An explanation about HID (a beginners guide)

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So for those of you out there, that are thinking about going with the HID's, and are curious about why some people talk about the DRL Killers, DRL Capacitor Mod, Quad Headlights, 6lights, and Warm up times. Well here is a small explanation. Read on...

Firstly, you almost have to do some sort of DRL (day time running lights) modification. The reason being is that the power being fed to the DRL's is only at about 70% duty capacity, and also a pulsed signal. This can short out relays, and balasts, and give you a short lifespan of these parts, if they work at all. They didnt when I installed the HID's on my Envoy. Not until I installed the capacitor, which is explained next....

I personally recomend the DRL Capacitor mod. It keeps your perimeter lighting, front and rear, without affecting much of anything else.

DRL Capacitor Mod Link

There are also DRL killers sold by a couple of the site sponsors, as well as do it yourself guides in a couple areas of the forums. The Search function is your friend!!

Next we are onto the Quad/Six headlight mods.

Start with this short video.

Now if you watch the lights, you will see that they slowly get brighter, and brighter. The process takes about 5-10 secs.

This is the reason that the Quad/Six Head lights are strongly recomended. When you switch to High Beams, it turns off the low beams. Then when you switch back to low beams, they have to power back up, and warm up. So you will be running at about 40% Lumens, which will gradually increase, until you are back at 100%.

With the Quad Headlights, or even the 6way lights MOD. The low beams turn STAY on. Staying at 100% useable light.

Quad Headlights Link

There is a 6 light mod also on the forums, a quick search will help you find it. Now in that "How To", you will see them talking about remembering to flip your headlights back to low beam when you shut the truck off. The reason being is that when you park the truck with your high beams on, this will make the high beams stay on until your battery dies. And we dont want that!

Also, you will probably see some talk about relays. What this is in regards to is the power feed to the Balasts. If you use the current headlight power feeds for power to the Ballasts, there is a question on whether or not it is 100% clear, and clean power. The relay kit powers the ballasts off the battery itself, which will give you the cleanest power you can get off this truck. Its very easy to install, and for a couple bucks, its peace of mind.

Hope this helps you in understanding what we are talking about.

My personal opinion in regards to the HID Bulbs themselves. I bought the 6000Kit. If I had to do it over, I would probly buy the 5000 kit. I love the color of the 6000, but I was hoping for just a bit more light. The higher the x000 number, the lower the lumen, and the less you will be able to see.

I bought my HID Kit from ebay. A couple of the forum members recomend VVME, and thats who I bought mine from, but thru its EBAY counterpart. Its about 30+ bucks cheaper this way. They ship directly from Bejing China, and from the time you order, it takes 3-4 days MAX.

Ebay Link

As we migrate diferent items from the OS, I will update for the links that still take you to the OS..
If one of the mods wants to turn this into an article/stickey/whatever, its ok by me.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I also am looking to see if a couple users from the old forum made it to this site..

If the following members made it to this site, I would like your permission to move your threads here, to better serve our comunity

BigApple, If you made the migration, can I have permission to copy this post..
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=64575
And bring it to this site

If anyone knows who made the post originally for the following..
Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum
I am looking to get their permission as well.

The rest of the above article is mine.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Also, for the mods, I will be replacing my battery in the next month, when i do that, I will get pictures to add to the original post for a install, including relay, for HID's.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Maybe one of the mods can merge this with the HID sticky thread :undecided:

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
I'm into a mostly plug n pray solution.
I'm also into keeping ALL of the OEM functions operational.

I've just ordered the following from v-leds.com

9006_DRL_MODULE - Plugs in between the factory low beam harness and the relay kit. This is the cap mod, but PNP for $10. You only need one of these.
HID_HARNESS - A no muss no fuss, Plug N Play relay kit. You only need one of these.

That leaves only the 4-hi or 6-hi mod left.
Unfortunately, I havn't found a nice simple PNP solution.
I've boiled it down to two possible solutions.

1). Flipping the pin. - I'm not keen on the 'flipping the pin' method because of the lack of auto-shut off.
2) Solder in a diode. - I'm personally familiar with this method as I've done it to several of my previous vehicles. This is most likely how I will proceed.

My :twocents:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I missed your request. You may use any info you deem relavant. If you were considering using my short video above, the link moved (to remove it from the OS)..

Mods... Where is the edit post button so I can fix it in this thread?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
TollKeeper said:
Also, for the mods, I will be replacing my battery in the next month, when i do that, I will get pictures to add to the original post for a install, including relay, for HID's.

Never made it to next month, took out my alternator and battery. Tow truck, and warrenty took care of the rest...

Tollkeeper,

I got HID fogs from HIDnation.com. I waited to get my HID lows, because I know that a DRL mod needs to be done before I install them.

However HIDnation has this hidrelay that makes them run at 100%.

My question is this: Do I need to do any mods to the DRL if I install the above relay? if I do, then I will do the mods before I get the HID's.

Thanks for the write up and trying to make the picture clearer for the user that is not so certain.

Steve

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If I am reading the explantion correctly, that is correct. But I dont see a metered relay, so I am not sure how they are doing it.

I dont know much about that system to be honest, maybe one of the other users that bought the simalar product from the old site vendors can chime in.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Steve A said:
Tollkeeper,

I got HID fogs from HIDnation.com. I waited to get my HID lows, because I know that a DRL mod needs to be done before I install them.

However HIDnation has this hidrelay that makes them run at 100%.

My question is this: Do I need to do any mods to the DRL if I install the above relay? if I do, then I will do the mods before I get the HID's.

Thanks for the write up and trying to make the picture clearer for the user that is not so certain.

Steve

TollKeeper said:
If I am reading the explantion correctly, that is correct. But I dont see a metered relay, so I am not sure how they are doing it.

I dont know much about that system to be honest, maybe one of the other users that bought the simalar product from the old site vendors can chime in.

Yeah, looking at the picture they posted (and without some further details) their relay looks like all the other relay harnesses that we use. Unless there's a capacitor in there somewhere to deal with the pulsed signal of our DRLs, you may hear a buzzing noise from the relay, as the armature inside it flickers on/off/on/off with the DRL signal. Then again, if the sensitivity is low enough, it may not react that fast. Without more specs, it's hard to say. :undecided:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online