2004 Trailblazer - Tick - Oil Change - I6 4x4

webdawg

Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
When I change my oil I have lifter noise. I do not know anything about the internals of the engine but I do know that something is hydraulic.

People keep saying...no lifters, but is is something like that noise.

The funny part is...the noise goes away at about 5k on the oil change. I use synthetic oil and a decent oil filter.

I am about to change again but I was just reading a bit about how the engine works and I was wondering if before this change, right now, I should throw something in to try and clean out some oil passages.

What do you guys think...I was reading about plugging a PCV valve tube, but this does not have one...

Any recommendations?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You could try a flush before the change. I've seen a few videos of this one being used and seems to work well.

7120030_lqw_mf3_pri_larg.jpg

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Strange that it goes away as the oil change progresses. usually they get louder...

You could try a flush.

webdawg

Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
So I was thinking about doing this but some forums are talking about clogging the oil screen.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
On the pickup or the VVT screen?

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Strange that it goes away as the oil change progresses. usually they get louder...

Yeah. Mine sounded like a diesel when I started it up. I will say this though, the 4.2 I6 was the smoothest running GM motor I ever owned.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, the flush is supposed to dissolve the junk, not break it off in chunks. If anything, it might clean out the CPAS but if you want, you can pull it out and clean it anyway. Won't hurt anything. As for the pickup tube, again, it would probably dissolve anything that gets stuck there.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I wouldn't worry about it.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
On my Toyota it was the screens that would get dirty. Once cleaned it was GTG.

I've used the Amsoil flush on the TB and was pleased. Engine looks really clean inside vs yellow. It also quieted the engine.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They are hydraulic.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nope. They are self adjusting.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member