4wd to 2wd conversion on supercharged trailblazer

bruhaba

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Down the road I'm looking at installing a 4l80e and SS rear axle in my supercharged trailblazer

(see http://gmtnation.com/f24/supercharged-trailblazer-4200-i6-7320/#post133401 )

I want 4.10 rear gears and a bulletproof drivetrain and don't want to mess with the smallish front axle. Is this as easy as removing the transfer case and driveshaft?

I'm a gearhead, but have never been an off roader and/or paid much attention to 4wd gear, so I'm looking for some easy advice from you experienced folks. What needs to get done? How about if I want to remove the front axle for some weight savings? I'd imagine that changes the story.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
There will be a market for the stuff you remove also. Transfer case and encoder motor, rear and front driveshafts, CV shafts, TCCM and especially the splined disconnect on the passenger side of the oil pan. Your PCM knows it's 4WD, so it will light up the "service 4WD" lamp when you remove 4WD system electrical parts unless you turn off that function in the tune. Not sure if that function is available outside the Tech II.

bruhaba

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
So is the easy way to just leave out the front driveshaft? What needs to get changed with the hubs if you do pull everything out including the CV's? Do I need a set of knuckles from a 2wd truck then?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hubs and knuckles are the same 2WD or 4WD. Just pull the CVs and that's it. Yes, the 2WD guys have a splined hole in their hubs.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
For some odd reason that I think has to do with the extra HP or the way they get driven, 2WD SS trucks often (a couple of the years I've looked up parts for) have a *stub* axle in the center of the hub bearing. Only a few inches long, it simulates having the CV shaft in there, complete with the axle nut on the outside. I think it's to strengthen the bearing races to improve resistance to side loads during high G turns.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online