Another HID light thread...

silversho

Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Just a heads up for those of you that are contemplating HID headlights. I put my HID kits in, nothing turned on low beams, high beams worked. After having a beer and trying switching around wires, I consulted the guy I bought them from. He said check the polarity at the factory connector to the HID kit. I unplugged it, swapped it around, and VOILA!! headlights worked. :bonk:

Just thought I would post this for those of you that get easily frustrated when things don't work right away (like myself)....

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
silversho said:
Just a heads up for those of you that are contemplating HID headlights. I put my HID kits in, nothing turned on low beams, high beams worked. After having a beer and trying switching around wires, I consulted the guy I bought them from. He said check the polarity at the factory connector to the HID kit. I unplugged it, swapped it around, and VOILA!! headlights worked. :bonk:

Just thought I would post this for those of you that get easily frustrated when things don't work right away (like myself)....

I did the same thing, thought I blew a fuse or something (only reason I could think of all 4 not working). Swapped the harness around and bam, night turned to day.

MedicatedMike

Feb 24, 2012
where did you get your kits from blazinlow? How long you had them? Will be getting into this soon enough myself.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
MedicatedMike said:
where did you get your kits from blazinlow? How long you had them? Will be getting into this soon enough myself.

I personally have DDMtuning

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I got them off amazon, company called Kensun. Think I have had them since the end of January. So far I am pleased. I did some searching and they had the best reviews for customer service (from the places I searched). I paid like $60 a set 6000k.

I really have nothing to compare them too first set I ever bought, overall I would order from them again.

silversho

Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
I got the kit off ebay for like $40, thought that maybe I made a mistake and got junk...so far so good. Got to wire up the quads next, using silverstar ultras for the highs. Looks good so far!!

Also did the DRL killer from tblazed..that took no time to hook up.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
DRL killer :thumbsup:

I used the relay method at the BCM. Took all of 10 minutes, works perfect. Does DRL kill and Quads at the same time. I did lose my auto headlights though, which really is no big deal. I might need to buy a radio harness with a chime to remind me that I left them on, I have left them on before, but usually catch it before I pass the front of the truck.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i agree with Sam... the two biggest companies we use for HID's are DDM and VVME...

Ive had VVME in my lows and fogs for well over a year and a half now with zero issues... and with VVME, there wont be a polarity issues as there is only one way you can hook them up (the connecctions have guided tabs that will only allow you to plug them in one way)

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
silversho said:
I got the kit off ebay for like $40, thought that maybe I made a mistake and got junk...so far so good. Got to wire up the quads next, using silverstar ultras for the highs. Looks good so far!!

Also did the DRL killer from tblazed..that took no time to hook up.

Where did you get your silvestars at and how many watts are they? I want brighter high beams but do not want HID's for those so I am kind of stuck at doing silverstars

Boricua SS said:
i agree with Sam... the two biggest companies we use for HID's are DDM and VVME...

Ive had VVME in my lows and fogs for well over a year and a half now with zero issues... and with VVME, there wont be a polarity issues as there is only one way you can hook them up (the connecctions have guided tabs that will only allow you to plug them in one way)

Yeah I had my DDM kit since August 2010 and no problems till now! Just take care of the DRL's and you wont have a problem! Mine also has the guided tabs to help plug them in right! Those two brands are the best IMO. Seems like a lot of the other brands I have read about problems with them people of people installing them or there product going bad quick etc.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I will be ordering my set from DDM after some wonderful help from Sam and others on the site :biggrin: I am also going with 6000k

Thanks again Sam!! :thumbsup:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Like I said I have not regrets. If in 6 months I am in here cussing about them being crap, then I expect the finger pointing and "I told you so" remarks. I will be highly disappointed if I recieve none of the above :tongue:

I do have a 2 year warranty so I guess I can see how well it is, if and when they do go DDM will likely be my first choice.

I am also going with 6000k

:thumbsup:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
I will be ordering my set from DDM after some wonderful help from Sam and others on the site :biggrin: I am also going with 6000k

Thanks again Sam!! :thumbsup:

You got it :thumbsup: Glad I can be a help!! :biggrin:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Just another vote for VVME, I've had them in the TB for 3 years, and in my Taurus for 1 year. Also, I have Silverstar Ultra high beams, got them on Amazon when Sylvania changed packaging and they were on clearance. They are factory wattage, and i recommend you stay that way, high wattage will burn the harness

silversho

Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
:iagree: I agree with that, got my silverstar ultras on ebay for $29!!! Locally they were $52, heck of a deal!! I also stayed with factory wattage, they are bright enough the way it is. Just shop around, and you'll get a deal eventually.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I also recommend the quad beam mod, so your lows stay on when the highs are on, prevents any warm up issues when you switch back and forth, also a ton of light on high beam.

I've always wanted to try HIR bulbs for my high beams, but I've never seen anyone that actually has them

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
What are the wattage on those silverstars? I know to stay in factory watts, our factory for high beams are what? 65 watts right? That is what I want for my high beams is 65 watts :yes:

I think I have quad beams, When I pull the lever at me then all the lights are on and keep the lows on, when I push it forward then the lows go off and the highs on and keep them on till I flick it back? I am assuming I dont right?

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
What are the wattage on those silverstars? I know to stay in factory watts, our factory for high beams are what? 65 watts right? That is what I want for my high beams is 65 watts :yes:

I think I have quad beams, When I pull the lever at me then all the lights are on and keep the lows on, when I push it forward then the lows go off and the highs on and keep them on till I flick it back? I am assuming I dont right?

The Silverstar Ultra are 65W. I have had both normal and Ultra, Ultra seems to last a lot longer in my experience.

