a way to access the microphone?

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Anyone know where I can access the microphone for OnStar? I'm adding a blue tooth hands free and was thinking of using the mic that is already in the car.

I created the accessory input from: GMTNation - $3.00 Aux input via XM interface

Next, I got a bluetooth stereo headset with microphone. I've got it all wired, (two small USB hubs, 1 ignition, 1 always on, for powering stuff in the truck. This would be ignition) but instead of going to the earphones it goes to a plug. And on the jack side, I've got it ready to take a microphone. So if I can access the built in mic, I'd like to do that. If not, I'll get an additional one. I've 4 got small switches, replacing what was on the headset (power, volume, forward/reverse - answer/???). I mated it to my IPhone so now I've got a bluetooth connection for my music and will soon have the mic for the entire phone experience. And it plugs into the same socket that a regular headset plug would, so I can unplug it and use any music player, etc. Or move the bluetooth to another vehicle.

About $4 or $5 for the wired part (XM to the jack), $24 for the headphones, another $10 for the switches and mods. Adding a mic if necessary will be about $5 more.

Thanks for your expertise.

MCS

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
mcsteven said:
Anyone know where I can access the microphone for OnStar? I'm adding a blue tooth hands free and was thinking of using the mic that is already in the car.

It's up in the overhead console, you should be able to see a small slotted grille, that's where it's located. Depending on the components in your console, you may need to either open the sunglass holder compartment, or pop off the dome light lenses, and there are a pair of small torx screws at the corners, holding the back of the console to the headliner. The front is held in by clips.

It's been a while since I've taken mine down, but I think it's the grille on the right. The one on the left side is for the memo module's speaker.

IMAG0571_zps063b6652.jpg

Once you get that down, you're well on your way. Good luck man! :thumbsup:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
It's up in the overhead console, you should be able to see a small slotted grille, that's where it's located. Depending on the components in your console, you may need to either open the sunglass holder compartment, or pop off the dome light lenses, and there are a pair of small torx screws at the corners, holding the back of the console to the headliner. The front is held in by clips.

It's been a while since I've taken mine down, but I think it's the grille on the right. The one on the left side is for the memo module's speaker.

IMAG0571_zps063b6652.jpg

Once you get that down, you're well on your way. Good luck man! :thumbsup:

The onstar mic is in the rear view mirror I thought. That other mic is for the voice memo feature isn't it?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Jkust said:
The onstar mic is in the rear view mirror I thought. That other mic is for the voice memo feature isn't it?

Nope, Roadie's pic is correct. I later found a pic I took while doing some modding that shows the same. I think the small openings on the mirror are light sensors.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
jeffro312 said:
Maybe my Rainier's different but what is the slotted grill with microphone looking thing in it driver pillar between front and back door

The perforated grille on the B pillar is found only on Trucks with the Auto Temp Controls. It contains a module with a micro fan and a temp sensor to supply feedback of the cabin temperature back to the ATC.

Basically it draws air in and over a thermistor. When it gets dirty it will feedback inaccurate information as the dirt coats the thermistor and even worse it clogs up and slows or stops the fan from spinning.

A periodic flush using mild air pressure (eg, air in a can or 10-30 psi using a blow gun) will allow the ATC to get most accurate readings.

Reactions: h0331ammer

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Thank you everyone who's responded so far. As for access to the microphone, I was assuming that it connected to the radio or an OnStar module somewhere. I was hoping to find where to access it other than right at the condenser. Anyone know?

I, too, have the small grille on my driver's side b-pillar. I was wondering about that as well. :confused:

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
BRomanJr said:
The perforated grille on the B pillar is found only on Trucks with the Auto Temp Controls. It contains a module with a micro fan and a temp sensor to supply feedback of the cabin temperature back to the ATC.

Basically it draws air in and over a thermistor. When it gets dirty it will feedback inaccurate information as the dirt coats the thermistor and even worse it clogs up and slows or stops the fan from spinning.

A periodic flush using mild air pressure (eg, air in a can or 10-30 psi using a blow gun) will allow the ATC to get most accurate readings.

Thanks. That's cool. Or warm. Or whatever you've got the auto-temp set to.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
the roadie said:
Sure, you can access it at the OnStar module under the rear passenger's side seat. Need the connector pinout? It doesn't go to the radio head unit.

If you have the pinout info that would be fantastic. I'd like to leave the OnStar intact if I can.

Also, is the memo module easily transplanted into a vehicle that doesn't have it? My overhead has two lights, sunroof switch and home control buttons.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
mcsteven said:
Also, is the memo module easily transplanted into a vehicle that doesn't have it? My overhead has two lights, sunroof switch and home control buttons.

:yes: That's exactly what I was doing. Added the memo, and homelink modules, since I didn't have them. You'll just have to connect 12v, ground, and the illumination circuit, which should be easy enough since you already have the homelink module, which uses the same connections. You just have to find a mounting plate that has the openings for both, and swap that in.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Simple two-wire (low reference is ground). While looking in the manual, I also noticed something I forgot - the Bose audio system ALSO puts a noise-reduction mike up in the overhead console. Not an issue if you're tapping into this at the OnSTar module and not the console, but people should be careful if they're fiddling around inside the console. Sorry I can't find a picture of mine at the moment.

View attachment 27388

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 82

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Only my first 2004 Rainier had the voice memo function...the 07 Rainier and 07 9-7 don't. I think it got cut from the equipment list. No matter we never used it.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Thanks folks. That pin out will certainly help. Not sure if I want (or need) the memo feature.

MCS

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Let us know what you do and how it goes. I shopped for blue tooth solutions but I want it all including texts messages and caller id plus full streaming to the factory nav screen and only use the onstar mic. None of the systems were quite there yet for our old school technology.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Jkust said:
Let us know what you do and how it goes. I shopped for blue tooth solutions but I want it all including texts messages and caller id plus full streaming to the factory nav screen and only use the onstar mic. None of the systems were quite there yet for our old school technology.

I've got a good blue tooth connection now when I use the music on the iphone, but I want to include a mic. Got the switches, etc that replace the micro switches on the headset. Now with The Roadie's info for the microphone, it'll have full phone capabilities with the bluetooth. I don't have the nav, so I'm not concerned about the text. But yeah, the stuff you want sounds cool but I think you'll be doing a big upgrade to the radio/nav system.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.