$2300 for a problem that was overlooked

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
So I took my 02 TB to a shop for them to diagnose my suspension noise. They said I needed struts and shocks all around (I knew that already), brakes and rotors, lower control arms bushings and motor mounts (there was some vibration). I opted for them to do the motor & tranny mounts thinking that would help. It took them all day to get this done and when I picked it up I got hit with $500 bill, I did notice it stopped vibration when I stop at a red light. I asked them to show me the parts they had taken off and only the passenger side mount was bad but they did not call me and tell me that, since they had already ordered the parts they went and installed all of them. Ok, since it helped vibration I was ok but then as I drove off and hit a bump it seemed as the front end was going to fall off. I called them and they said it was my shocks and struts that needed to be changed and offered to do them along with other items mentioned above and it will help with the noise, after hearing the price of $2300 I said no thanks. I got on this forum and searched and came to a thread that explained all the symptoms I had and so I went to check my sway bar links and sure enough, they were the originals as they did not have the greasing ends and no nut to hold it while taking it off. At 167k miles, they needed to come out, so I went to Oreillys and got both sides and while I was there I picked up the sway bar bushings and replaced them today and voila...the noise is gone. I cannot understand how the shop missed something like this. Next is my ball joints and struts/shock.
Thanks for having this forum up.....without it, I think I would be in the hole a couple grand for being lazy. This is the first time working on an SUV but it is not much different than the sedans I am used to working on.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The forums will definitely help you save some money. You can find almost everything here.

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
djthumper said:
The forums will definitely help you save some money. You can find almost everything here.

The forum along with youtube and MAY03LT's videos, we are set. Looks Like I will be working on this ride myself. I am just waiting on some new KYB shocks/struts that I might get for free and those are going in.

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
Most shops are like any place. Full of morons. When ever i have anything done in a shop i research the shit out of it so i dont get bent over. (any more than i have too.)

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Forums are a great place to get some diagnosis on your car. Generally most point you in the right direction.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Can you post the written quote?

Heres the thing. Times are tough. The advisor was trying to hit a homerun and the tech/mechanic may get a cut from "what they found". Seeing just the sway links both thought they may have a chance at a good day. Or you "negotiate" and pick and choose what you want done and you get a break in the initial quote and they still bend you over.

I know a few guys who are service writers and they don't know jack. Kind of a old joke now too. I'm sorry they quoted you so high. Parts markup and stretching labor is a killer. People do pay these astronomically rates because it "needs to get done".

With the help of this site, you should know what to look for and when to know to RUN and not hand over the keys. Call em out on their BS too :yes:

and $2300 isn't too bad :rotfl: I've seen the ticket go higher! My brother use to eat lunch on a rear shock job in college because he could get away with it on the lift for 40mins. 5 min job quoted an hour out the door in 45. Both are happy. I got free oil changes for pizza.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
After the $2300, you still would have had the noise and they would then "find" the worn end links.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
The only thing I don't touch is the transmission, nothing 1st hand knowledge from great members and a toolbox cant fix.....you can always grab beer to bribe a second set of hands as well. :thumbsup:

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Wooluf1952 said:
After the $2300, you still would have had the noise and they would then "find" the worn end links.

Yeah, funny thing is that they went for all the expensive stuff. I used to have respect for this shop when my friend used to manage it but now the new guys are just plain money hungry and don't care about the customer. I took the car in at 8 am and was 2nd in line (I had an appointment, they have 5 bays and like 11 employees who from what I saw were just hanging around), yet it took them til 12:30 to call me with a diagnosis of what was wrong. After dealing with them this last time I am just going to find time to work on my own TB and look for a respectable shop for the difficult repairs. After I did the repair even my wife was surprised at the difference in ride quality and the noise being gone.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online