gas last it started idling very hard RPMs would drop then rise drop then rise and after 3 mins or so even out, then it happened about 2 trips later after a wipedown while in reverse rpms just went down then up down then up, I noticed the check engine light was on so I checked the code at a local advance auto parts and it came out to be P0496 - Evaporative Emissions System High Purge Flow.

:eek: Okay, so my questions,

1. Is this related to the problem I've been having?
2. How would I go about fixing this?
and the big one
3. How much is it going to cost *gulp*?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
A quick search on Google with the term trailblazer and P0496 comes up with replacing the canister vent solenoid that is located next to the motor on the driver's side. But this may not be the final solution, it just looks likely.

JaySun

Original poster
Feb 25, 2013

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
JaySun said:
I wonder if its the canister vent solenoid or the purge solenoid valve... although I wonder would either cause that problem? (the rough idling), If not what problems would it cause?

You may have a vacum leak at or near the canister.....dunno. Do you have access to a vacuum gauge? Do you hear any hissing?

JaySun

Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
gmcman said:
You may have a vacum leak at or near the canister.....dunno. Do you have access to a vacuum gauge? Do you hear any hissing?

I don't have access to a vacuum gauge and no, no obvious hissing noises as if there was a leak

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
JaySun said:
I don't have access to a vacuum gauge

That's a tough position to be in. Anyone who works on cars themselves should have a vacuum gauge. My advice is to get one. Along with a Haynes manual. Each of those is $15 :smile:

Either that or have a competent shop do the work for you. I hate to see people spending money needlessly by just replacing parts nilly willy until it's fixed.

JaySun

Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
I have no problem taking it to a more qualified mech. but I like to know what's wrong so I don't get told something completely off-the-wall and pay way more than I should. So today I got home and smelled a burning smell I look under the TB and of all things oil leaking everywhere, luckily it's still covered by a warranty so it'll be going in today.

Not looking forward to this :no:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
JaySun said:
...pay ...warranty ...
One of these words doesn't belong with the other. What sort of lame warranty do you have? :confused:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
JaySun said:
So today I got home and smelled a burning smell I look under the TB and of all things oil leaking everywhere, luckily it's still covered by a warranty so it'll be going in today.

Hopefully you won't be going anywhere in that vehicle. If you have a serious oil leak it could spell doom for your engine. If you really have a powertrain warranty then call a tow service and have em deliver it to the shop on a flatbed. Just too risky.

JaySun

Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
the roadie said:
One of these words doesn't belong with the other. What sort of lame warranty do you have? :confused:

I agree, it's an engine/transmission warranty only anything outside of a direct issue with one of the two and they pretty much tell you it's your problem (sometimes they tell you that anyway) the last time I gave them my truck they replaced a window motor for me since it wasn't working when I got it but they SCREWED IN the door panel because they didn't have clips...it doesn't give me much faith in their abilities...it's from a buy-here pay-here lot and it's 3-month 3k miles.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online