9-7x Popping Sounds After New Struts

Nate8727

Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
IL
I'm getting popping sounds from my new Bilstein 4600 struts on the front when going over bumps. It happens anytime I go over a bump and it rocks side to side. Sometimes it happens when turning, but it's always when doing the before actions.

I plan on re-tightening everything tomorrow just as a precaution with a torque wrench, but there was something odd I noticed when assembling the shock and coil.

After using a Moog K6702 Strut Mount (See below picture) to replace the original GM and tightening the nut on the rod, I noticed the top washer was loose. I compressed the springs plenty, yet tightening the nut could only go so far and the washer was still loose. The original setup had the washer in the exact same spot where the bow of the cup on the washer was pointed towards the bushing like you see in the below picture (from google).

I'm positive I installed everything in the correct order, but who knows. To actually get everything tight, I removed the nut again and flipped the washer so the cup is facing upward. The new nuts that came with the Bilstein struts were shorter than the GM also. All of the hardware that came with the Bilstein struts I used in place of original or Moog.

1607696652783.png

1607697906165.png

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Nate8727

Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
IL
Update:
I think I figured out the main problem. The Moog strut mounts are shorter than the original GM, and I believe that's causing the excess slack in the rod. The Moog K6702 strut mounts don't include bearings according to RockAuto, but it looks like most of the others do.

Does anyone know of a bushing/bearing/spacer that would work to give the moog strut mounts the same space as the original gm?

If not, I'll have to get a different set and return the Moogs.

Thanks.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I had the same types of noises when I put a front lift on my EXT. Took quite a while to figure out, driving around the block, and checking stuff. Turned out to be the lower strut nuts, that secure it to the lower control arm needed to be retorqued. They were tight enough that I couldn't wiggle anything by hand, but the weight shifting over speed bumps or rough roads was enough to make it rattle and clank. :twocents:

Reactions: xavierny25

Bumperquip

Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Area
As difficult as it may be ... everything (top and bottom mounts and bolts) need to tightened while vehicle is sitting on the ground.

If shocks and/or struts are secured with wheels elevated, issues can pop up.

Nate8727

Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
IL
I'll try tightening everything first with the torque specs, then go from there. Thanks!

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Did you loosen the sway bar links to install the struts? If so, did you re-tighten them?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Yes, but I'm second guessing if they were tight enough.

You may need to use (I believe) a 5MM hex inside the end of the bolt to keep from turning.

If you can't get the link seated, the bar may need to be level. Meaning either both wheels hanging or both wheels with the suspension compressed.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Did you loosen the sway bar links to install the struts? If so, did you re-tighten them?

And did you tighten them again, and again..

I put my impact gun on it, and just let it hammer away for a good minute. Probably way overtightened, but I will worry about that later. Those things always seem to find a way loose from everything I have read on the forums. Believe it or not, at 197k, im still on the factory originals on the front, replacements on the back.

Billdaman1

Nov 14, 2018
Ohio

Believe it. I just replaced struts and sway bar links. Clunking low speeds in random way, sometimes over bumps sometimes not. The right sway bar link attachment nut had backed it self off. Tracking it down was frustrating.

Retorqued, popping gone!

Reactions: gmcman

Nate8727

Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
IL
Update:

After tightening everything according to specs the popping sounds are gone. I’m pretty sure it was the end links.

The rest of the front suspension is still sloppy, but that’s a different problem. I need new control arms, tie rods, etc...

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Dont forget your lower control arm mounts with new bushings. This, I think, made a world of difference in the front end feel of my Envoy.

Nate8727

Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
IL
Dont forget your lower control arm mounts with new bushings. This, I think, made a world of difference in the front end feel of my Envoy.
Definitely. I’ll be replacing most of the components with Moog, and with ball joints/bushings already installed.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
where did you get your struts ? ive been looking and everyone has been out of stock for months on the bilsteins
Seems available here:

KEEBZ489

Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
i got them finally , along with moog springs and kyb mounts..... only thing is the nut for the strut shaft is missing from both. i wanted to put them together and just swap everything out. anyone know the nut size ? worst case would it be the same size as the stock? the struts came with the lower bolt and nut where it gets pinched in the knuckle only

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online