Amazon Product "ALL Solutions... Breed NEW Problems..."

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
NOTE: For the sake of Brevity... I'm excluding my usual "Proof of Purchases" imagery I ordinarily insist upon including. Trust that the following "Purchase Cascade" below appear in the order that these Amazon Links and Descriptions were made and are all Genuine Buys:

Aluf Plastics - PG6-9560 Heavy Duty 95 - 96 Gallon Trash Can Liners - (Huge 50 Pack) - 2.0 MIL Thick Garbage Bags,Blac

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DH4DYYU/?tag=gmtnation-20

Blink Outdoor - wireless, weather-resistant HD security camera, two-year battery life, motion detection, set up in minutes – 2 camera kit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086DL32R3/?tag=gmtnation-20

sanDisk 256GB Ultra Flair USB 3.0 Flash Drive - SDCZ73-256G-G46

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XG9XP49/?tag=gmtnation-20

All-New Blink Outdoor Camera Wall Mount, 360° Adjustable Mount and Weather Proof Protective Housing with Blink Sync Module Outlet Mount for Blink Outdoor Security Camera System (Black, 5 Pack)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089734Y3N/?tag=gmtnation-20

Outlet Wall Mount for Blink Sync Module 2, Mount Bracket Holder for Blink Outdoor Camera No Messy Wires Outdoor and Indoor Home Security Camera Mount with Short Cable (1 Pack)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J3XK62C/?tag=gmtnation-20

Gutter Mount for All-New Blink Outdoor & Blink XT / XT2 Camera, Adjustable Weatherproof Aluminum Alloy Mount Bracket for Blink Home Security System (2 Pack, Black)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R4JGGXX/?tag=gmtnation-20

Jennov Camera Pole Mount Brackets with 200mm Loops,Universal Vertical Pole Mount Wall Mounting Loop Bracket for IP/CCTV Security Camera Outdoor Wireless Video Surveillance Cameras PTZ Dome(1Pack)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0949BYFHC/?tag=gmtnation-20

Uogw 3 Pack Flexible Tripod for Blink XT,Blink XT2,Blink Mini,All-New Blink Outdoor,Wall Mount Bracket,Attach Your Blink Home Security Camera Everywhere - Black

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZF2QLSG/?tag=gmtnation-20

Blink Silicone Camera Skin for Indoor and Outdoor – Black

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B45SGX2/?tag=gmtnation-20

304 Stainless Steel Hose Clamp Assortment Kit DIY, Cut-To-Fit 35 FT Metal Strap + 16 Stronger Fasteners, Large Adjustable Worm Gear Hose Clamps Screw Clamps Duct Pipe Metal Clamp Strapping

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y6LKW5F/?tag=gmtnation-20

TP-Link AX6600 Tri-Band WiFi 6 Router (Archer AX90)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TGPTQ14/?tag=gmtnation-20

"All Solutions... Breed New Problems..."

Back on January 1st, 2023 ...and owing to the Late Fall arrival of an ENORMOUS amount of Pin Oak Leaves cluttering my front yard, I decided to take advantage of my Dual 96 Gallon Covered Trash Bins and order some 96 Gallon Trash Bags. You should know that with unfortunate regularity, my Wife is always nagging about, "Honey...have you checked the Front Step and the Chair for any Late Deliveries from Amazon..?" Of course, my response has ALWAYS been... "Baby Sweet... What are you worried about? NOBODY IS EVER GOING TO WALK RIGHT UP TO OUR FRONT DOOR... AND STEAL ANYTHING..."

Hmmm... Well, oddly enough, and so it was that around January 10th, a Late Amazon arrival (just past Dusk) was actually in the process of going down as I listened to the UPS Big Brown Truck Engine Roaring off in the distance. So as usual, I was adjusting my Old A** more comfortably on the Couch in anticipation of watching something or other on YouTube... when I heard unusual and furtive noises passing through the curtains covering my Bay Window!

I heard a commotion of Giggling and Foot Falls as I leaped(?) to my feet, grabbed my Cane and cranked on the Squeaky Door Lock to see whatever was amiss. I could hear the "Suspects" involved in the Theft of My packages heading Westbound like Bullets, well away from my abode and as I walked further out into the yard... I could SEE two "Getaway Vehicles" ... as this 'Genius Criminal Pair' had left their Bicycles laying right in the open roadway with heavy night time traffic bearing down on them.

So I snatched up these "Two Juvenile Delinquent sized-bikes" and brought them up into my yard... long enough to take some images with my Sony Digital Camera and memorialize their appearance for later investigative purpose. I then laid those bikes (undamaged, mind you) back down onto the 'Grassy Knoll" so that the Two Young Perps would make an attempt to retrieve them. It turned out that they had positioned themselves close aboard and decided to 'Wait The Old Dude Out..." Knowing this, I returned to the house and sure enough... Within a few moments , they dashed back and retrieved their rides and then disappeared into the Foggy Night Air like they were made of the Stuff
THIEFBIKE1.jpgTHIEFBIKE3.jpgTHIEFBIKE4.jpgTHIEFBIKE5.jpgTHIEFBIKE6.jpgTHIEFBIKE7.jpg

I went on line soon after to check on what might be the latest Amazon arrivals. Lo and Behold...the only thing I had coming were Two 44 Lb Boxes containing 50 ea. 96 Gallon Plastic Trash Bin Bags. Anyhow, after advising "The Lil' Woman" and enduring her tirade for me to "CALL THE POLICE!!!" ...and of course, all of her "I TOLD You SOs" . I tried to explain that "Baby... Please... They can't EAT those Trash Bags.." and that as soon as they realized what they had snatched would be of little use to them, they'd abandon the Heavy Boxes nearby. Not ten minutes after that, I received a Text Message from a Neighbor informing me that "Two Boys were hiding in my Flower Bed and I caught them on my "Security Camera". She also said, " I found Two Boxes with YOUR name on them and I brought them back and put them on your Chair." et voilà!

