2010 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD

Team Dougherty

Original poster
May 22, 2012
I am looking to replace my 2002 Envoy with the above. Does the AWD mean it will have a G80, or other LSD, in the rear diff or is it possible to have an open diff. I really like the G80 in my envoy. I asked the selling dealer, independent, if it had a G80 he said he will look on Monday and let me know. Then he asked if it was needed since it was AWD. So I now would like to know.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't think there's a rule that says all 4x4 trucks shall have G80 (or G86 on AWD trucks) but one would think it should. Only way to be certain is to look at the RPO codes in the glove box, which will also give you the gearing. If that Denali has full time AWD (non-selectable 4x4), it would likely have the LSD G86 diff.

Team Dougherty

Original poster
May 22, 2012
I don't think there's a rule that says all 4x4 trucks shall have G80 (or G86 on AWD trucks) but one would think it should. Only way to be certain is to look at the RPO codes in the glove box, which will also give you the gearing. If that Denali has full time AWD (non-selectable 4x4), it would likely have the LSD G86 diff.

thanks for info. it is full time AWD i asked the dealer if they knew. if it doesn't I am not interested in going to look at it.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
G86 is just as good, if not better than, the G80, especially on non-off-road situations. The full-time AWD is not the same as the part-time AWD in the Envoy, which I call the slip/bang system. Not sure what the full size trucks with AWD have though but likely the full-time system.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online