When you pull the lever towards you, that's "Flash to Pass", when you push it forward thats high beam. You can mod the high beams so when you push the lever forward, the highs come on and the lows stay on as well. I highly recommend this for anyone who has HID low beams

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
The quad beam mod would basically allow the circuit to act as if you are pulling the stalk toward you. So that when you push it the lows stay on, and the highs would come on. When you pull it back to normal the highs will turn off, leaving the lows on. This would keep you from needing a warm up when switching between the highs and lows.

There a few different methods, I use the relay method and tapped into 2 wires at the bcm. I did lose my auto headlight feature, but the running lights are still auto.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I will look into this and get it done once warmer outside. Now I do not like to play with wires in the truck so what would be the easier way I guess since blazinlow89 says there are a couple of ways. A way where I do not need to cut or anything!

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
The relay mod does both the quad,s and the DRL killer at the same time. It is actually very simple, took all of maybe 10 min for me to do.

I know you can also swap 2 of the wires at the harness under the steering column, no cutting involved.

I am not 100% sure of other methods, but I am sure someone else will chime in.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
The relay mod does both the quad,s and the DRL killer at the same time. It is actually very simple, took all of maybe 10 min for me to do.

I know you can also swap 2 of the wires at the harness under the steering column, no cutting involved.

I am not 100% sure of other methods, but I am sure someone else will chime in.

ahh okay got it!! I am going to do that once I get better high beams!! :yes: I would do a DRL killer but I am not touching any wires without someone that knows how to do it well is by me to help lol that's just my :twocents:

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
:wootwoot: Just ordered 5000k lows and fogs from VVME!! Can't wait! :wootwoot:
Gonna do the cap mod so i can keep my DRL and auto on.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:

Nice, you'll love them. I definitely recommend the you look into the mod to allow you lows and fogs to stay on with your highs as well. On a back road at night, having lows, highs, and fogs on together would be great. I don't have fogs, but just the lows and highs together are great, even with Halogen Highs

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. What's the shipping cost? Better deal from VVME direct or thru eBay? Gonna wait until Spring or when the Silverstars Ultra blows.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I bought them on eBay from "mydepots" which based on the emails is their eBay user name. You can purchase two sets and then in the PayPal comments to the seller I listed the bulb types and temperature. $8 combined shipping in Canada. I wanted DDMtuning but they have to charge over $50 dollars for Canadian shipping.

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
I bought them on eBay from "mydepots" which based on the emails is their eBay user name. You can purchase two sets and then in the PayPal comments to the seller I listed the bulb types and temperature. $8 combined shipping in Canada. I wanted DDMtuning but they have to charge over $50 dollars for Canadian shipping.

:thankyou: I've got "mydepots" on my watch list already. I'm thinking of getting 6000K for the lows. Still undecided on the fogs. Can you take some photos during the install as well as a before/after?

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Not a problem, had planned to anyway :smile: Just have to wait for a nice day and find a piece of ground with no snow :-(

Canadian Mike said:
:thankyou: I've got "mydepots" on my watch list already. I'm thinking of getting 6000K for the lows. Still undecided on the fogs. Can you take some photos during the install as well as a before/after?

What are you thinking about for the fogs? I was gonna go with 3000k yellow, I really like that look. I went with all 5000k because I'm going for better/more light over looks. I like a blue tint but that comes with lower lumens.

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
Not a problem, had planned to anyway :smile: Just have to wait for a nice day and find a piece of ground with no snow :-(

What are you thinking about for the fogs? I was gonna go with 3000k yellow, I really like that look. I went with all 5000k because I'm going for better/more light over looks. I like a blue tint but that comes with lower lumens.

I'm not sure if I'm even gonna do the fogs. Still trying to get the procedure of HID installation, Cap Mod, DRL Killer, while maintaining auto-lights & perimeter lighting, thru a thick substance! :crazy:

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I'm going with the cap mod just to get started, keeps all functionality and won't kill your ballast. After that I'll look at quads, etc.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Canadian Mike said:
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. What's the shipping cost? Better deal from VVME direct or thru eBay? Gonna wait until Spring or when the Silverstars Ultra blows.

its better to deal with VVME through Ebay...

NewfieEnvoy said:

there are 3 main sellers we have all purchased from in the past... sinomedia, mydepots, and prettyseller

Canadian Mike said:
I'm not sure if I'm even gonna do the fogs. Still trying to get the procedure of HID installation, Cap Mod, DRL Killer, while maintaining auto-lights & perimeter lighting, thru a thick substance! :crazy:

good luck finding something for that.. we have all been after that... the only thing i suffered/lost was my front perimeter lighting.. i still have auto headlights, and rear perimeter lighting.. all i did was a DRL Killer..

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
YEAH!!! :wootwoot: A box just showed up from VVME with my new HID lows and fogs. The boxes have the absolute piss pounded out of them but the kits look to be intact and undamaged. Now I just need to find the time to install them.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
The before and after.
Trying to attach a picture via tapatalk so not sure if this will work.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332459023.489094.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332459023.489094.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 10

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
pic worked... can definetly see a difference...

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Lows and fogs are complete and I'm in love! Super bright and love the color, pure white with no blue that I can see. All VVME 5000k. Only one problem.......... now I need the highs :smile:

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I took some before pics, and if it's clear out tomorrow night I'll grab a couple of the new HID's for a comparison shot.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
Lows and fogs are complete and I'm in love! Super bright and love the color, pure white with no blue that I can see. All VVME 5000k. Only one problem.......... now I need the highs :smile:

I personally would not recommend HID's for highs. Just because of the warm up time and all

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I ordered hid's both highs and lows. 6000 for lows 10000 for highs. Installing this weekend. Can't wait!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chappymate

Members Online

No members online now.