2014 Yukon Denali rear suspension questions

Johnnyringo

Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Detroit, MI
My newly acquired Yukon is equipped with auto leveling rear suspension. Today I measured the hitch receiver dimension between my 05 Envoy and the Yukon. The receiver on the Yukon is 3" higher off the ground than the Envoy's.

My enclosed car trailer is a tandem axle trailer with no provision for a weight distribution hitch due to the V-nose. I attached the trailer to the Yukon with the ignition key off and the vehicle dropped down about 2" in the rear. I then started the engine and the rear suspension auto leveled the rear back to the original height. That sets the tongue height too high. I already have the largest (7") drop hitch I could find.

I'm now looking for solutions. What if I pull the fuse for the auto level air pump for example?

Any and all suggestions welcomed. Thanks, JR

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If your rear end is too high, especially compared to your front, you could adjust the level sensors down.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Can you tell me how to do that?

Very easy. Above each side of the axle, there is a sensor with a rod that extends to the body. Pop it off and turn it to extend it more (make it longer) equally on each side, pop it back in. Next time you start it, it will lower to the new height.

This will lower the rear but it will always be that height. So if your rear winds up sagging while loaded, it will sag while unloaded so you still want it to be even with the front.

Johnnyringo

Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Detroit, MI
Very easy. Above each side of the axle, there is a sensor with a rod that extends to the body. Pop it off and turn it to extend it more (make it longer) equally on each side, pop it back in. Next time you start it, it will lower to the new height.

This will lower the rear but it will always be that height. So if your rear winds up sagging while loaded, it will sag while unloaded so you still want it to be even with the front.

Does the vehicle have a coil spring rear suspension with the air shock providing the leveling adjustment? What would happen if I pulled the fuse for the pump?
Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it's a similar system to the GMT360, it's just air bags, no springs. If you pull the fuse, the level would stay at whatever level it's at but over time, will lose air and go low. How fast it does this depends on if there are any leaks. It could hold for months, just days or hours.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Check out ebay items
They may solve your problem.

Or look for one that's adjustable. But they run around 200-300

Last edited:

Johnnyringo

Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Detroit, MI
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it very much.
It took some work, but I got it done by using a Curt short bar WDH and
CURT Weight Distribution Shank #17125.

I had to add 3 additional adjustment holes and cut about 2 1/2" off the bottom. Just got back from a 3000 mile trip towing my car hauler. Worked out great!

Last edited by a moderator:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I don't know how the Yukon is but the escalade doesn't use airbags in the coils it uses air bags on the shocks. I imagine it would be the same system.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online