Alignment needed after Strut replacement? Alignment needed after new ball joints?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I'm going to get started on my front end work in stages. I'm planning on replacing the struts cartridges with the Bilstein 5100 so I can add a little lift. Up to 2.75 inch lift is what I'm reading I can get out of them.

After the Bilstein 5100's I'm planning on replacing all ball joints...uppers and lowers. It wont happen for a few months after the struts.

My question is.....do I have to do a fresh alignment after the new Struts? If yes...I may just wait until I can do all the work at the same time. Struts, ball joints, then alignment.

How much lift would I need to bring it level up front? Stock tires front and rear. Stock springs, New 4600 Bilstein rear shocks.

Thanks for any input.

Reactions: Mike of Maine

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I think when lifting you have to flip the upper control arms, and swap them from side to side.

I could be mistaken... @Mooseman would know more I think.

If you doing any of that, yes an alignment would be in order because you are changing its static ride height, which will change caster, camber, and toe.

If you were just changing struts and keeping the stock ride height, it would not be required, just recommended.

Reactions: Mike of Maine

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
FWIW, I installed MarkMCs 2.5" lift blocks up front and that put my EXT level like I wanted it. I did have to flip and swap the UCAs when I did the install, and an alignment was definitely necessary.

Even when I replaced my LCAs, left my old brackets in, my alignment was pretty off. I waited a little too long, and could start seeing tire wear on the outside edges before I got the alignment done again. :bonk:

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Calling Mooseman.... Would I need to swap my upper control arms and flip them over if I am using the 5100 Bilsteins and adjusting them up 2 inches?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Mike of Maine

Sep 6, 2023
Maine~
When I replaced the worn struts and springs with new Rancho 5100 and Moog HD springs(can't remember # 89112 maybe?) my front end lifted considerably. Its only back to stock height, no lift yet, but shifted the ball joint angle a lot.
Its a Denali that had the air ride rear replaced with Arrnot coil swap. It was all jacked up in the rear like a sad Hot Wheels car without the cool Redline tires!
I picked up a BDS lift to install. When it all goes in, I plan to flip the arms based on research at ORTB.com.
Its a pretty easy job to pull the upper control arms, esp since the struts will be out of your way in this case.
My alignment was totally out of whack after the struts and springs went in as others have also stated.
Planning to do all your work including ball joints and then getting your alignment done is the way to go.
A common theme when doing a lift is to plan it out, get all the parts and do the job once. Or at least as close to that as possible. My shop is filled with parts and tires etc while I'm collecting all my stuff for the "once" job!
I would love to know how the 5100 lift goes! I bought my BDS lift because Bilstein 5100 was out of stock.
Bilstein have a proven record with ORTB guys as does the BDS lift with 4600's
Please let us know about the install and ride!
Good luck!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Calling Mooseman.... Would I need to swap my upper control arms and flip them over if I am using the 5100 Bilsteins and adjusting them up 2 inches?
If you don't flip the UCAs you will be replacing the bushings sooner rather than later. Since I have flipped my one I have not had to go back in to take care of them. You may want to inspect your bushings now and decide to replace them or the UCAs now when flipping them.

Reactions: c good and Mooseman

WhiteWolf

Apr 3, 2021
Arizona
If you insist on screwing-up the ride-height, you MUST get a proper alignment done afterward.

Do all the front-end work at the same time. Pay for ONE alignment instead of multiple.
I agree with Shurkey, I was getting ready to post a similar answer as this one. Unless you know how to do your own alignment you're better off waiting to do it altogether.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online