So
In the days and weeks that followed, I decided to overcome my disdain for what happened by Taking Some ACTION via getting an Amazon-Blink Home Security System (gradually at first, and later by adding everything listed above over time). I absolutely LOVE This Set UP! And I also knew that it would only be a matter of time before I would hear and see these Two Young Idiots riding through the neighborhood and be able to get a better look at them.

What they did not realize is that I observed the DIFFERENCES and CONDITIONS of those Two Bikes, noting that One had a VERY RUSTY CHAIN and I surmised that THIS artifact would alert me to their presence out on the street. A month or so had passed by before I could hear that distinct "Squeaky Bike Chain" and as I sprang to exit the front door...the Lone Predatory Brat heard my own "Squeaky Door Lock" turning and suddenly, he 'Poured On The Coals' while Peddling West as Fast as he could move his chubby legs. But NOT before I managed to get a Very Good Look at this Feral Kid:

Comme ça ...
THIEFAVERYRUSTYCHAIN.jpg
THIEFNOTARUSTYCHAIN.jpg

The Investigation will continue... and once I have all the information involved, I'll alert "The FUZZ" and UPS to BOLO these BRATS around the Christmas Holidays... for THESE Two Shady Characters WILL need to be tailed through our Neighborhood as they will, without any doubt, repeat their offenses every chance they get.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I like my Blink cameras except that the batteries do not last the stated 2 years but more like 6 months or less. My doorbell camera is especially bad, lasting only 2 months. I am trying out some rechargeable lithiums as it gets expensive with the throwaway ones. These seems to be well rated.

BTW, I hope you used the Amazon links with the GMTNation tags to throw some money towards the site.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Re: doorbell cams... I bought the Ring model that hooks up to the existing doorbell wiring (no batteries). Got it on a Black Friday deal and finally installed it a couple of months ago. (about half the price of what you see here -- no way would I pay $65 USD, as they're asking for it now).

The biggest 'revelation', as it were, was seeing the 'neighbors' (from miles away) sharing their vidcaps of small-time punks going around and looking for unlocked car doors to do some midnight B&E. Bigger than that was seeing that some ppl actually don't lock their car doors. :dunce: Sorry, peeps -- my inner-city boy never left me.

Seeing this has prompted me to do a little 'theft-proofing' on my Sierra's tonneau (I'll post another thread on this, when the time comes, as it'll be my first welding project)

To get the link below, I just revisited my purchase. Hopefully I get the GMTN tag right (if not, mods, please fix and let me know what I did wrong -- thx. It worked when I tested it, at least)

Ring doorbell cam

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The Blink doorbell cam does have a provision for the original doorbell wires however I don't have any :frown: .

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Uh Oh.... "Here We Go... Again..."

WTF Does THAT Mean? I can't afford to replace my Two Legacy Samsung "J" Cheapo Cell Phones and my Two REALLY Nice Samsung Galaxy S7 Golden Cell Phones (No SIM Cards... Just for Security Cams and for Watching TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime & get Outlook Emails, etc.) either just to satisfy this friggin' arbitrary Amazon Bling Security problem. Jesus Palomino, Come ON Amazon....Give A Guy A BREAK! HELP!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So they're saying that anything with Android 8 or older will no longer be supported. It's old, released in 2017 and the last security update was in 2021. Could pose a security risk regardless.

You could buy a cheap tablet with a newer version of Android.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
...or I could just cancel my Security Arrangements with a Paid Amazon Blink Deal and just rely upon using the Version Two White Box... along with my existing plugged in 256 Gig Thumb Drive to capture all of the Cam Videos DIRECTLY. I can always download them later Off Line by plugging in the Thumb Drive to my Work Station and Dump The Video Works.

I am generally always at home and so I don't require any remote security access when I am away for just a few minutes at a time, so that poses no heartache. I just hate the idea that this Smells like one of those "One Tech Hand Washes The Other Tech-Hand" arrangements meant to drive up the ever-dwindling New Cell Phone Sales Contracts using these arbitrary excuses. They could just keep on patching with simple Android Updates in perpetuity... which would be the right way to do this...IF.... they were REALLY serious about "Security Issues" and concerns. I'm calling "Bravo Sierra" Here on THIS One!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oh I gave up the sub a long time ago and I can still access videos from anywhere. Just takes longer to load.

However, the newer Blinks don't even allow that as they won't work without a sub at all. I think I'll keep my older ones thank you.

Reactions: Redbeard and mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online