Alternator Need Upgrading?

02Olds

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Hey guys.

I've been upgrading my audio slowly over time, but I'm not sure if my next upgrade that I do will be too much for the alternator.

My plan is to be running:

Hifonics ZRX1000.4 (125 watt RMS x 4 Chanel at 4 ohms)
Powering:
2 Alpine SPR-50 5-1/4 inch Speakers (4 ohms and 90 watts RMS each) REAR
2 Alpine SPR-60 6-1/4 inch Speakers (4 ohms and 100 watts RMS each) FRONT

Hifonics ZRX1500.1D (500 watt RMS x 1 Chanel at 4 ohms)
Powering:
1 Alpine SPS-12D2 (500 watts RMS at 4 ohms)

Boss D500.2 (200 watts RMS x 2 Chanel at 4 ohms)
Powering:
2 Alpine SPR-50C (4 ohms and 100 watts RMS each)

And along with that, keeping the Bose tweeters in the dash which are still running off the stock Bose amp. I like the sound of them. They can stay.

The sub and components will be in a box I'm making for the back. I want to be able to open up my car from the rear when I set up at a bike spot and have crystal clear music emanating towards my general direction.

Also, if it has any bearing on it, which I don't believe it does, I have HID's in my lows and fogs. The lows have a relay linked directly to the battery.

Now, I've been told that the alternator on our cars can handle a maximum load at 14+ volts of 2,000 watts, including power consumed by the vehicle itself. The total amount of watts RMS my system will be added up, is 1080 watts, plus whatever the Bose tweeters use. I have no idea what their power rating is though.

Will the alternator need to be replaced to keep up with this?

Thank you! Sorry for the read, but reading is good for you anyway :raspberry:

02Olds

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
02Olds said:
Now, I've been told that the alternator on our cars can handle a maximum load at 14+ volts of 2,000 watts, including power consumed by the vehicle itself.

It wishes it could!:biggrin:

Seems that most of the charging system complaints (related to audio) come from folks running over 1,200 watts to the woofers.

Sorry for the read, but reading is good for you anyway

:rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online