2008 gmc Acadia weird noise when turning left.

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
My acadia started making a kind of clicking, whirring sound on a spot in my road. It was only at this spot. It was when Id go up an incline and a left turn. I could hear what almost sounded like a rubbing clicking sound. I thought something was rubbing the radiator fan when I was turning left up an incline. I found no rubs anywhere. The noise has gotten more frequent now tho. Its only on left turns. I have to be moving to make the sound. Just turning left at idle does nothing. The sound kinda is a whirring sound with like a bit of clicking or clacking mixed in. Its only when turning left and more pronounced when an uphill left is made. Its not a wheel bearing or anything like that. It has a more internal sound. Like the trans or engine. I checked the dipstick on trans and it was showing fluid cold. The engine oil is at the very bottom of the hash mark, but still in the good. Please help. Thanks

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Your Profile indicates a Trailblazer LTZ. This On Topic information comes from an Acadia Forum:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like (pun not intended) a half shaft is going. If possible, jack and secure on jack stands all four corners (because it's AWD). Have someone put it in drive and turning the steering wheel while you observe and listen from under.

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
Okay So my thoughts were the cv axle or transmission. Thats kinda where it sounded like. Thats why I checked the trans fluid. I checked it when cold tho. I read up that you have to get the transmission up to temperature then cycle it through the gears and check it. I did that and was barely showing on the bottom of the dipstick. So I went and bought 5 quarts of fluid and just opened the drain plug and refilled with 5 quarts of new dex VI. In theory that should put it to the correct level I assume. So I did that and drove my daughter to school this morning and it made no noise. Im hoping thats all it was. On a side note the passenger side axle looks to be leaking a bit where it slides into the case. Would that be transmission fluid coming out there? If so I guess that would explain it being low.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
On a side note the passenger side axle looks to be leaking a bit where it slides into the case. Would that be transmission fluid coming out there? If so I guess that would explain it being low.
Yes.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You would have to pull the axle and the seal is in the tranny. This is some generic pic I found.

cv-axle-seal-location-1024x856.jpg

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samsen