NEED HELP 2008 Chevy trailblazer Lt 4x4

Jgonzalez

Original poster
Dec 30, 2020
Louisville Ky
So my engine in my suv is shot it’s a 08 trailblazer Lt 4x4 but the shop said it’s cheaper replacing then rebuilding it but I need advice on what will fit or not I’ve had some saying a 2007 engine will work and some tell me it won’t work

Last edited:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Don't want to doubt you, but what is it doing? These motors can make some very scary sounds and not be a huge issue, ie, water pump sounds like a wrist pin.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Ouch. Sorry to hear.

The 08-09 have the 58 tooth reluctor compared to the earlier 24 tooth. Not sure if and when in 07 it even changed.

Consensus is the 08-09 need to stay together, not compatible with earlier years.

Reactions: Jgonzalez

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, only 08-09 engines will work.

Reactions: Jgonzalez

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Yep.. 08-09 only.. Check Craigslist, usually there is someone always parting one out, dont be afraid to search state wide, or further, for a good one.

Jgonzalez

Original poster
Dec 30, 2020
Louisville Ky
Ouch. Sorry to hear.

The 08-09 have the 58 tooth reluctor compared to the earlier 24 tooth. Not sure if and when in 07 it even changed.

Consensus is the 08-09 need to stay together, not compatible with earlier years.
Thank you and I finally found an engine it’s got 119K on it and the old one I’ll rebuild completely

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I personally wouldnt rebuild it. I dont have anything against rebuilding an engine, just parts are pretty pricey, and those head studs...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it spun a bearing, it might not be rebuildable without a lot of machining work and possibly a new crank. Unless you have big plans for the truck, I wouldn't bother with it.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Fiancée drove it few miles without oil
Out of curiosity, what happened?

I had a radiator hose pop off once, and the engine started to overheat. The person driving it said it made an alarm that sounds "just like the door is open". By luck she was within a 100 yds or so of the house so the trailblazer is still on the road today. No steam even. The only thing I can think is that I didn't tighten radiator clamp down tight enough when I had changed out a thermostat at some point but not recently, like a couple of years.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online