2006 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3l 4x4 | No crank No Start

NullTuper

Original poster
Dec 10, 2023
Indiana
One morning after fixing up a leak in my filter I parked my Denali on the side of my house. Everything went smooth, drove her around shifted just fine and everything was working as should. No engine codes as of driving.
The next day the temp has dropped to 0 degrees F that is COLDDD at least to me.
My car tried to start, hesitated and wouldn't. I tried one more time but gave it some gas this time which was probably dumb cause its cold. It almost started than it shut off on me. No there is a No crank no start happening. The engine does not crank anymore, just a single small click from under the car than nothing after that, im thinking it could be the starter clicking. Could the starter had failed while trying to start the engine? Or did I fuck something up while pushing the gas pedal while trying to start while it was 0 degrees outside? Hoping its just the start, i am praying it is because I do not wanna replace something way more expensive xD

I will be trying to jump the fuse today and see if that does anything, after that I'm going to tap on the starter to see if anything happens.

I did drive it a 'week' while Low on oil tho, (engine leaks) :sadcry: she is completely full as of now. What are the chanced I seized it while trying to start??? i am hoping not :sadcry: I have had so much anxiety this last 2 weeks its unreal... Its kept me up at night because my car is the only thing that makes me happy recently. And with having a blown disk in my lower back Im unable to do anything with it till the summer hits. :sadcry: Thank you to everyone who replies! <3

NullTuper

Original poster
Dec 10, 2023
Indiana
The battery is about 8 months old I think. Still had the auto zone sticker on top of it.
I’m going to take the battery inside the house and hook it up to a battery charger and see if it being warm and fully charged will turn it over. 🤞 hate not being able to have fun In the winter :wink:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd also have it tested. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good. Also check the output of the alternator.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Take it to a parts store, either in or off the vehicle. And also if it's voltage is showing above 14v.

NullTuper

Original poster
Dec 10, 2023
Indiana
Take it to a parts store, either in or off the vehicle. And also if it's voltage is showing above 14v.
Alternator and battery are all 100% and working just fine, I figured they would be given I bought them just a month ago together. I know some cases they will go bad quick but they are fine for me. Im going to try and hit the starter when I get the chance. its been snowing non stop where I live atm.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
:-( The other test might be turning the engine by hand... remove the plugs and see if you can use a wrench to turn the engine. Hopefully, it will turn and then you can do further electrical and other tests on the starting system.

Realism

Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
One morning after fixing up a leak in my filter I parked my Denali on the side of my house. Everything went smooth, drove her around shifted just fine and everything was working as should. No engine codes as of driving.
The next day the temp has dropped to 0 degrees F that is COLDDD at least to me.
My car tried to start, hesitated and wouldn't. I tried one more time but gave it some gas this time which was probably dumb cause its cold. It almost started than it shut off on me. No there is a No crank no start happening. The engine does not crank anymore, just a single small click from under the car than nothing after that, im thinking it could be the starter clicking. Could the starter had failed while trying to start the engine? Or did I fuck something up while pushing the gas pedal while trying to start while it was 0 degrees outside? Hoping its just the start, i am praying it is because I do not wanna replace something way more expensive xD

I will be trying to jump the fuse today and see if that does anything, after that I'm going to tap on the starter to see if anything happens.

I did drive it a 'week' while Low on oil tho, (engine leaks) :sadcry: she is completely full as of now. What are the chanced I seized it while trying to start??? i am hoping not :sadcry: I have had so much anxiety this last 2 weeks its unreal... Its kept me up at night because my car is the only thing that makes me happy recently. And with having a blown disk in my lower back Im unable to do anything with it till the summer hits. :sadcry: Thank you to everyone who replies! <3
You would be good with the oil, you would know if low oil/ no oil damaged your engine. Sounds most likely that your starter went out. If you got lights when you turn key and hear the click of the solenoid going but no start. 9 times out of 10 its going to be the mechanical side of your starter that took a dump on you.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online