Advice from Audio Guru's

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
So I feel it's finally time to upgrade my head unit in my truck. I rather be able to plug in my iPhone and listen to what I want instead of messing with cds. So my budget is under $200 and I don't need anything else to special besides being able to use my iPhone. No navi, no On star, or steering wheel control so with that being said I think I found what I need. I'm fairly certain I can do my own install, just need to make a list of what I need. So this is what I have. Any other input would be great.

stero.png

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
07 TB RIDER said:
So I feel it's finally time to upgrade my head unit in my truck. I rather be able to plug in my iPhone and listen to what I want instead of messing with cds. So my budget is under $200 and I don't need anything else to special besides being able to use my iPhone. No navi, no On star, or steering wheel control so with that being said I think I found what I need. I'm fairly certain I can do my own install, just need to make a list of what I need. So this is what I have. Any other input would be great.

stero.png

I personally would go with this:
Alpine CDE-122 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Only because I love alpine HU and it works with pandora :smile:. Everything else on your list is good except I would go with different connectors, I'll see if I can find them for you.

I couldn't find them on Walmart.com but I know they sell them in-store. They're called butt connectors +heat shrink, you'll want 18-22g

Here's a 3m site of them
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...V3gs_18K4DKSH3B_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv)&rt=d

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Decembersend said:
I personally would go with this:
Alpine CDE-122 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Only because I love alpine HU and it works with pandora :smile:. Everything else on your list is good except I would go with different connectors, I'll see if I can find them for you.

I couldn't find them on Walmart.com but I know they sell them in-store. They're called butt connectors +heat shrink, you'll want 18-22g

Here's a 3m site of them
3M Electrical - Product Catalog - US: 3M™ Scotchlok™ Butt Connector Heatshrink, 25/bottle, MH14BCX

Hmm, good point about Pandora. And appreciate the tips for the connectors.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Alpine and Kenwood are both good. But for you situation I will side with dec. Im usually a die hard kenwood fan for HUs only there other stuff is just no.

With alpine you get your pandora its a cool feature, Im not big on that stuff but if internet radio is your thing obviously cant go wrong.

With the Alpine units adding some bump to your speakers is easy as plug and play with there "power pack"its basically an amp the plugs in after your HU and you are done. Which is an AWESOME thing for people that arnt obsessed like some of us but still want that little bump.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22630_Alpine-KTP-445.html

I can vouch for 3m connectors, Use scotchlock everyday for work good stuff.

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
I know you started off on the premise of replacing the HU. Does the Kenwood unit let you control your play selection from the HU? IF not, then aren't you really just trying to get an AUX input to use your iPhone as a source?

Just throwing it out there but maybe you missed this:

GMTNation - $3.00 Aux input via XM interface

I haven't dug very far into it, but it looks like an option that suits me fine...not big on internet radio (and hate paying for data connection), can set my phone up with as many playlists as I want so I could care less about control from the HU (or steering wheel controls in my case)

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
Alpine and Kenwood are both good. But for you situation I will side with dec. Im usually a die hard kenwood fan for HUs only there other stuff is just no.

With alpine you get your pandora its a cool feature, Im not big on that stuff but if internet radio is your thing obviously cant go wrong.

With the Alpine units adding some bump to your speakers is easy as plug and play with there "power pack"its basically an amp the plugs in after your HU and you are done. Which is an AWESOME thing for people that arnt obsessed like some of us but still want that little bump.

Alpine KTP-445 (ktp445) Plug and Play Head Unit Power Pack for

I can vouch for 3m connectors, Use scotchlock everyday for work good stuff.

Hmm, I may have to look into this. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

WarGawd said:
I know you started off on the premise of replacing the HU. Does the Kenwood unit let you control your play selection from the HU? IF not, then aren't you really just trying to get an AUX input to use your iPhone as a source?

Just throwing it out there but maybe you missed this:

GMTNation - $3.00 Aux input via XM interface

I haven't dug very far into it, but it looks like an option that suits me fine...not big on internet radio (and hate paying for data connection), can set my phone up with as many playlists as I want so I could care less about control from the HU (or steering wheel controls in my case)

Both the unit I found and the unit that Dec. recommended have the ipod user interface off of the HU. And the Aux input is a good option but I don't believe it would work in my case since my truck came without XM :frown:

[video=youtube_share;_X3WSYJYJ8k]http://youtu.be/_X3WSYJYJ8k[/video]

[video=youtube_share;lJFrIybmQ14]http://youtu.be/lJFrIybmQ14[/video]

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
07 TB RIDER said:
Hmm, I may have to look into this. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Both the unit I found and the unit that Dec. recommended have the ipod user interface off of the HU. And the Aux input is a good option but I don't believe it would work in my case since my truck came without XM :frown:

Nice feature to control your Iphone from the deck...BUT if it isn't a big priority, the AUX input method MAY still work for you. It's pretty vague in my memory, but something I read somewhere left me with the understanding that the XM receiver just plugs into the OEM deck...does your unit cycle through XM1 & XM2 on the display when you push the BAND button? Not trying to push you this route, just if you're interested it might be worth saving $175 if it can work for you

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
WarGawd said:
Nice feature to control your Iphone from the deck...BUT if it isn't a big priority, the AUX input method MAY still work for you. It's pretty vague in my memory, but something I read somewhere left me with the understanding that the XM receiver just plugs into the OEM deck...does your unit cycle through XM1 & XM2 on the display when you push the BAND button? Not trying to push you this route, just if you're interested it might be worth saving $175 if it can work for you

XM is a no go, did not come with the truck, does not cycle through to anything XM related.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
On the kenwood you can cycle deck control and hand control but don't have to give up your iphone charging. Kind of nice atleast my old hu and all the ppl i know rocking the kenwood have that option.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online