4WD Problems

tkattre

Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I finally got it all repaired today. Here is what I found. When I tried to hang the encoder and try it before hooking up to the tc it would go from 2hi to awd just fine when I went to 4hi the 4wd service light would come on and that was it. I talked to a local shop and he told me you cant just hang the encoder you will ruin it. So, I got a new one and hooked it up to the tc and it went to 4hi the way it should but I wasnt in 4wd. I decided to try to go to 4lo and it shifted to 4lo but got stuck there. That is where I got sick of laying under that thing in 0 degree weather and I took it into the shop. Long story short my tc was shot also, because the tc was stuck somewhere in between the front disconnect was also chewed up. I got a used tc for 150.00 including the encoder and a front disconnect for 130.00 including the actuator labor to replace both was 150.00 which I didnt think was too bad. Hopefully that solves my problems for good. I learned more than I wanted to about this 4wd system but at least i have an idea if anything goes wrong again. This was my experience hopefully this can help someone.

tkattre

Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Also, I bought a used TCCM which wasnt the problem so, if anyone wants it I will sell it for what it cost me 35.00 plus S&H. Just let me know

telsea

Mar 26, 2014
tkattre said:
Also, I bought a used TCCM which wasnt the problem so, if anyone wants it I will sell it for what it cost me 35.00 plus S&H. Just let me know

Sent you a PM regarding this.

I'm having the dreaded 'Service 4wd' light on intermittently. Sometimes it will come on and my selector lights will be out, then the 2HI light will come on as I'm driving, the service light will remain on. Other times, I can start the Envoy and there will be no 'Service 4wd' light on and my 2HI light will be on.

I have pulled the #8 fuse a couple times, tried moving the selector back and forth as suggested.

With the ignition on, and the selector light off, if I move from 2HI to 4HI, I don't hear any noises, so I'm thinking the motor is bad, but if this is still available I'd like to have this on hand as well.

I'm not mechanically inclined at all so I'm just trying to research as much as I can.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude