4.2L I6 Headers

I Would Buy

• Total voters

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Here at Kooks custom headers we are striving to bring the absolute best products to the market. As part of that process we are always looking for what the next product should be.I would like to gauge the interest in a Stainless header for the 4.2L I6. I would like as much input from you as possible.

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
I would be intrested for sure. the biggest factor for me would be power gains to cost. alot of products have a high price for little HP+torque gained. curious to know the cost and performance you can come up with.:thumbsup:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
I would be interested more in not having to replace a cracked manifold twice... A stock tuned computer cannot take advantage of the flow...

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
McGMT said:
I would be interested more in not having to replace a cracked manifold twice... A stock tuned computer cannot take advantage of the flow...

good point:iagree: not having to replace it again would be worth the money alone!

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
limequat said:
The "yes" should be broken out into:
Yes, I'd buy for $800
Yes, I'd buy for $1000
Yes, I'd buy for $1500

:smile:

That is a good point. I can not edit the poll, but at what price point is it no longer worth it. Please let me know all concerns you would want addressed if you were going to purchase these headers. I will be taking all this information up the chain and see what happens.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hmmmmm.....

I guess it would depend on cost. I would expect them to be more than a replacement manifold (for obvious reasons) but could still be worth it depending on cost. I'm one of the rare lucky guys that hasn't had a manifold crack yet in over 164k miles. But that doesn't mean it won't. If the price was right I'd still probably only get a set if my manifold busted however. I tend to spend most of my performance money on the Camaro.

There were some updates to the engine in 2006 but not sure if the head exhaust ports and manifold changed at all or not.

I'm pretty sure a mod/admin could revise your poll if you wanted.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
novajoe said:
That is a good point. I can not edit the poll, but at what price point is it no longer worth it. Please let me know all concerns you would want addressed if you were going to purchase these headers. I will be taking all this information up the chain and see what happens.

After price my main concerns would be fitment. Does it connect to the stock downpipe? If not what flange? Do I need a new downpipe and CAT? Do I need to extend my O2 sensor harness? What are the power gains? Stainless steel or mild?

I don't expect all of these to be answered right away, just stuff to think about.

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Sparky said:
Hmmmmm.....

I guess it would depend on cost. I would expect them to be more than a replacement manifold (for obvious reasons) but could still be worth it depending on cost. I'm one of the rare lucky guys that hasn't had a manifold crack yet in over 164k miles. But that doesn't mean it won't. If the price was right I'd still probably only get a set if my manifold busted however. I tend to spend most of my performance money on the Camaro.

There were some updates to the engine in 2006 but not sure if the head exhaust ports and manifold changed at all or not.

I'm pretty sure a mod/admin could revise your poll if you wanted.

I Fully understand the price point concern. I know the last time I changed a manifold on a TrailBlazer it was a little over $800.00 my cost and you may still have the cracking issue down the road. So at what price would you consider it and at what price would you walk away?

limequat said:
After price my main concerns would be fitment. Does it connect to the stock downpipe? If not what flange? Do I need a new downpipe and CAT? Do I need to extend my O2 sensor harness? What are the power gains? Stainless steel or mild?

I don't expect all of these to be answered right away, just stuff to think about.

To address the fitment question, all of our headers are prototyped on a real vehicle and then a fixture is made so that every header we make has the best fitment possible. As far as material we use 304 Stainless for our headers. Now as far as where it will connect it is hard to say until the prototype is done. If we have to move the O2 sensors we can do O2 extensions just like we have to do on many of our applications. If we do produce these headers I can warranty that the quality and fitment will be the best that can be offered.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
From what I am seeing there is a difference in the manifold after 2006.

A new 02-05 manifold costs $150 ish for a Dorman which supposedly fixes the cracking issue. Obviously I would not expect a stainless header set to cost that little and still be any good. Honestly I'm probably not a good candidate for a header because I'm too cheap for something like this on my Trailblazer. I'd rather spend its mod money elsewhere, mostly on stuff I could move to the next (probably newer) one since this one's time is limited due to rust cancer.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The other company that has/had headers for the 4.2 I6, never had any documented HP/Torque data.
That and the (for me) high price, IMHO, hurt their sales. :twocents:

FlyingFischer

Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
If price is decent and gains are good, I'm in for a set for sure.

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
For me it would depend on cost and gains. I am also thinking about trading in my TB for a silverado in the next year so that would also be a factor.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
I'd be interested. I am not cheap but I dont see an investment for over$650-$700 for my I6.... But I am with everyone else what are the expected gains of Torque/ HP? I will be towing a small Trailer almost everyday will this help with towing with torque gains?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just yesterday I went to a custom exhaust shop and asked for a quick estimate. They do all stainless work. A one off would cost about $850 and if he were to make a few (10-20) it would come down to $700-750. It's the prep time for the jigging that would make a one off more expensive.

esbob

Oct 14, 2012
Don't have my TrailBlazer yet, but yes I'm interested.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I only posted this as an fyi since I'm not really interested in headers for my truck. Too expensive for what I'd get out of them. Or if anybody wants to pay me for a set I would be happy to loan my truck as a guinea pig :tongue:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online