2008 9-7x no crank, starter and battery good. Security?

oldog

Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
I've loaned my 4.2L out and they ran into some starting issues.

Apparently the car doesn't crank but with some messing around, may start and run intermittently.

The mechanic has it now and said they can bypass the ignition to start the truck , that the battery and starter are both good, but the truck shuts down after a minute. His theory is the key fob chip is not functioning properly and needs to make a key.

I've never had this problem in 2.5 years of ownership. Any ideas on this one??

Thank you,

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would be temped to say ignition switch but this is a Saab right? It uses a whole different switch and, contrary to all other GMT360, does have a PK3 chip in the key. I haven't heard of one of these switches failing compared to the others.

Does the security light come on or flash when you attempt to start it? Tried jumping or replacing the relay? Does the PCM send the signal to the relay? Might need a Tech 2 scanner to see if the PCM is getting the crank request from the ignition key to rule it out.

oldog

Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yes its a Saab. I'll try and find out some of these things. Sounds like he wants to make a new key in order to continue diagnosing. Unfortunately he is out of town so I can't give him my spare.

Is it possible the chip in the key fob has gone bad or broke?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's rare but my son once replaced the battery in the original fob that's part of the key and the chip popped out and got lost. Good thing my VATS is disabled.

oldog

Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
This problem was solved by purchase and reprogram of a new key. The old key fob no longer works (but the windows and unlock buttons do). What a bizarre problem. I'll open up the old fob when I get a chance.

Reactions: Mooseman

mbritch

Feb 10, 2024
Lancaster ohio
Mooseman, you say your vat is disabled? I have a 9-7x with the passkey 3 system, it will start for about 1 seconds then shutdown. My security light stays lit. I am having trouble finding information on jumping the security system out. I found it for Chevy trucks, however the Saab is different. How did you tune yours out? I have a guy that tuned my turbo mustang, is this something I need to reach out to him for? Is there a jumper wire I can install? I'm desperate for help. Tia

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Attachments

• PT77-0011.pdf
    503.6 KB · Views: 3

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had my PCM tuned to ignore the VATS signal from the BCM. Anyone with a tuner can do this as well as other improvements. The PCM will start and run the engine however the BCM will keep flashing the security light at you. Some electrical tape can fix that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online