2006 Envoy Denali Ignition Switch

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Need to replace ignition switch looking for suggestion for brand/supplier. Was hoping to avoid Dorman but not sure they aren’t private labeling almost all of them.

Much thanks!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Unfortunately, ACDelco are not making/selling them anymore. You could try through a dealer as there may be some stock left somewhere. It shows as discontinued in online GM parts sellers but I did find this one on FakEbay:

Just be aware that there are a lot of fake parts there and on Amazon.

Failing that, looking at RockAuto, I would recommend Standard Motors Products as the other brands are unknown to me. One thing though is that Dorman does have a lifetime warranty compared to the others.

Or you could try fixing your original switch:
Rebuild your ignition switch

Reactions: Mike534x

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Much thank Mooseman. My issue is that with ignition on all dash lights normal as well as all other ACC rail power. In the start position, the start relay #37 did not energize to supply power to the start solenoid so no click no crank simply dead. This was an intermittent issue that I wasn’t aware of until my wife told me about when it happened to me the other day. I admit I did not confirm in the start position that the relay coil wasn’t receiving the 12vdc to energize it. I had no one to attempt a crank while I made the confirming measurement. The ignition switch has always required an extended rotation of the key to crank. I presume the switch had been replaced before I purchased the car in 2016. When I discovered the no crank, no click condition confirmation bias took over. Certainly not the best approach in diagnosis, but given the cost of the switch, and it being intermittent, I needed to eliminate this rather likely fault since she is the primary driver of the Denali. My pathetic excuse is replacing the switch would be a lost less than a tow and all the hassle.

Reactions: Redbeard

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
admit I did not confirm in the start position that the relay coil wasn’t receiving the 12vdc to energize it.

Just be aware that the starter relay #47 has the 12 volt positive power whenever the key is in the RUN or START position.

This power comes through fuse 36 first, then through the ignition switch, then through the Park/Neutral switch to the starter relay.

The relay is activated when the PCM receives a 12 volt signal on the yellow wire from the ignition switch, AND the PCM receives the proper authorization from the BCM to start the engine. This authorization comes from serial data communications between the PCM and BCM. This allows the PCM to then supply the ground side (not positive power) to the starter relay.

IMG_20201002_135506~2.jpg

Reactions: Mooseman

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I second going for the Standard Motor Parts ignition switch, but given how cheap the Dorman is (from RA or Amazon), and order it to have on hand. If the original is fine, then you have a cheap spare. I got lucky finding a BWD one to keep as a spare for the Envoy, or if you can find a Carquest branded one (those were supplied by BWD). Otherwise the local junkyard might be the best bet to source a OEM *used* one.

With it being intermittent though, I wonder if maybe there's some corrosion build up under the fuse box that could be causing that issue, or the starter itself?

Reactions: Mooseman

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Just be aware that the starter relay #47 has the 12 volt positive power whenever the key is in the RUN or START position.

This power comes through fuse 36 first, then through the ignition switch, then through the Park/Neutral switch to the starter relay.

The relay is activated when the PCM receives a 12 volt signal on the yellow wire from the ignition switch, AND the PCM receives the proper authorization from the BCM to start the engine. This authorization comes from serial data communications between the PCM and BCM. This allows the PCM to then supply the ground side (not positive power) to the starter relay.

View attachment 111534
Indeed I referenced the wrong relay good catch. Very good information regarding the handshake BCM/PCM to supply return ground for starter relay coil. Obviously I did not review the wiring diagram provided by Mooseman as I have previously. We could actually have a neutral safety switch involved in the issue as well. All great info, thanks!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online